Can I run different tire on 4x4 truck ?

I always heard you must using all same tires if h your truck is 4x4

My F150 2010 Platium need 2 new front tires . I’m using NITTO A/T terra grappler G2 LT275/65r/20 I have hard time looking on Amazon ( have $400 Amazon gift card try to get rid off )

Can I run different brand A/T with same size ?

Year ago I bought 2 same tires but now front 2 is worn out but I can’t find that kind of tires on Amazon or Walmart . Because these 2 place I had few hundred of $ gift card from my work .

Just don't use 4x4 on pavement
Unless it's slippery. Never use 4X4 on anything that won't allow a little slip.

OP - always run the 2 matching ones on the same axle. Don't rotate so you have an A (old) and B(new) tire on the front or the rear. Keep both A tires on the front OR the rear.

If you need to use 4X4 a lot, I'd try for matching. In Texas, 4X4 usually means slippery mud or slippery dirt/grass. You are ok on both unless you are riding in 4X4 for very very extended periods of time. In SC, I'm much the same. Slippery mud or wet grass, just enough 4X4 to get out of said predicaments then back into 2 HIGH. I'm not sure if the 2010 Plats came with 4X4 Auto, but I'd take it out of 4X4 auto if it has it. Ford made that pretty aggressive and it will slip into 4X4 way too often IMO in just rain.

Is that a 4 auto all the time? If so then I wouldn’t advise it. If it has a true 2wd mode and you only used the 4wd modes for low traction driving it will be fine.

I’m using NITTO A/T terra grappler G2 LT275/65r/20 I have hard time looking on Amazon ( have $400 Amazon gift card try to get rid off )

You should check your size carefully. That doesn't sound like an F150 size tire. In 2010 the Platinum would have come with 275/55R20, not 65 series. Furthermore, terra grappler G2's aren't even available for 20" rims according to their own website, so the fact that you can't find them on Amazon, well, might be true everywhere for that size.

I don't see a problem running a slightly different tire on a pickup front to rear in terms of tread pattern and wear level as long as they are the same size... Most modern vehicles with AWD and 4x4 systems operate in either an "open center" diff or "2wd with modulated clutch to the other axle" mode for normal driving, both of which allow for plenty of "slip/differentiation" between axles for slight differences in tire size.

The Hankook Dynapro AT2 and Westlake SL369 would be options on Amazon that are similar to the Nitto tires in terms of tread pattern to keep things "looking right."

Personally, I would not usually buy tires from Amazon. Tire's are one of the only things I do not work on myself. It's not worth it. Tire shop time is super cost efficient and cheap compared to how long it would take me to fight with home-jobber equipment to mount tires with. I'd much rather buy the tires and installation and TPMS and road hazard certs direct from the shop that will be installing them. This "packages" the liability for the tires into a neat easy to define circle. Use the Amazon card some other way.

You should check your size carefully. That doesn't sound like an F150 size tire. In 2010 the Platinum would have come with 275/55R20, not 65 series. Furthermore, terra grappler G2's aren't even available for 20" rims according to their own website, so the fact that you can't find them on Amazon, well, might be true everywhere for that size.

I don't see a problem running a slightly different tire on a pickup front to rear in terms of tread pattern and wear level as long as they are the same size... Most modern vehicles with AWD and 4x4 systems operate in either an "open center" diff or "2wd with modulated clutch to the other axle" mode for normal driving, both of which allow for plenty of "slip/differentiation" between axles for slight differences in tire size.

The Hankook Dynapro AT2 and Westlake SL369 would be options on Amazon that are similar to the Nitto tires in terms of tread pattern to keep things "looking right."

Personally, I would not usually buy tires from Amazon. Tire's are one of the only things I do not work on myself. It's not worth it. Tire shop time is super cost efficient and cheap compared to how long it would take me to fight with home-jobber equipment to mount tires with. I'd much rather buy the tires and installation and TPMS and road hazard certs direct from the shop that will be installing them. This "packages" the liability for the tires into a neat easy to define circle. Use the Amazon card some other way.
275/65/20 Nitto G2s are available in SL/116S or E rating, 126.
My daughter's 3500 has Nitto EXOs in that size.
The owner's manual states do not use 4x4 on high traction surfaces.

www.tiresize.com

With the same size you will be fine. What you need to watch is the tread wear. With AWD and 4x4 vehicles you need to be very, very close to the correct tread wear and height. I wouldn't go over about 1/16 difference in tread wear and height of the tire if using AWD or 4WD. Otherwise you will ruin the transfer case and possibly other parts.

With the same size you will be fine. What you need to watch is the tread wear. With AWD and 4x4 vehicles you need to be very, very close to the correct tread wear and height. I wouldn't go over about 1/16 difference in tread wear and height of the tire if using AWD or 4WD. Otherwise you will ruin the transfer case and possibly other parts.
Don't go around corners either, and make sure to adjust your rear tire pressure to produce the exact same revolutions per distance as the front.... (even though the door plate recommendations will produce a larger difference in tire speed front to rear than 1/16th of tire tread)

AWD vehicles have center diffs, and 4WD vehicles either run in 2WD mode on regular roadways, or a modulated "auto" clutched mode, or open center diff, any of which will tolerate differences in tire size without any issues for normal driving. I can only think of a handful of vehicles out there with locked center diffs under normal operation (certain old jeeps).

Driving around with the transfer case locked in 4x4 on regular roads, will trash the t-case regardless of what size tires or what differences there are.

I have different tires on my Silverado. They are different type & size, Blizzacks in back, 2” taller Defenders in front. I ended up like this as I went to a taller all season, but still wanted to use up some older Blizzacks.

I’ve done similar a few years, no problem. I plan to eventually get to the same size Defenders.

Back