Can someone recommend oil + filter for my 1.8t??

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 TDT is likely the best otc oil for 1.8t. It'll clean the engine as much as is possible for a motor oil.

Quote:

was it all 1.8's that had sludge issues or just certain versions? Thankfully I seem to not have a sludge car.... but that didn't help me from having to do the TB immediately after buying it out of fear!

The longitudinal 1.8Ts are the one’s prone to sludge. However I have not heard of any example of a sludged 1.8T where VW 502 oil was used (which Mobil 1 0W-40 is) and the victim had good maintenance records. In other words, evidence is that these engines sludge from substandard oil and/or missed oil changes.

Thanks for all your input everybody. I've got 2k left before my next OCI and I'll let you know what I use. Also, look for a UOA around that time because I'll be putting one up to see how the M1 0w40 held up in my engine. I haven't found many UOA's for the Audi 1.8t's although I did find one where someone had ran it in a VW 1.8. Are there any major differences between the VW and Audi 1.8t's?

Even though I want to try an oversize Purolator filter for my next change, how do you guys feel about using filters for two OCI's?
M1 filter in particular?

The Audi 1.8T is longitudinal just like the Passat's. Same engine. The other VW's (Jettas, GTI's etc) have the transverse 1.8T which has a high oil capacity and more HP.

Two OCI's on a smaller filter probably won't hurt you providing you don't go over 5k per OCI and drive the snot out of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back