CAFE and the USE of Lower Viscosity Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Origin of CAFE dates back to early 70's shortly after OPEC embargo.

And the trend of using thinner and thinner oils predates that by over a decade. I mean multiweight oils have been around since the 1950's. Several GM manuals from the 60's that seem to shock the thicker CAFE-hating crowd exist showing 5W-20 being recommended for winter use. The beloved 5W-30 some "rebel" anti-CAFE resistance fighters here love to use in lieu of 0/5W-20 was also a CAFE oil, one that at one time manuals circa the 1980's and early 90's stated not to use "in extended highway operation"...

Like I said, those “discussions” have been going on every single day, usually in multiple threads at a time, year after year with what you just said being repeated over and over and over. And what has it accomplished? And what has anyone done to try to actually change the CAFE regulations besides complain about them?

As a long time member it’s fascinating to watch the long running obsession BITOG has had with CAFE and how it’s gone on for years with nothing new being said, and how it will go on for many more years to come.

And since 5W-20 has been in widespread use now for about 20-23 years. My 01' Mercury Sable has 235,000+ miles on it with the vast majority of oil in the sump being 5W-20...

Like I said, those “discussions” have been going on every single day, usually in multiple threads at a time, year after year with what you just said being repeated over and over and over. And what has it accomplished? And what has anyone done to try to actually change the CAFE regulations besides complain about them?

As a long time member it’s fascinating to watch the long running obsession BITOG has had with CAFE and how it’s gone on for years with nothing new being said, and how it will go on for many more years to come.
😄 ... nobody if forcing you or anyone else to read threads. If you see the word CAFE, best thing to do is click a different thread. You whinning about what people talk about here won't change anything either. ;)

😄 ... nobody if forcing you or anyone else to read threads. If you see the word CAFE, best thing to do is click a different thread. You whinning about what people talk about here won't change anything either. ;)

True but that will limit those of us who tire of this subject to a sparse handful of threads like what are you eating now and someone’s endless help me buy a car screed.

True but that will limit those of us who tire of this subject to a sparse handful of threads like what are you eating now and someone’s endless help me buy a car screed.
Maybe it's time for those who only want to see things discussed that they only want to read 👀 to give up BITOG. :unsure:

Last edited:
It doesn't protect better, but if might protect "adequately". The very backbone of tribology shows that more viscosity results in more MOFT, which is the only thing that keeps moving parts from physically contacting each other. The first line of defense to prevent wear is the film thickness (MOFT) which is dependent on viscosity, then when that fails and MOFT goes to zero, the second line of defense is film strength (AF/AW additives). Why operate closer to the zero MOFT realm when you have the choice not to by using a bit higher viscosity.
We're on the same page, which is why I dropped the 20 grade oils. Had my engines been specifically designed to run on 20 grade oil it would have been a different story. But when the same engine with the same internal components used "thicker" oil in other parts of the world it had me wondering. After consulting people a lot smarter than me about it I think I made the right choice. Ragarding the words adequate, and adequately, I never cared much for them, but I think they chose them for a reason. ;)

FTR these threads do get old, but some of us can't resist. There's a slew of tiring dead horse beating threads that come up often, but CAFE and thick vs. thin always take the prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back