Can You Identify The Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many here know I am very against using an oil filter for more than (1) OCI. While doing a search on Honda and why they recommend using the same oil filter multiple times I came across this Honda dealer oil change video. The tech compares a Honda filter to an aftermarket filter and states the reason to use a Honda filter is due to it having a "SAFETY" valve and the aftermarket does not. So, what say ye? Can anyone identify the aftermarket filter?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPx2CTgQFok&feature=player_embedded

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
As many here know I am very against using an oil filter for more than (1) OCI. While doing a search on Honda and why they recommend using the same oil filter multiple times I came across this Honda dealer oil change video. The tech compares a Honda filter to an aftermarket filter and states the reason to use a Honda filter is due to it having a "SAFETY" valve and the aftermarket does not. So, what say ye? Can anyone identify the aftermarket filter?

Hey that was my dealer when I owned a CR-V.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I see that the Honda oil filter he is showing has cardboard end caps.

It looks like the FRAM OCOD filter.
I "THINK" the aftermarket is a Purolator.
21.gif

Not sure who the aftermarket filter was.. I don't think I have seen a filter with that bright of a yellow colored media. maybe it was the camera, i dunno.

Last edited:
The design of the element on the aftermarket filter looks similar to a Mobil 1 filter I dissected and posted. I've never cut a new one open so not sure on the media color.

I do not think the aftermarket filter in the video is the same application as the A02 as it appears larger. Perhaps it crosses to the older Honda filter.

The Honda A02 is made by Honeywell (Fram) so it is not surprising that it looks like a Fram. I have a couple cut open posted here.

I'm surprised they did not use an A01 for the comparison.

Nice promotion for Santan Honda oil change, but beyond that not much to see here.

Safety valve? I guess the tech means bypass/relief valve and if the aftermarket filter shown (looks like a DW to me) doesn't have one then it's not the correct application for that Accord, period. Notice the tech didn't show the dome of the element, many filters have the bypass built into the dome of the filter so we really don't know if the aftermarket has one or not.

As for the flow comment, cosidering the engine itself it ~15x more restrictive than 'any' oil filter, flow is not a concern/issue, including aftermarket filters. Fyi, the Fram made(to Honda specs) A-02 shown in the video was ISO tested at ~65%@20um, far from stellar compared to many aftermarkets. The A-02 is the most common filter used by Honda dealers.

All that said, local Honda dealer had a ~$10 oil change promo with coupon recently using the A-02, I had no problem letting them do it for that price. No brainer.

Toyota and Honda both seem to be intentionally using very low efficiency filters. I fail to see what benefit they get out of that, as many owners are using high efficiency aftermarket filters on those vehicles without issue.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Can anyone identify the aftermarket filter?

If the aftermarket filter doesn't have a bypass valve, then it wasn't specified for the Honda vehicle he was talking about. That video was completely worthless.

lol.gif
Next time don't mince any words, tell us how you really feel. And it's a "safety valve", not a bypass valve. Get that straight!
48.gif

If the aftermarket filter doesn't have a bypass valve, then it wasn't specified for the Honda vehicle he was talking about. That video was completely worthless.

In what sense was it worthless? IMO, it kind of seems like the Honda tech was implying "ANY" other filter than a Honda OEM filter will do harm to your Honda engine. I asked if anyone could identify it because it looks like it is standing upright on its bypass valve, or as he says "SAFETY" valve.
I am kind of new to the internal parts of an oil filter and knew there were filter guru's here that might be able to look at the filter and identify it and tell if it indeed does have a "SAFETY" valve.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac

lol.gif
Next time don't mince any words, tell us how you really feel. And it's a "safety valve", not a bypass valve. Get that straight!
48.gif

Sayjac, you beat me by a few seconds as to my reply. But, it is funny though, "SAFETY" valve.
crackmeup2.gif

In what sense was it worthless? IMO, it kind of seems like the Honda tech was implying "ANY" other filter than a Honda OEM filter will do harm to your Honda engine.

Of course, the dealerships wants to sell Honda parts. For cars under warranty, most people will use the OEM filter just to be safe in case there's a filter related problem. But the law says an aftermarket part won't void the warranty (Magnuson Moss Act).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions ... "

Of course, the dealerships wants to sell Honda parts. For cars under warranty, most people will use the OEM filter just to be safe in case there's a filter related problem. But the law says an aftermarket part won't void the warranty (Magnuson Moss Act).

Z06,very good point and well said.
Other than MC oil filters (made by Purolator) can you think of any other factory oil filters that are just as good or better than aftermarket filters?
I can think of a few, Mopar, AC-Delco, Nissan, that have their version, but I always see MC at the top of the list.

MC is definitely good. I've heard Nissan is like Honda ... fiber end caps, but not sure of their efficiency.

Have you seen this chart yet?
eao_efficiency_500px.jpg

MC is definitely good. I've heard Nissan is like Honda ... fiber end caps, but not sure of their efficiency.

Have you seen this chart yet?
eao_efficiency_500px.jpg

WOW! That Amsoil filter looks awesome! Who makes them? And, I guess you can only get them from an Amsoil dealer.
That MC efficiency rating is kind of low. I see that chart is circa 2011; are the MC's still that way?

That MC efficiency rating is kind of low. I see that chart is circa 2011; are the MC's still that way?

Not nearly as low as Motorcraft advertised them as "80% @ 20 microns". And a whole bunch better than the Honda and Toyota OEM filters.

Not nearly as low as Motorcraft advertised them as "80% @ 20 microns". And a whole bunch better than the Honda and Toyota OEM filters.

Man, y'all are educating my mind so much about oil filters here, it's scarey!
shocked2.gif

But, I will stay set in my ways about certain things, like NEVER use an E-CORE. Or.... well, you know.
34.gif

I think the filter in the video is a 14459/3330/OC330 sized Purolator/Bosch/Mahle.

I'm tempted to e-mail the service director and ask him to provide me the number of the aftermarket filter that does not contain a "safety" (bypass) valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back