Can different name brand cause oil usage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Daughters 2007 Kia Optima started using oil during the past 2 oil changes. It uses 1.5 Qt in 5k. It never used oil before, the only difference is I started using NAPA full synthetic 5w-20. It was on sale for 3.25 a Qt so I stocked up. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake, I have only used Syn in the car but never the NAPA brand.
Can the oil brand be causing this?

Im no expert but my guess would be to say yes, it is possible. Im pretty sure the oil would not have caused any damage to the car if that's what you are worried about. It may be just that brand of oil. Maybe buy some of the oil you used before and run that in the next oci? See if the consumption eases up a little?

Do you do your own oil changes? I take my transit connect to the ford dealer, I think there have been a couple of different guys doing the changes. One guy would put 5 qts in when it only takes 4.5. I wouldn't notice the slight usage because it never went below the full mark. another guy put the correct 4.5 qts in and I would have to top off half way through the oci. It also makes a difference in driving style. a lead foot will burn more oil, has she been driving harder lately or maybe more city driving?

I have a 2007 Honda fit with 235k runs great and used oil from day one.

Hope that helps, I think you are in good shape though. If it uses a little I would worry about it, just top off when needed, still a good deal on the oil.

My crown vic would use 1qt every 2k when using Valvoline Synpower 5w20 (very similar to NAPA). On MC 5w20, Mobil 1 5w20, QSUD 5w30, I had zero consumption over 3500-5k. Needless to say, I stopped using Valvoline.
For 5k runs, I bet there would be lower consumption and equal or better protection from Mobil Super 5000.

Last edited:
Yes. If you were to go back to the oil you were using,I bet the usage would stop.

There are several instances of certain oils in certain vehicles causing consumption.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Yes. If you were to go back to the oil you were using,I bet the usage would stop.

That's how I'd test it. Of course since you got a good sale, if topping off is no issue then you're still saving.

We used in the past 8 years:

Trop Artic - Crown Vic used oil
Mobil Clean 5000 - Crown Vic used oil
Mobil Clean HM - Crown Vic used oil

The last 2 oil changes,we've used Havoline and so far no make-up or oil useage.This Crown Victoria currently has 252,000 miles btw.

Brands DO make a difference.

I've seen on many occasions where brand change led to oil consumption however after the first oci the consumption slowed and eventually stopped.
I'd just monitor the consumption and if it gets to be too much for your comfort level try something else.
Valvoline makes napa branded oil so if its consuming napa brand then I'd shy away from valvoline as well.
I've only seen this happen when using synthetics,I've never seen an oil consumption change when using conventionals,unless there was also a grade switch(thinner)as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back