Bye-Bye Windshield...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my wife tells me I'm never spontaneous, and never just do anything. So for Christmas, one of my cousins sends a two DVD set of all the ancient 8mm movies my long deceased grandfather had taken, starting in the late 1930s, converted to DVD. My daughters (ages 15 and 11) were fascinated with the video, so I decided, what the heck, we'll drive to St. Louis (12 hrs one-way), and check out all the sites in the movies (zoo, ancestral home, grave of my Mom's big brother who died 10/28/41 at age 6, etc.).

So, on the way home, after a very cool one-day visit to STL, I'm just cruising down I-55, and from a flat bed several cars ahead, comes the infamous flying rock. I saw it coming, but there was nothing I could do to maneuver away. And this is what happened after the hit (which sounded like a bullet hitting us).

Broken-UL-1.jpg

Broken-UL-2.jpg

Alas, traffic conditions did not allow me to chase down the perp and impose accountability for their sloppy and careless loading of a rock-infested piece of dirt-moving gear. . .

So, for the rest of the remaining five hours, the girls and I watched the three cracks slowly expand further and further out into the glass. That was fun.

Looks like we'll be getting a new windshield. At least Florida requires all auto insurers to provide zero-deductible windshield coverage. The twist will be that Toyota specs a special noise-insulating windshield for the Hybrid Camry. It will be interesting to see if I get any pushback from USAA on the special glass.

Well, there, I've vented now -- thanks to anyone who bothered to "listen." Grrrrrrrrr.

Keep us posted, that is an interesting question. And keep doubly vigilant for a "good enough" imposter to be swapped in blindly. Might want to go directly to a dealer to get the glass replaced, so then youre more or less guaranteed a Toyota (PPG glass most likely) part.

If you were to catch up with the person, what would it have done? My impression is that burden of proof is on the person with the broken windshield, and that is more or less impossible... plus there are general disclaimers preventing any real liability.

There are dirty dumptrucks that drive on some of the roads (interstates) in DE. They drop junk all the time, while driving 80 - its REALLY bad. Ive been lucky, but Ive always been worried about what recourse I have should something like that happen.

Good luck.

That stinks, your hybrid Camry sounds like a nice vehicle. What kind of mpg's did you see on your trip? Don't feel bad, my boss lost his windshield on his Expedition to a wild turkey coming in for a crash landing. To late for Thanksgiving meal and to messy.

Make sure you get an OEM windshield. I used to run a windshield mfg company, and the Chinese aftermarket glass is really lousy compared to glass from the USA or Japan. PPG is very good.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
Make sure you get an OEM windshield. I used to run a windshield mfg company, and the Chinese aftermarket glass is really lousy compared to glass from the USA or Japan. PPG is very good.

Can you recommend any other brands?

I doubt USAA will give you any problem. They are a very good company and are member owned.

Originally Posted By: mikered30

Can you recommend any other brands?

PPG, Saint-Gobain and pilkington (sp?) are all OE quality glass. Lots of Mexican and Chinese inferior-quality items.

Unsure if Splintex is a Saint-Gobain product (like SEKURIT), or if it is made by someone else...

Sure:

PPG (anything)
Pilkington/Triplex (US/Europe/Japan/Korea cars) or NSG/Nippon-Libbey (Japanese cars) - really anything - may have different brands
Carlite/Ford (Ford/Mazda)
Chrysler Safeguard (Chrysler)
Saint-Gobain/Sekurit (usually Europe cars)
Asahi/AP (Japan and US cars)

Avoid anything made in China. Anything. FYG is a big brand. Mediocre and unsafe sometimes.

When Utah was rebuilding I-15 just before the Olympics I replaced my 1996 C1500 windshield TWELVE times!
shocked2.gif
UDOT and the contractors had a "fund" to fix peoples windshields and every time they would refuse.

The last 7 windshields I had to pay for out of pocket. My insurance company made me sign a wavier stating that my glass coverage was declined when they renewed me. If I refused to sign it they would drop me which would make me a risk in ANY insurance companies eyes. (you can see why I hate insurance companies for the most part)

My Corolla has 3 cracks in it. Until it can not pass safety inspection it will stay that way. Each crack I saw the truck that threw it and the trucking company will not pay if they did not drop it or if they did not have a mud flap.

