Can Penetro90 be used on guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Mystic,

My feeling is that unless the primers and bullets/cases are shellacked or sealed, Penetro90 would penetrate its way into the chemicals and may cause misfires or "squibs."

It is great for sliding and other moving mechanisms on guns.

offtopic.gif
It is also great for fishing reels.

You beat me to it!!! I was going to ask the same question? I was going to try M1 spray lube but my AutoZone no longer carries it. If I am going to order from Mills Out Door I might as well kill as many birds with one stone as possable.

So MolaKule, I could use in on the slides of a 9 mm Sig but not the rest of the gun, right? Would it be adequate lubrication for the slides?

Can Penetro90 be used on guns, such as slides? Or would it affect the primers in a negative way?

I used Penetro90 on deadbolts and regular locks and it really seemed to both clean them up and make them work well. Seems like a gun slide would also work really good, as long as the primers were not affected by the penetrating oil in any way.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
So MolaKule, I could use in on the slides of a 9 mm Sig but not the rest of the gun, right? Would it be adequate lubrication for the slides?

Penetro 90 carried an incredible load on Bob's timkin machine when I tried it. It should lubricate any metal to metal contact with ease.

Keep it away from ammo though.If WD-40 kills primers,I can't imagine what this stuff will do!

Mark

Mystic,

As I recall, you asked me the same question in a PM and you never read my response.

Sorry, I didn't see the response. I might have been really busy at the time or at work or vacation. I can't remember.

In my case I find that gun oils can find their way to parts all over the gun even if I'm careful. I would not use anything that would cause problems with the primers when there are so many good gun oils on the market.
Just use something like CLP, Rem oil, Hopps oil, and several others.
I use Kleen Bore TW25 B oil. It is a blend of PTFE and synthetic oils. It is uneffected by salt water, resists sand and dust. Good stuff!
I use Tetra gun grease on my slides. It stays put and is very slick and prevents corrosion.

Any type of oil will contaminate primers. This is especially true on rimfire cartridges. Most high grade ammo has a sealer around the primer to waterproof them and prevent contamination. I do not know the effect of a penetrating oil on this sealant. The cheaper stuff (american eagle, winchester USA, etc) has no such sealant on the primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back