Car dying which oil Engine KNOCK (Honda Civic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd put a bit of money into it. $200 bucks for a fairly late model Civic? Remids me of my wife's 94 Eclipse. We sold it to an exchange student for $2000, thinking we'd suckered him. The thing was burning so much oil and the idle was ridiculous, owing to a broken timing belt. Well, that guy drove that little POS to Canada, Mexico, the Grand Canyon, California, and said all he did was add a little oil every now and then. I think, when he left the country, he sold it for an equal amount and made his money back. Moral being, you can't underestimate a car's potential useful life, serious mechanical issues or not.

Going to talk to them tomorrow. I am going to start it and hear her run, take a drive. What do I look for. excessive temp, fluctuating oil pressure etc. how to tell which bearings are #@$%! or even if they aren't fully crapped yet but rather mildly crapped

Quote:

Brian,

It wouldn't surprise me if her old 1994 Eclipse is still on the road today.

I loved that car. We swapped cars when she had our first kid. She got the CR-V.
frown.gif
At the time, my commute was over an hour. It was not a very comfortable car for that. Toward the end, I was running 10W40 Pennzoil HM. That's when I found my used 1997 SAAB 900 turbo. Dream of a car that was running like a charm until I became the third car in a 3 car pile-up. Four doors, five speed, and easily mod-able
blush.gif

Before I went on my own, I worked for a landscaping company that used a old Dodge Ramcharger as one of it's plow trucks. It had a horrible knock to it. The kind of knock that makes you wonder if it's going to make it home. They used to use Delvac 15W40 in it and it ran like that for the 3 years I was with the company plowing snow. It was also used as a backup truck for pulling landscape trailers in the summer. I used to plow with it once in a while and it was fine and never gave me any problems other than I was constantly wincing listening to that horrible knocking. Sometimes cars go for a long time with a knock if you are willing to ignore it.

My old profile wouldn't log in so hear I am.

I went today and started the civic. I had to wait for the key to be found. The battery was of course dead as can be, so I jump started her. It clattered quite loud upon startup, but within 3 seconds (oil pressurizing), the sound went down. It was still pretty loud. But it did quiet up from initial startup. Also as it warmed up the sound decreased to a reasonable level. With the hood closed it would still be audile at this point but not easily. The oil in it is dirty, but has NO wear metals or particulates in any manner (at least visible to the naked eye). The coolant is nice and clear also, so no head gasket issues. The noise is definatley on top of the engine. But it is NOT a Knocking sound rather a Loud clatter, it does increase as the rpms increase. It seems to mellow a little though. Also if you throttle it it will quiet for a second as if it is playing catchup. It had 5W-30 put in after the whole oil fiasco. I was not able to check oil pressure as it has only an idiot light on the dash. but the light never came on in the 15 minutes it ran with all the varying rpms and all. I in my opinion think it is the wrist pin on one of the cylinders, I will check by pulling a plug off of each cylinder, if this is so i think it should reduce sound drastically when that cylinder is taken out ???? I am going to run for the first 1000 miles Rotella 15W-40 with a 1/2 bottle of VSOT..... what are your thoughts opinions helps etc...?>?>?>?>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back