Can you refuse a recall?

Is this the recall?

Recall Reference Number: 22S47

What is the issue tied to this recall?

In some of our Escape® SUVs, Maverick® pickups and Lincoln Corsair® SUVs, there’s the risk of an underhood fire, melting engine components or smoke, increasing the risk of an injury. In the event of an engine failure, engine oil and/or fuel vapor may leak and accumulate under the hood of your vehicle.

What caused this issue?

Unfortunately, we’ve had some isolated engine manufacturing issues that cause engine block or oil pan breaches that result in 2.5L HEV/PHEV engine failures. The fluid dynamics created by the Under Engine Shield and Active Grille Shutter System could increase the likelihood of engine oil and/or fuel vapor accumulating near other sources of ignition, such as the exhaust system.

Source:
https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...call repair for affected,in the FordPass® App.

Is this the recall?

Recall Reference Number: 22S47

What is the issue tied to this recall?

In some of our Escape® SUVs, Maverick® pickups and Lincoln Corsair® SUVs, there’s the risk of an underhood fire, melting engine components or smoke, increasing the risk of an injury. In the event of an engine failure, engine oil and/or fuel vapor may leak and accumulate under the hood of your vehicle.

What caused this issue?

Unfortunately, we’ve had some isolated engine manufacturing issues that cause engine block or oil pan breaches that result in 2.5L HEV/PHEV engine failures. The fluid dynamics created by the Under Engine Shield and Active Grille Shutter System could increase the likelihood of engine oil and/or fuel vapor accumulating near other sources of ignition, such as the exhaust system.

Source:
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/recall/recalls-and-faqs/2020-2022-ford-escape-engine-manufacturing-recall/#:~:text=Recall Reference Number: 22S47&text=The recall repair for affected,in the FordPass® App.
Yes

If i want to get service done at the dealership but there are active recalls out on the vehicle does the dealer by law have to do the recall or can i tell them not to do a certain recall that I dont want done because it involves drilling and removing parts from the vehicle?
It might hurt the overall value of the vehicle if the recall is not performed.

Reactions: hrv
Appears to be keeping the car from catching on fire if the engine lets go?

I assume because its a safety recall, there obligated to do it? Just a guess on my part.

The Details​

Vehicles Recalled
• 2020-2022 Ford Escape hybrids and plug-in hybrids.
• 2020-2022 Lincoln Corsair hybrids and plug-in hybrids.
• 2022 Ford Maverick hybrids.
The problem: An engine failure could release oil and/oil fuel vapor under the hood that could make its way near hot surfaces or other potential ignition sources.
The fix: Dealers will modify the under-engine shield and active grille shutter.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'd have it fixed. I have an attached garage, if that thing catches fire it could take my house out too, no thanks. If they did some drilling and it concerned me I'd rustproof the areas in question.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'd have it fixed. I have an attached garage, if that thing catches fire it could take my house out too, no thanks. If they did some drilling and it concerned me I'd rustproof the areas in question.
I agree, Ford is spending millions of $$$ to get this issue fixed

Read the recall, it only catches fire after the motor blows up, which isn't going to happen in your garage.

Also the drilling is of the undertray which isn't metal.

I can tell if the seat belt buckle isn't engaged for the 1 in a million chance it fails to engage during the 20 or 30 miles I might drive it a month. If it doesn't engage, I don't worry about it too much. And 50 years ago hardly anyone used seat belts, yet we managed to survive.
I mean that kind of thinking gets you into an accident on the way home from work. :ROFLMAO:

I had a recall on our 2010 Wrangler involving the transmission skid plate. Jeep wanted to replace the plate with a hoop. The recall stated that the plate could more easily collect grass and weed debris and contact the cat causing a fire. I had the Jeep at the dealer on several occasions where they asked me about it and I refused because I didnt want the smaller hoop on it. I told them to leave it be and they did.

Read the recall, it only catches fire after the motor blows up, which isn't going to happen in your garage.

Also the drilling is of the undertray which isn't metal.
Ok so why not get the work done? It still seems like a no brainer. Here's what is see: In some of our Escape® SUVs, Maverick® pickups and Lincoln Corsair® SUVs, there’s the risk of an underhood fire, melting engine components or smoke, increasing the risk of an injury. In the event of an engine failure, engine oil and/or fuel vapor may leak and accumulate under the hood of your vehicle.

I don't see anything about it catching fire if the motor blows up. It can happen from a fuel or oil leak too.

Last edited:
For safety I would say yes but otherwise no. My 2014 Cruze diesel has one for the NOX sensor. Had it to the dealer for other things and told them not to do it. I'm not getting a CEL so I'm not fixing what isn't broke. Last I checked with a friend that is a GM parts manager there is a nice supply of the sensor so I'm not worried about it being in short supply any time soon.

I should save the postcards I get over the passenger airbag in my 08 silverado. Noone ever sits there!
LOL I've probably received about 200 postcards about the power-steering assist motor recall on my Cobalt. Even a few phone calls and messages too.

If i want to get service done at the dealership but there are active recalls out on the vehicle does the dealer by law have to do the recall or can i tell them not to do a certain recall that I dont want done because it involves drilling and removing parts from the vehicle?
You can decline the recall work.

I suspect there's probably a requirement at a dealership level, with huge liability exposure if they don't perform it.
My wife's Fusion had the door latch recall and I got it done. A few years later, Ford re-issued the recall... Why ? Turns out a lot of dealers (must be a lot since they re-issued it) took vehicles in for the work, kept the vehicles all day, did nothing, then called to tell owners "it's ready". Ford published a website where owners could input the p/n of the installed door latches to confirm if they were replaced or not !

but they may also be able to have you sign a document taking full responsibility.
That would be a worthless piece of paper. Imagine someone did this and got in an accident and hurt other people. Every defendant's lawyer in the US would eat that up, with the owner, the dealer, and the automaker fully liable.

It's a seat belt buckle. I'd list that as probably a top priority in my vehicle. Seriously have you lost your marbles. Get it fixed.

If you're worried about your car, insist on being present at all times. When I take my car in, I can watch them drive it from the lot to the bay, and out and park it.

Are you for real? You have a DEFECTIVE seatbelt buckle. A critical life saving device. Fix it.
Are you serious? This is a 33 year old recall. I would guess there are no parts or they have been sold as NOS in the past 20 years.

And why would @atikovi be taking thata old hotrod to a dealership for anything?

I am sure he will fix his buckle if it isn't latching.

No choke on the carb. Hard to start at 70°F, real hard at 50. I don't want some 25 year old tech who never even saw a carburetor, burn up the starter trying to get it running. The last two times I've had cars in for recalls, both for passenger airbags, they cracked the dash on both cars.
Is that a 750 Holley 3310? Why no choke? Is the blade still on the air horn?
Put an E choke kit on it and be done - and happy.

- Ken a.k.a "Al, The Mechanic"

I'm not too comfortable just handing over the key to the dealer service department on a car with this under the hood,
Buy the part(s), install them, and send Ford an invoice. Every recall I've seen says if you paid to have the work done, they'll reimburse you.

Just out of curiosity, what is this recall that you want to refuse? Is it safety related?

I still haven't performed the GM ignition cylinder thing where the fix was an insert into the key:
140313-gm-keys-js-1151.jpg

I've already replaced the ignition switch (which is the proper fix) so I don't need the recall. I've offered to bring a key and the recall card by a local GM dealer, and for some reason they say that I have to bring in the whole car, which I find objectionable.

Last edited:
Back