Car has 2 catalytic converters. If I remove one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
For those of you who input useful, constructive information, I appreciate it as always.

Here's my hopefully useful and constructive input:

I don't know much about Fords in specific, but newer vehicles generally have their main cats right up against the exhaust manifold, in the engine bay.
There are heat shields all over the place, so it might be hard to identify. The second cat will be under the car, and you'll probably only be able to see it if you raise the car a bit, or push a large mirror under the car.

The main cat will have wires attached to the exhaust both before and after the cat. Your second cat may or may not have wires before and after it. Unless somebody with first-hand knowledge chimes in, you'll need to actually look for yourself to see if your second cat has wires before and after it.

If the second cat does not have wires, then it is unmonitored. The engine's computer will have no idea whether it's there or not. In that case, you could remove the cat and nobody would be the wiser.
If the second cat does have wires, then it is monitored, and your Check Engine light will illuminate if you remove it.

Some vehicles have a NOx-reductive cat as the second cat. These are not 3-way cats, and may not be monitored. Such a cat might be used on vehicles designed to maximize fuel economy.
They would enable to vehicle to run a bit leaner, saving gas, and would rely on the NOx-reductive cat to clean up the additional NO emissions resulting from lean running.

Since your car is a PZEV, that means its emissions system is warranted for 15-years. I do not know if that covers the catalytic converters. OE cats are ordinarily covered only for 8-years or 80K miles.
If you still have your Owner's Manual and other documentation, you will also find a warranty booklet, which will tell you if the cats are warranted for 15-years. Alternatively, your Ford dealer can also tell you that.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Since your car is a PZEV, that means its emissions system is warranted for 15-years. I do not know if that covers the catalytic converters. OE cats are ordinarily covered only for 8-years or 80K miles.
If you still have your Owner's Manual and other documentation, you will also find a warranty booklet, which will tell you if the cats are warranted for 15-years. Alternatively, your Ford dealer can also tell you that.

I'm 99% sure the cats are included.

.. In that case, you could remove the cat and nobody would be the wiser.

That's true. No aft O2 sensor, you'd be good to go unless you need to use your 8/80 Federal emissions warranty at some point for the other CC, which this vehicle still has plenty remaining. Now you're screwed.

Only if you live in a PZEV State. I'm not sure MI is on the list for that. If you do live in a PZEV State, a whole boat-load of components are covered for 15yrs/150mi. PCV valves, spark plugs, O2 sensors and CCs included.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back