Car for 100 mile commute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fsdork
specifically looking for something with a high enough front end to reduce the likelihood that another vehicle or large animal would ride up the hood and into the windshield and "A" pillars. After those criteria are addressed, look at fuel mileage.

Because Arizona is full of deer and meese.
wink.gif

Echo the 4 cyl camry, but also consider Ford Fusions. Might get substantially more in the $8-10k bracket.

I have a 60 mile commute when I'm not in a van pool due to weird hours, and the Camry pulls in 30-34 MPG.

Cruze Eco stick-shift. It'll get 40+ mpg daily without trying. It's a very safe car, rides nicely for long trips, and is pretty quiet. Did the 100 mile daily commute thing in it for a few years, which is why it was purchased in the first place.

Other off the wall alternatives might be a Buick Verano or Regal. Mid-30's highway, and both are built like rolling vaults.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: fsdork
specifically looking for something with a high enough front end to reduce the likelihood that another vehicle or large animal would ride up the hood and into the windshield and "A" pillars. After those criteria are addressed, look at fuel mileage.

wink.gif

Echo the 4 cyl camry, but also consider Ford Fusions. Might get substantially more in the $8-10k bracket.

I have a 60 mile commute when I'm not in a van pool due to weird hours, and the Camry pulls in 30-34 MPG.
Arizona actually does have a decent amount of deer and forest. My neighbor across the street wrecked his truck last week from hitting a deer (he was out of town).

Up where the OP lives, there's deer out there too.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Ford Fusion

+1

The new models are very quiet and are very smooth riding. The Fusion is one of the best midsize sedans on the market overall IMHO, albeit they are heavy and do not get top rankings of fuel efficiency.

One thing no one here is thinking about: fuel tank size.

My wife had a 90 mile each way commute.
Who wants to get gas every 3rd day? Some tanks are quite small.

Altima 4cyl was what we bought.

Bigger tank and better mpg than Fusion. That mattered to us.
The Altima held up fine and was cheap used.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Apparently the term "mid-size" means different things to different people? It might be an illusion that bigger cars are safer than little cars but we're sticking with it.

If you look at the stats, midsized cars are safer than mini and small cars. Even safer than large cars if you're looking at the death rate. Very large cars have even lower death rates. The safest seem to be midsized and large SUV's. Very large SUVs had a higher death rate. A mini car has a death rate that's 3 times higher than a large SUV.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/vehicle-size-and-weight/fatalityfacts/passenger-vehicles

Originally Posted By: eljefino

wink.gif

Pronghorn, Mule Deer, and Elk possible on this commute. They aren't plentiful like back in the home state of Pa but that works against you because you don't expect to see them on the road. If you manage to hit a deer here you and the deer are having a really unlucky day.

Some interesting and unexpected choices named. Many thanks.

Whatever you get, put balloon tyres on it. Smallest wheel that fits over the brakes. Quieter and smoother running, and often better mileage aswell.

Definitely midsize. Few small cars except recent ones(new) are not sentences with Tha kind of daily commute.

Plenty of choices but small cars just feel bleech on long trips especially as they age.

Maybe a Buick LaCrosse with the 4 cylinder e-assist. They're rated at 36mpg highway. They might be a couple grand over 10k though.

I did a 100 mile commute for 40 years. Did the commute in the Impala,Caprice,Explorer and the rest in Panthers. All vehicles were V8 and fully loaded. They all averaged around 23-25 MPG on regular fuel. The Explorer burned more fuel but was better in nasty weather. All were good comfy vehicles for the commute and for long road trips for vacations.

Managed to get 150-250K or more miles on all of them without major repairs.

I would not want to do that 100 daily commute in a uncomfortable vehicle.

Hear ya on the 10K buck budget. There are Panthers around and police agencies are sending their 2011 P71 Interceptors to auctions as we speak. Best would be a take home Highway Patrol unit with service records. A good used Town Car would work well for your commute. My county still has a lot of Crown Vics on patrol. They like the CVPI a lot better then then new Explorer Utility or the new Taurus. A California Highway Patrol CVPI would work for you but it would be a hike for you to get one. Whatever you decide make sure you have a real good independent mechanic check it out first.

Just IMHO. To each their own

An 08-09 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L would be a good choice. You can find one with pretty low mileage with that budget. Mid size and is pretty comfortable. That drivetrain has a timing chain not a belt, and is pretty bullet proof. Would net you over 30 mpg.

Originally Posted By: 390pi

that's because I can do 800 miles easy with a lot of motorway on 1 tank.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

You mean Kilometers?

Ah, I miss the days...

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
I did a 100 mile commute for 40 years. Did the commute in the Impala,Caprice,Explorer and the rest in Panthers. All vehicles were V8 and fully loaded. They all averaged around 23-25 MPG on regular fuel. The Explorer burned more fuel but was better in nasty weather. All were good comfy vehicles for the commute and for long road trips for vacations.

Managed to get 150-250K or more miles on all of them without major repairs.

I would not want to do that 100 daily commute in a uncomfortable vehicle.

Hear ya on the 10K buck budget. There are Panthers around and police agencies are sending their 2011 P71 Interceptors to auctions as we speak. Best would be a take home Highway Patrol unit with service records. A good used Town Car would work well for your commute. My county still has a lot of Crown Vics on patrol. They like the CVPI a lot better then then new Explorer Utility or the new Taurus. A California Highway Patrol CVPI would work for you but it would be a hike for you to get one. Whatever you decide make sure you have a real good independent mechanic check it out first.

Just IMHO. To each their own

Gas has always been relatively cheap, but have you ever done the math on what a 30+mpg would have saved you? Over 40 years I'm sure it will be well into the 6 figures once you figure in the interest implications.

I do about 55 miles a day but most of it is 55mph roads, so I find almost anything is quiet enough at that speed. I always debate getting a diesel but my fuel bill isn't quite high enough to make it pay, especially with the potential for much larger repair bills and I'd jump from mid 30's to maybe 50mpg?.

Anyways that's my opinion, everyone has to do their own commuter car calculus, personally I'd try one of the midsize 4 cyl cars if I was doing 100 miles at 75mph everyday with cheap gas available.

With a 10k budget, I'd buy the nicest 2006/2007 Accord I could find. Looks great, reliable (transmission issues were finally gone), and gets good gas mileage for it's size. I'm sure you can get an '08+ model, but I absolutely hate the 8th generation Accord.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

You mean Kilometers?

No, miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back