Cable TV and Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently pay Verizon $167/month for Cable, Net, and home phone. The wife has finally agreed to sever ties with the home phone. I tried to work with Verizon and get my bill reduced, no dice. I told them to cut it off and they asked when. So I am looking around at Dish, Directv, and Comcast. My question is does anyone have net service through Dish or Direct? If so is 20 GB of data a lot? I have zero idea how much my family uses now.... Also is the connection speed decent? I don't need anything like I have now (Fios) but I don't want to wait half an hour for a youtube video.

If you can do anything else with wires I wouldn't get satellite internet. Actually I'd go with a cell phone data plan before getting satellite. Too laggy, too expensive, and there's a data cap.

Maybe your router has a logging feature to see what your household uses for data. Streaming video is a huge guzzler.

Can you get DSL as well as FIOS? Can you get a "dry loop" which is a phone line with no dial tone just internet?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I currently pay Verizon $167/month for Cable, Net, and home phone. The wife has finally agreed to sever ties with the home phone. I tried to work with Verizon and get my bill reduced, no dice. I told them to cut it off and they asked when. So I am looking around at Dish, Directv, and Comcast. My question is does anyone have net service through Dish or Direct? If so is 20 GB of data a lot? I have zero idea how much my family uses now.... Also is the connection speed decent? I don't need anything like I have now (Fios) but I don't want to wait half an hour for a youtube video.

Depends on what you do. I put a program that meters the data going through my laptop. I'd go over 5GB on my one computer, and I don't exactly sit here streaming Netflix on it or downloading giant files. My wife downloads a few movies every month from the digital copies that come with the disc, or iTunes. They are 2-3 GB a piece. Then there is streaming Netflix/Amazon on our TVs. Anyway, I'd guess we get pretty close to 20GB, if not more, and it is just the two of us.

I can't speak about other services though. I've had Fios for 5 years now. It is probably more expensive than other choices, but it works 99.9% of the time and is fast. Coming from Time Warner in NY, and then Cox living elsewhere in Virginia, I'm happy to have called Verizon customer service all of once in the time I've had them. Too many nightmare stories about Comcast for me to ever consider them.

~$160 sounds about the going rate for a bundle once you get some years on it. Do you have extra goodies for the TV service like DVR, extra channels, etc??

I know my Time Warner all-in-one went up to that range some months ago, but after a few calls I got it down to ~$136.

Dish internet is too expensive, cell service is sketchy where I live and there is no Fios, so if I want internet, it's gotta be cable. Wish I had more choices.
frown.gif

Joel

I dumped DirecTv yesterday after 11 years. For their non-HD service I was paying $53 a month. It went up to the normal $79 so I called them again (I just tell them that I don't/ will not pay the $79 and they would knock off $25) The rep said if you will not pay the $79 then she would only knock off $10.

I cancelled it since I can go to Dish and get the same channels for $51 for the first year and 2nd year would be $71 total. But this would be for HD plus two DVRs. No up front costs and those prices are set incl all taxes/fees for the 2 years.

I'm going to hold off on DISH but I was not impressed with Directv and their costs / service.

As far as Internet I'm using fiber with 50mb up and down, 100 gig per month for $41 and my family uses about 35-41 gig a month. We stream a lot of Netflix, youtube and internet radio.

I know that here Directv is comcast for their internet provider which means cable. I've been over at the neighbors and its slow most times of the day (a speed test says 1.5mb but its slow to respond back and forth. Once it gets going it is still only fair) and dead (wait is the rule) during peak times. Buffering and such to the point where I'd have a serious time with it.

I just wish channels like Discovery, History and such would either put all their content online (like ABC, CBS, NBC) or charge a x number to allow folks to watch their channels online.

Those channels and ESPN2 (and where ever Indycar is at) are really the only channels that I watch. Everything else is OTAHD which I get quite well with a antenna in the attic.

Bill

I'm getting sick of cable tv myself. I have only the basic digital service with no extra pay channels like hbo. I got a letter end of last month from comcast saying they are going to start charging $1.99 for every DTA box you get. when the digital transition happened, you got three of those DTA boxes free. now they will charge for them and they are raising their rates across the board. They are trying to jerk me around to see what they can nickle and dime me for.

NO! I have standard def, no DVR! It really cheesed me off when they wouldnt lower the price.
Originally Posted By: JTK
~$160 sounds about the going rate for a bundle once you get some years on it. Do you have extra goodies for the TV service like DVR, extra channels, etc??

I know my Time Warner all-in-one went up to that range some months ago, but after a few calls I got it down to ~$136.

Dish internet is too expensive, cell service is sketchy where I live and there is no Fios, so if I want internet, it's gotta be cable. Wish I had more choices.
frown.gif

Joel

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have Cox for Cable, Internet and Phone at $50/month for 2 years.

I got cox for internet, phone and tv. I have limited basic, so it is less than standard basic. I'm charged $80/month in San Diego. Where are you getting cox for $50?

I hate Cox’s customer service. They lie and lie. Looking at going Dish.

Little more than a year ago I called to cancel cable and internet, they proposed if I agree with 2 years contract with current services they would credit/discount the package to $50/mo for all 3.

For TV I got standard basic without DVR or cable box, for internet I got basic at around 1.2-1.3 Mb down load and 0.3-0.4 Mb up load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back