Buying rental cars - gas octane issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

The last time I rented a car it was a 2005 Toyota Avalon that took 91 octane gas, so that got me thinking that no doubt 99 percent of people renting one will fill it with 87 octane gas to save money before they return it, so my question is if you purchase a former rental car that takes 91 octane gas and almost everyone who has ever used put 87 octane in it, what, if anything can you do fix any damage the low octane gas might have caused?

No.

Except of course a new engine.
Is this a real issue, though? Maybe an oddball case here and there.

Last edited:
I would never buy a rental for many reasons.

You can't do anything to reverse any damage that may have been done. New cars have knock sensors which sense lower octane and reduce power accordingly to reduce knock under these conditions which protects it from damage.

I would change all fluids, use quality fuel injector cleaner and start using the recommended octane. The car will adjust with time
and begin to run at maximum efficiency.

There is no permanent damage to the engine for using lower octane gas, if it has knock sensor. I had been using regular in '94 LS400 that requires premium without any engine problem and I did not hear any knocking in the engine with 87 octane for regular driving. The only time I can felt the effect of lower octane was passing Death Valley in summer on the way to Vegas. It was so hot at Death Valley, the engine had trouble accelerate uphill from 85-90 MPH with 87 octane, it had no problem with premium at the same hill several summers before.

Id be more concerned with how people drive the car than what gas they filled it with.

I'd expect only 25% of the longevity of a car bought new or used... especially big issues with the AT.

My Taurus was a rental with 34k. I'm now at 102k with no issues and car drive as good as the day I bought it.

All the Panthers in my household were former rentals...The mileage ranged from 8K to 20K miles...My 88 Town Car was a former rental...I bought it with 14K miles on it and kept it till 300K miles with the original tranny.

All I know is I would never buy a pickup truck from a rental agency. I personally know Enterprise rents pickups to companies whose people work on wind turbines and other major construction projects. Those trucks are never right when they are returned after a project.

My last rental was a Cobalt Sport (with heated leather high back bucket seats, a power moonroof, 18" chrome wheels, and a factory Pioneer sound system with a sub in the back)...

The owners manual for it recommended 91 for its Ecotec.... but stated that use of 87 would only result in reduced performance.

I would doubt that many people have put 91 in it.

I've had a cutlass ciera and chevy corsica with RPO codes that indicated they started life in a rental fleet. They lived long happy lives.

I'd have worried more in the early 80s when people probably stuffed leaded gas in. Besides you still get a remnant of the factory warranty right?

Rentals can be winners or losers and I don't have enough money to gamble so I don't buy them. As to the main question on the Avalon. Since it is a lower performance engine (not turbo charged or HO), I think there should be no problems if a lower octane fuel was used. As others have said, I'd be more concerned about the AT, brakes & suspension. A good inspection of the tires will give you some indication as to how the vehicle was driven. If I insisted on buying a rental, I would have a real mechanic look & drive it.

virtually no modern car can be damaged by low octane fuel. Modern knock sensors are super sensitive and will pull timing at the slightest suggestion of knock.

Now there ARE a million other reasons why you want to be cautious about a rental car.

One of them is me!

Look in the owners manual of the car you're considering. Most cars that need 91 will accept 87 without damage. However, I do know of at least one vehicle that needs 91, but 89 is the bare minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back