can't get juno and/or comp to find modem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have xp pro. I've tried everything to make it work,but nothing. I tried taking the old modem out,booted the comp,inserted the driver,turned off the comp,installed the modem,booted comp,and nothing.does the "com port" matter?

It's been a while since installing a modem, but I seem to remember they liked to have IRQ conflicts. What does it say in Device Manager? If it's an IRQ issue, try using another PCI slot (unless you're old-school all the way, in which case try the other ISA slot
wink.gif
).

Com port does matter. Also beware there are only 2 "real" com ports and the rest are aliases.

In your modem driver you tell it what com port to "mimic" then hopefully on next bootup the computer sees the new com port and what's attached.

If you have unused serial ports in the back of the computer, boot into BIOS and turn them off. This will free up an avail.

Don't rule out a bad modem.
If its PCI, move it or swap into a different PCI slot.

it's a new internal one.I see a dark brown slot at the bottom then 4 white ones. how do i know which com port is which?

Go to Device Manager, Right click on the modem in question and look for the COM port that Windows is reporting this modem to be installed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back