Buying a Used Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not buying a used car. But I have and probably will again. But wondering this out loud: How can one know the "already worn" damage on a used car. Such as the lease turn-in, after say 3 years, where the lessee never changed the oil. Is there a test to show the condition of the engine? Compression test? And if a 3 year old car that previously never had the oil changed passed, does it matter (that the oil was never changed before) going forward? A somewhat silly topic I admit, but not totally out of the question.

It won't tell ME anything, because I don't know about this stuff. And I assume the dealer will finally change the oil before putting it on the lot. So what I see on the dipstick and cap might look good and not reflect prior neglect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Daryll
It won't tell ME anything, because I don't know about this stuff. And I assume the dealer will finally change the oil before putting it on the lot. So what I see on the dipstick and cap might look good and not reflect prior neglect.
If you look down the hole where the oil cap goes and you see a clean engine chances are that it's ok and if it looks like tar then walk away.

Atleast you can check for varnish or sludge on the valvetrain

Compression check wet and dry will definitely give you an idea.

And i wouldnt worry just about the engine

Then again if it were me, Id check every square inch of the car even for drugs stashed up sonewhere lol

I guess the real question is if the car looks good, say after "just" 3 years...and passes a compression test, does it really matter if the oil was not changed before? I get it that neglect in one area suggests overall neglect. But truthfully not changing the oil seems to be the only serious problem that neglect can cause in 3 years. Outright abuse is another story.

I think you are over-thinking the purchase of a used car. The best way to mitigate any potential problems would be to purchase a used vehicle with a track record of above average reliability i.e. Toyota, Honda, etc. Better yet, purchase from a private owner rather than a dealer.

One thing you must remember is purchasing a used vehicle involves an amount of risk ... if the risk is too great for you then buy new.

I get it. I guess my real question is just hypothetical. Wondering if neglect doesn't do damage, but then no longer neglected, will it matter? Sort of like asking if I ate cheese and ice cream all the time but my heart checks out good at some point "X", then I eat healthy going forward, did it really matter that I ate junk before "X"?

The only way to know is to see a Carfax that showed meticulous dealer maintenance. Also, you might find a private owner that kept all receipts.

Last edited:
If the car has a service contract the manufacturer may have a record of the oil changes.

Otherwise most dealerships will have a Borescope (A Fiberoptic Camera) that they can run in to let you see how clean the valvetrain and/or bottom end is. If it looks like its covered in tar then pass on that vehicle.

Usually the interior condition tells alot of how the car was maintained. If stuff is broke off, torn, dirty, and bulbs are burned out, chances are the engine was probably maintained similar.

Originally Posted By: brendan310
The only way to know is to see a Carfax that showed meticulous dealer maintenance. Also, you might find a private owner that kept all receipts.
Don't expect Carfax to be that detailed, it only reports what is reported to them, and based on my experience thats mainly inspections, title transfers and license renewals. If a wreck was not reported to the insurance company and/or the repair paid for by the insurance company it will not be reported by Carfax.

I would never buy a lease turn-in. In fact, some of the worst used car values Ive ever seen have been lease turn ins. Often it is only a few thousand dollars saved versus a new car, and IMO it is rather silly to have lost effectively 1/3 of the vehicle's life (considering that most go shopping for a new car when the old one gets to be roughly 100k) for 2/3 the price.

But if I am buying a used car, what I am looking for is ALL the records. Besides the fact that it has to be in like new condition, I need all the paperwork, no signs of funny issues (all tires original and match, etc.).

Seeing that the original owner actually cared and spent on the car is the only way that I would be willing to buy a car. And Id rather buy one with more miles and lots of records than some lease turn-in where the original owner knew they were getting rid of the car, likely drove it like they stole it, gave it minimal free maintenance, etc.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
I think you are over-thinking the purchase of a used car. The best way to mitigate any potential problems would be to purchase a used vehicle with a track record of above average reliability i.e. Toyota, Honda, etc.

IMO, bad idea. Those who are clueless tend to flock to so-called "reliable" cars because they know consciously or unconsciously they're mechanically inept. Though after three years, they can do well with occasional oil changes and maybe a set of brakes and tires.
Quote:

Better yet, purchase from a private owner rather than a dealer.

This, but a 3 year old car probably invovles a payoff to get title.

A lease turn-in workout great for me; 2 years old, 18K miles on it for less than half of the sticker price. Of course, at the time Fords depreciated quite a bit--not sure of how it is now. But like most things, it's probably not best to generalize. It just depends on the situation.

I wouldn't buy a used car without service records. The lease return I bought was maintained at the dealer, and had 4 oil changes, which was the only service due. The previous owner even changed the factory fill early!

As far as "how much damage can be done", well, the answer is the same: it depends. My car came with a synblend, has a big sump and is easy on oil, and I bought it in SoCal, so if the guy had never changed the oil over the first 18K it wouldn't have been the end of the world. I wouldn't have bought it, but I doubt that significant life would have been taken off of the engine. 18K on a sludge-prone Toyota engine with no oil change? It could be close to the failure point. I think with most cars, you can do a good bit of permanent damage in 3 years or 30-40K miles.

usually the overall condition of the car says alot its usally not just an engine that gets left out best bet is to buy somehting that has records or have a trusted person who knows cars look and drive it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back