California farmers fear wells will soon go dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Nearly 25 percent of California's $5 billion rice crop will be lost this year due to lack of water, say experts."

A 1/4 of $5 billion? Thats a lot of rice...........

Water consumption in California...

CA%20water%20consumption.jpg

source: UCLA Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

Well, my neighbor (I'm in San Diego) has a lawn that looks straight out of the jungle of Vietnam. And yes, they water like crazy.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Actually, eastern Washington State has pretty limited rainfall also.
That's where I'm at, near Colville and we are in a drought here too. Last summer I was in one of the local drillers store picking up new seals for a hydrant and one of the drillers coming in mentioned they had seven wells lined up due to dry or very low producing.

Simply put too many people in a location that cannot
reasonably support them with a critical natural resource, desalinization is possible large scale but the end cost to the user is extremely high and it will be NOT be affordable for many.
But that could be the way to drastically reduce the
population there and reduce the strain on the resources.
Hopefully most of these recent arrivals will go back to
Mexico, Central and South America.

But honestly the AG business needs to rethink what they are doing. Like another poster astutely mentioned, the water being rapidly extracted from the ancient aquifer is causing the ground to compact more tightly which will prevent it from recharging to its previous levels of the past. This is very dire stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Is electricity scare anymore in CA?

Not really. Someone built some power plants in Mexico(can't get permit for power plant in So Cal) then import into So Cal.

While residential use is but a Smidge of overall H20 consumption, the residents of the southern part of the state, are simply too self important to deal with what will happen when the drought really begins to kick in and effects are felt by rich and poor alike.

I'm In san Diego and all the neighbors have lush green lawns and have no fear of increasing water bills and will make no adjustments toward what is coming. When the spigot dribbles out, perhaps then they might freak out and get indignant, but nothing more.

Our culture is not set up to deal with hardships.
Nothing great about this generation.

What's interesting is the same people that complain about "Big" Ag and how they use so much water, also complain that we should be supporting our local farmer and buying locally from Farmer's markets.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
One of the big problems with water in California is the legislators that are saving the planet.

And of course it has nothing to do with "climate change" and lack of rain with excess heat right?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Is electricity scare anymore in CA?

Not really. Someone built some power plants in Mexico(can't get permit for power plant in So Cal) then import into So Cal.

I don't believe that is accurate
http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=11311

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
One of the big problems with water in California is the legislators that are saving the planet.

And of course it has nothing to do with "climate change" and lack of rain with excess heat right?
whistle.gif

OK, I'll take the bait.
grin.gif

Wasn't California desert to start with? Then man came along an tried to change it to what it wasn't ("climate change") and after a while, Ma Nature had enough and is reclaiming the environment, in effect changing back to what it was. So if something ends up being what it started out to be, what really changed?

I'm not saying do whatever and disregard any consequences, but nature does have a way of retaking itself despite what man tries to mold it to be.

Seems CA is quite an energy producer.

http://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=CA&CFI...6552f1a5#tabs-5

Quote:

Quick Facts

Excluding federal offshore areas, California ranked third in the nation in crude oil production in 2013, despite an overall decline in production rates since the mid-1980s.

California also ranked third in the nation in refining capacity as of January 2014, with a combined capacity of almost 2 million barrels per calendar day from its 18 operable refineries.

In 2012, California’s per capita energy consumption ranked 49th in the nation; the state's low use of energy was due in part to its mild climate and its energy efficiency programs.

In 2013, California ranked fourth in the nation in conventional hydroelectric generation, second in net electricity generation from other renewable energy resources, and first as a producer of electricity from geothermal energy.

In 2013, California ranked 15th in net electricity generation from nuclear power after one of its two nuclear plants was taken out of service in January 2012; as of June 2013, operations permanently ceased at that plant, the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station.

Average site electricity consumption in California homes is among the lowest in the nation (6.9 megawatthours per year), according to EIA's Residential Energy Consumption Survey.

Last Updated: July 17, 2014

Originally Posted By: opus1

OK, I'll take the bait.
grin.gif

Wasn't California desert to start with? Then man came along an tried to change it to what it wasn't ("climate change") and after a while, Ma Nature had enough and is reclaiming the environment, in effect changing back to what it was. So if something ends up being what it started out to be, what really changed?

I'm not saying do whatever and disregard any consequences, but nature does have a way of retaking itself despite what man tries to mold it to be.

I am not an expert on Cali.. (But I did recently sleep at Holiday Inn ;)). I think though the eastern part was very very lush in the 1800's with mega snow pack that feed the california aquifer. Snowpack is much reduced. As mentioned the aquifer is quickly being pumped dry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
Water consumption in California...

CA%20water%20consumption.jpg

source: UCLA Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

Do you know what that unlabeled purple part of the pie is?

Yes, it is Urban Residential (SF, Exterior) 5%.

That graph tells me the cities can start extreme conservation measures, and it would barely put a dent in overall water consumption.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
What's interesting is the same people that complain about "Big" Ag and how they use so much water, also complain that we should be supporting our local farmer and buying locally from Farmer's markets.

BINGO! Across the nation, we should be developing local production for local use. Robert Rodale of Organic Farming fame promoted this concept decades ago.

It makes no sense that we concentrate our produce production in one state on the far west coast and ship it to the rest of the country via rail and truck.

Reducing California's big ag would lessen it's load on water use. Simple.

"California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on ...Jul 10, 2013"

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and...at_without.html

California at least protected a tiny fish called the delta smelt and stopped farmers and other humans from getting the water that belonged to this fish.

Officials are also draining water from lakes and reservoirs along the American and Stanislaus rivers to encourage a salmon to swim back to the ocean faster than normal. These water releases directly into the ocean are so powerful that safety alerts are issued and people are warned to stay away from these rivers.

It appears that someone forgot to tell these experts that there was a bit of a drought in California and these experiments are destroying thousands and thousands of acres of farm land. There's been no proof that this experiment was needed and no proof that a stunt like this has ever works and it appears that it's no working now. The solution? More water is scheduled to be released.

It's comforting to know that our government is taking care of us.

Draining water into the ocean.

Delta smelt.

Bingo. I bet more of this water problem could be solved by exposing idiot politicians & rabid eco-nit-wits who are absolutely clueless regarding the consequences of their own actions. Or they just enjoy using the system to stir up trouble and turmoil for everyone else.

Many are still on their green magic carpet ride, following their own pied piper, smoking the wacky-tabacky and claiming VISION!

Bravo Sierra. They're insane.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
"Nearly 25 percent of California's $5 billion rice crop will be lost this year due to lack of water, say experts."

A 1/4 of $5 billion? Thats a lot of rice...........

Chinatown will suffer!
grin.gif

Last edited:
What I don't get is why some idiots water their lawns in the middle of the day when the water evaporates very quickly in 90+ degree heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back