Sorry to see your Windshield Ekpolk.. That is BAD.

Make sure whoever replaces it that *if* (they will) they scratch the frame, they clean it, prime/paint (and wait for the stuff to dry) the damage or rust city. My 1986 Jetta has major rust around the frame from a yahoo
06.gif
who came out and replaced one.

Bill

Trucking companies will not take responsibility and accept liability for this. I have chased them down to their yards before and been through the entire mess and the fact is it was cheaper for me to pay for the damagwe out of pocket rather than pay for the deductable. This is something that needs to be rectified in the case of private users of public highways and roads. Although commercial ops pay extra fees and insurance for their commercial use of roadways they seems to be well insulatged against liabilty for the damages and injuries they cause.

check your state laws for what's legal to drop. For example chicken feathers in some states.

Maine says if you're taking gravel 7 miles or less from the pit you don't even have to bother covering it.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Trucking companies will not take responsibility and accept liability for this...

I've found that to be the case as well, both with commerical trucks and debris from passenger vehicles. My parents got hit with a sheet of ice that flew off the top of an SUV and smashed thru the windshield of their new Pontiac Vib (last winter). The driver of the SUV saw it happen and stopped for my dad, gave insurance info, etc. My parents insurance (Allstate) would not persue the SUV owner's insurance and covered the w/s replacement themselves.

Bill in Utah, I never thought about paint damage to the w/s frame! You know they've got to take a royal beating on a swap out. Problem is- I doubt that your average company will apply touch-up paint AND wait for it to dry. They'll say it will compromise the adhesive I bet.

Joel

On my 1986 Jetta it is the only rust on the car. And it is bad.

All the rocks here from the @$#^! "professional"
smirk2.gif
semi truck operators have put thousands (yes thousands) of rock chips in the front of my Corolla. My Subaru has a dozen or so on the side of it from these idiots. If I was in charge, they would have to put diapers on their loads, cover them and most of FINE them if they do not. Public notification of their fines and use this in a court of law so you can get them to pay.

Our judges around here are so stupid on the actual law so they always favor business.

When it comes time for my Corolla to get its new windshield I'll do 2 things;

1. Take the car to them and make sure they install in a shop. None of these guys who come out to you.

2. Have them put in writing a lifetime rust warranty on their install on the frame of the vehicle. That makes sure that they take their time and prime, wait, paint, wait and do the job correctly.

I did this with the 96 C1500 and no rust on it since the last replacement.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: DrinkDuff77
Interesting, my Mazda3 has Saint-Gobain/Sekurit glass and not the Carlite/Ford

thats because its made in Japan.

Avoid anything made in China. Anything. FYG is a big brand. Mediocre and unsafe sometimes.

I needed a new windshield a couple of years ago for my 02 Camry. I called my local PPG installer (found them via PPG's website). To my dismay they showed up at my door with a piece of FYG. It was going to take another week to order a PPG, and I would not have a second vehicle for the following week (I intended to park it for 2 days to let the glue cure), so I accepted the FYG. Optically it was as good as OEM (I think it was an AP Tech), the tint is a little darker. It took a few rocks and got chipped at a few places since, but no crack. Over all I am quite happy with it.

FYG seems to be the OEM for GM/Toyota/Honda in China. According to this article I found, it seems to hold up well against rocks (at least for the one application they tested).

http://www.windshieldrepairjournal.com/windshield_repair_5_02.pdf

At least they are available to buy.
I had to take out my broken one and ship it 450 miles to be copied, then pack and reship the new one. At least it fit perfectly when finished.

db_original_roof-windshield1.jpg

db_31-12-08_windshield_installed__640x480_1.jpg

--------------------------------
car_progress.jpg

Quote:
At least they are available to buy.
I had to take out my broken one and ship it 450 miles to be copied, then pack and reship the new one. At least it fit perfectly when finished.

*whistles*
How much did that run you?

I just recieved a similiar ding to my windshield on the Ranger but it's right in the middle. Why it hasn't cracked yet haven't a clue. Hoping it will hold off till spring maybe I can get it patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back