Camry Rental, impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had to make a trip to Pennsylvania due to my stepson having surgery. I have mostly driven Mustang GTs for many years but at some point I want to add a sedan and keep my Mustang. I see good reviews here on the Camry so I got one for a rental. My driving was in Philly and to Stroudtsburg and that area. I was fortunate to get an SE model with the firmer suspension. I really enjoyed driving the car. The 4 cylinder had good power. The handling seemed good to me. I don't expect power and handling like my Mustang in this type of car. The car was comfortable for my wife and me. I really liked the multi adjustable seats. I liked the outward visibility, especially in Philly traffic. Downtown Philly is a challenge if you haven't been there before. Traffic seemed worse than the Dallas area. Overall, I would definitely consider a Camry. I didn't think to check mileage but it had to be very good.

I think the Camry is an excellent vehicle. The looks have grown on me too, now being the most unique looker in the segment. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase if in the market for a mid-sized.

Personally I like Camry LE better than SE, handling isn't as sharp as SE but the ride is super.

Neither LE nor SE are for attacking mountain roads, so the ride is more importance for a family sedan to me.

For some they don't believe the best selling family sedan is that good, they think that consumers are so dumb and they bought Camry because of Consumer Report rated them at the top of the family sedan. Only when you drive a Camry a good long distance with various road conditions you then see why it was and is the best seller.

The first owner of a 2006 Camry LE asked me to sell it for her as she was moving into NYC and no longer needed a car.
The buyer contacted me by phone as she lived 200 miles away. Her '97 Camry was needed by her 17 year old.
I had NO adjustment problem at all with the 4 cylinder engine. The drive to deliver the car was one I have made zillions of times in a variety of vehicles.
The only reason I can imagine to buy a 6 cylinder version of that car would be to keep engine revs down or if I lived in the mountains.
The 4 was just fine.

I took the plates off at 9,875 miles. I got $600 more than the owner originally paid.

EVERYONE at work said, "Awww, why didn't you tell me?" Kira

I agree. My test drive was 4 days and I got to do city, highway and some country roads, some with 4 people aboard. It was a nice driving car. It was a good looking car in dark gray but I like it in red.

The LE models soak the bumps up better because of more rubber wrapped around the 16" steelies. Better in the snow in this configuration as well.

I completely agree. There is a reason this car is the #1 seller, year after year after year, etc. If the Camry were as bad as some people say they are, the number of sales would have reflected that long ago. Toyota has the formula down pat, and they know it.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Personally I like Camry LE better than SE, handling isn't as sharp as SE but the ride is super.

Neither LE nor SE are for attacking mountain roads, so the ride is more importance for a family sedan to me.

For some they don't believe the best selling family sedan is that good, they think that consumers are so dumb and they bought Camry because of Consumer Report rated them at the top of the family sedan. Only when you drive a Camry a good long distance with various road conditions you then see why it was and is the best seller.

Originally Posted By: JTK
The LE models soak the bumps up better because of more rubber wrapped around the 16" steelies. Better in the snow in this configuration as well.

Yes, the LE has an aspect ratio of 65 versus a 55 in the SE. There's a Special Edition Camry that has 225/45r18s on it. Ouch! They look nice but no thanks around here with the broken up roads.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I would agree on that. But i do like the body styling tid bits on a SE model. They often have slightly different apperance packages and darker grill. Some SE have the bigger rear sway bar that i do like.

The XLE v6 i have has been great so far. Power is on par with my g35 and half the cars on the road. Obviously i perfer the handling and dynamics of the G35 a little more, since its modded. Nothing to complain on the camry. It just works, i wish it had a better intake plenum design so we can do plugs without pulling it like some other V6's.

I had a Camry SE as a rental a few years ago...the "sport" suspension just doesn't fit the car. It also makes the ride terrible...and I suspect the performance tires would be bad to dreadful in snow. My biggest complaint was and is that it is still wrong wheel drive.

I'll be honest, a few years ago when I worked for a contractor for the State of New York, their fleet vehicles were all new Camrys. I had to drive one to and from Brooklyn a handful of times, and frankly, it was quite pleasant to drive. Smooth, quiet, the interior was well built and attractive. It wasn't very athletic handling but everybody knows that, and it's not what you are there for. The backseat is really spacious, the sound system is great, the touchscreen is nice, it gets really good fuel economy... The 6 speed automatic is phenomenally smooth and the gears are well spaced..

Frankly, I have nothing bad to say about it. It's a solid car.

After reading your comments, I would like to try an LE or XLE also. My wife wants heated seats, even though we live in Texas where we have limited cold weather.

A really strange phenomenon. Whenever I'm forced to drive a Toyota of any model, there are certain parts of my body that act strange. Like they shrivel up or something.

Anybody else?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
A really strange phenomenon. Whenever I'm forced to drive a Toyota of any model, there are certain parts of my body that act strange. Like they shrivel up or something.

Anybody else?

Nope.

Anybody else?

Stop driving with the AC vents on down there
whistle.gif

Anybody else?

Come on,....
you designed really technical and complicated stuff for nuclear reactors/energy market and you can't make a nice design flying car?
(or a flying jacuzzi :p)
why do you care about driving appliances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back