Can I use 80 Watt bulbs in low beam housings with stock wiring?

Was looking at these 80/100-watt bulbs, 9007's, Can I run these in my 2001 Grand Prix SE, with stock type replacement housings?
Will they be too hot for my housings? What about the stock wiring, will it handle the increased amp's draw?
Or would this require a wiring up-grade?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh wow, Thanks! I didn't know that for sure. Good to know though. Is there any kind of an upgrade for the 9007's, like they did for the 9006, by going to a 9012?

No

Instead, use the GE/Tungsram Nighthawk Xenon 9007NHX. They may have been discontinued, but existing stock may still be available here and here.

Another option is the Philips Nightguide Platinum 9007NGP

If you get the Silverstar Ultra, make sure it's the Ultra (orange packaging)

I wouldn't recommend going with higher wattage bulbs they'll pull more amperage and naturally get hotter. with that being said bulb life will be significantly shorter and very good chance you'll burn up connectors and wiring and damage housings. I have dealt with this ebay seller a few times now for my wife's Sentra and my Rogue his bulbs are good quality reasonably priced and offers free shipping.

I had some 9007's in my old '94 Ford Explorer. Worst headlights and beam pattern I think I ever experienced. No upgrade bulbs at that time helped (through 2003 when I sold it).

I added a set of Hella H4 low/hi beam lights in snow plow housings, below bumper, aimed correctly. Really good after that.

You could the same these days if you are creative at mounting with SEALED 3 90mm LED lights. I did basically that with some Hella 90mm and mounted them in the factory fog light spots of the Sequoia. Aimed correctly, rarely flashed, great cutoff, no glare up, they were also lower than the regular headlights obviously.

Was looking at these 80/100-watt bulbs, 9007's, Can I run these in my 2001 Grand Prix SE, with stock type replacement housings?
Will they be too hot for my housings? What about the stock wiring, will it handle the increased amp's draw?
Or would this require a wiring up-grade?
They will most likely trip the fuse, melt or distort the optics due to heat or damage the plug.

I ran 80w bulbs in my old '89 S10 Blazer in aftermarket housings, the old style square ones. OEM sealed beams where only 35w low 55w high. The 80w bulbs where not really better than 55w bulbs and harder on the electrical system. No HID kits back then, I would go HID for an even stock light pattern.

I don't drive too much these days, would it pay to disable my DRL's or is that a bad Idea?
Do you think DRL's are really safer?
On our 2017 Tahoe - I have to turn on park lights to kill the headlights as DRL - this brings on the LED’s … as an owner of two Tahoe’s - can say they play sad little games with what you don’t get on an LT - (fog lights the worst) it is ridiculous actually considering the price …

It is likely that the 80/100 bulbs will work fine and most cars have plenty of room around the bulb, so the extra heat won't melt the plastic. Most cars wiring can tolerate the higher wattage bulbs. However, they are not the right answer today.

The right answer is a Beamtech LED, 20,000 lumen rating, about $70 on Amazon. They won't overheat the housing, are fan cooled, and they are adjustable, for proper beam pattern.

Not sure? Are you saying that's what I should use?
I only ask because like the H11 bulb, an H9 can be used in its place for a 10 watt bump in output, but you usually have to shave a tab off the inside of the plug on the vehicle.

If this is a reflector housing car instead of a projector I wouldn't recommend going crazy with the output. Reflector housings quickly become blinding to oncoming traffic when they're overwhelmed with output. Heat can also be an issue with halogens. If they weren't designed to have 80-100 watt output it may get too hot and melt something.

I only ask because like the H11 bulb, an H9 can be used in its place for a 10 watt bump in output, but you usually have to shave a tab off the inside of the plug on the vehicle.

If this is a reflector housing car instead of a projector I wouldn't recommend going crazy with the output. Reflector housings quickly become blinding to oncoming traffic when they're overwhelmed with output. Heat can also be an issue with halogens. If they weren't designed to have 80-100 watt output it may get too hot and melt something.
Yeah, probably reflector housings.

I tried the 80–watt 9007 bulbs in a Ford years ago and burned the wiring and connectors to the headlamps. Don't make that change. Those aftermarket halogens are obsolescent anyway. In a few years you won't be able to find them.

LED aftermarket replacements have come a long way. Try them. In my Ranger I replaced the 9007 bulbs (which were terrible) with LED plug-and-play units by Auxito. They work very well for me in the stock headlamp housings. A mechanic buddy uses Fahren LEDs, which are also plug-and-play. The point is that you have better options today.

Get the Silverstar Ultra's. They are one of the best upgrades that won't fry your housing. I've been buying them for 15 years & I've never had one burn out. There are a lot of folks that say they don't last very long but I've simply not experienced that myself. They may of gotten a bit dimmer over time but nothing I could really tell & it would still blind you at night time if looking into the light ha ha. Ebay has been a good cheaper source for those bulbs. They are priced really high at the auto stores it becomes crazy but try not to put a costs on visibility lol. Nov. the highest deer accidents. My son just hit one.. then 1 week later he hit an owl... That's a first. I told him when it rains it pours..:LOL:

I vote Silverstar Ultra's... They have been my go to & would recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade their bulb brightness. Love those era of Grand Prix's.

I don't drive too much these days, would it pay to disable my DRL's or is that a bad Idea?
Do you think DRL's are really safer?
Never disable your DRL. A lot of accidents are explained with the following words "I didn't see them". From someone that comes from the cycle hobby drive visible everychance you get.

Back