cant stop oil leak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 91 accord and i been through the auto rx treatment and it stopped all my seal leaks, including my cam gear leak. but i still see drops of oil, so i find that its from my drain plug. i changed this plug with an OEM one and it still leaks just as it did before.

whats up with this? can i fix it? i am not going to buy a new pan, heck naw. is there another kind of washer that i can get that seals between the bolt and the pan like a rubber washer? i suspect the threads on the pan are stripped a little.

What kind of gasket does it use? The factory plug on my Neon had a built-in gasket on it. The "single-oversize" self tapping plug in it now has a white nylon washer on it, snug fit, I picked out the washer at a local parts store. Check the gasket on your plug at the next oil change. If your threads are holding OK, just remember the threads don't seal anything, the gasket does. My old Volvo used a copper washer, use it one oil change, turn it over for the 2nd oil change, use a new one for the 3rd oil change, etc. Yes, I went through a lot of those copper washers! Sounds like a new gasket/sealing ring, or new plug & gasket, would fix your car. Just don't try to fix it with brute strength.

[ March 26, 2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

o wait is that the plastic washer? u guys think its wise to put a rubber gasket like thing between the pan and the bolt flange...im changing my oil friday (hehe finally going to get 800 miles)

Both Fumoto (www.fumotovalve.com) and fram make a pepcock type of drain plug that makes draining oil simple. I have 5 fumotos on my cars. Never have to remove a plug again, just push the lever in and push down and it opens the valve. So, if you ave a leak you could install one of these with a sealer on the thread to assure no leaks there.

Fumotos do not leak via the pepcock, solid piece of brass equip.

[ March 27, 2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

thanks, but i dont rerally like the idea of having that...its nice but its over kill for my cleap *** . hehe. sealer thread eh? humm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back