buying tools as a hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you guys buy tools kind of as a hobby? Just like you guys buy oil that's on sale I do the same thing only with tools instead. Of course I don't always wait until there onsale. My thinking is you can never have too many tools. It always seems like I need to go out and buy another tool everytime I do a project. But hey it's a fun hobby for me. I like it. A little expensive lol but oh well.

It was getting that way with me, But I have since put the Brakes on.
Now I have a rule: Every tool MUST pay for itself!

I buy tools if they will help me to do a job or anticipated future work.

My hobby is finding the us made part, so I'm supporting workers and the tax base here in the USA.

Yep.

I usually buy at least one $300+ tool a month.

Last month, it was the American Forge and Foundry 200t jack.

This month, it was the Ingersoll-Rand W7150 cordless impact.
grin.gif

I suppose that I will stop once my priorities change.

As a hobby? Only in the context of buying a set of antique tools for one of my antique tractors. Some have been at auctions, some have been in estate sales.

As far as daily use tools, no.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Just like you guys buy oil that's on sale I do the same thing only with tools instead.

When my dad passed, I think I inherited enough tape measures to supply a medium sized construction firm. He certainly collected tools.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Yep.

I usually buy at least one $300+ tool a month.

Last month, it was the American Forge and Foundry 200t jack.

This month, it was the Ingersoll-Rand W7150 cordless impact.
grin.gif

I suppose that I will stop once my priorities change.

Th IR impact is over $400 which is over your monthly allowance. Why the IR can I ask? I know it has better specs than the Dewalt for example, but with the Dewalt I could buy a bare tool and save $$.

I like to stop in pawn shops when I am in other towns to see if I can find a good deal on some snap-on stuff.

I have been buying axe, hammer, sledge heads at yard sales, markets and auctions when I get a chance. Then I mess around refurbishing them in the shop when time allows.

I have the tendency to buy tools I do not need when I see them on sale.

Originally Posted By: yucca
I have been buying axe, hammer, sledge heads at yard sales, markets and auctions when I get a chance. Then I mess around refurbishing them in the shop when time allows.

I have the tendency to buy tools I do not need when I see them on sale.

Do you make your own handles? A quality handle can be quite expensive.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

Do you make your own handles? A quality handle can be quite expensive.

A local distributor carries hickory handles from TN at a reasonable cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back