Buying a set of Kumho Sense 205/65R15, because....

Status
Not open for further replies.
LinK:
[URL='http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Sense&partnum=065HR5KR26&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes']http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...romCompare1=yes
[/url]

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Kumho Sense 205/65R15 for a 2007 Toyota Corolla CE (this is the base trim of the Corolla and it comes stock with 185/65R15 Goodyear Integrity tires, the volume trim "LE" of the Corolla comes with 195/65R15's.)

I'm currently on 195/60R15 General Altimax HP tires, they're mounted on a set of 15X7 alloy wheels. I'm having alignment issues and there's inner edge accelerated tire wear. Once I get the new set of tires, I'll have it aligned as well.

As to why I am choose this particular set of tires, the reasons are as follow:

1. I'm choosing the 205/65R15 tires over 195/65R15's because I wanted the extra sidewall. The roads of NYC are very punishing, I am finding that the ride on my current Altimax HP's pretty uncomfortable and disturbing. According to the spec sheets, the 205's are actually only very slightly wider than their 195's, this is good because I don't think wide tires are good for the Corolla.

2. Why Kumho Sense? Well, they're cheap and according to pictures found online of the actual tire, they're cheap looking and rubbery----this is good. This probably means they're not excessively reinforced, and I expect that it will absorb bumps and potholes like a balloon.

3. The reviews are generally positive.

4. These tires are fairly lightweight. These are the lightest 205's at only 18 lbs. each.

5. In choosing this size, I understand that the rolling diameter will have changed from 24.2 inches to 25.5 inches, this will raise the height by a little more than half an inch. This is not a problem, the extra clearance will help and also this car has no-ABS, I will mentally compensate for the odometer/speedometer.

------------------
So, what do you think?
Am I an idiot?

Should I have gone for those Michelin Defenders that cost 2X as much, and weighs 5 lbs. more of unsprungy weight. In my experience, for a 2600 lb. compact car like my Corolla, unsprung weight is a big deal.

I am discovering that despite my past 'sporting' pretensions, I really prefer a grandpa's ride.

Last edited:
1. Firestone Lifetime Allignment.
2. I have read good reviews on that tire.

from my understanding wouldn't your speedo read a little off using out of spec tires? I'm OCD and that would bother me but to each their own.

I went from 195/50/16 Kumho solus K25 (OEM tire to my car) to 205/50/16 Cooper CS4 grand touring tires.

World of difference let me tell you.

While these are different tires, my coopers compared to your kumho sense, going from 195 to 205 does help with pot hole absorption lol and overall ride quality.

Speedo reading will be off by +/- 1mph.

Now if you really want comfort, get a lincoln marquis or equivalent... sofas on wheels on a magic carpet ride lol

Thanks for the vote of confidence.. now this Firestone Lifetime Alignment thing is.. intriguing.

kumho-sense-kr26.jpg

kumho-sense-kr26_.jpg

Last edited:
I went from 185/65R15's
to 205/60R15's....

No alignment issues.

Note that the Altimax HP's in 205/60R15 have a max pressure of 51 PSI...
I put 45 to 47 in, no cupping...

Other 205/60R15's I'm running are max of 44 PSI, putting 40 in...

First number is tread width, in millimeters...

Second number is sidewall height, as a percentage of tread, 205 times .60 equals height in millimeters...

Hence a wider tire with a smaller percentage yields the same sidewall...

Do you have your original rims still? I assume they are lighter than the 15x7's you have now. Also I think if you slightly pinch the tires on 5.5" wide rims that it helps increase the shock absorption of the tire.
My Focus came with almost new Cooper starfire SF340 tires, and the one thing they do do well is absorb bumps with their mushy sidewalls. Everything else they do is OK, nothing terrible, nothing great.

The Sense is OK, and probably a quality tire at a good price, but I would've gone with their Ecsta LX Platinum, which is their premium touring tire, likely better quality than the Sense and better handling while still maintaining good ride comfort. It is available in every size you mentioned in your OP.

Why not the Altimax RT43? It should give you a smoother ride than the HP's. Do you like your Generals other than the ride quality?

How many miles on your car, and have you ever replaced the shocks? Monroe and Gabriel are both running rebate specials until the end of April.

The original steelies are gone, they are in the size 15x6 and according to various internet sources they weigh about 18 to 20lbs. (not bad.) My current Alloys are 15x7 Motegi SP10's with an offset of +42 (steelies were +45) and are about 14.5 pounds, according to TireRack. I do regret that they are 7 inches wide as that does have an impact on ride quality since the sidewall is less willing to bend with that wider width.

The Altimax 43 seems to be a good choice, also a light tire but I guess I'm a little leary of General tires in g. eneral now (pun intended.) So, I'm going to try something different. I'm going to check out the Ecsta LX.

the car has 90,000 miles driven mostly on the punishing roads of NYC, shocks and struts are all original. They seem to perform as well now as they did when I bought the car. I've actually never been happy with this car to be honest: it rides poorly, it handles poorly, its just terrible in everyway but it's been an accident and is missing the rear bumper. I get more out of the car as a daily driver than to sell it and have to shell out another 20K for different car, don't have the money at the moment.

Maybe the Altimax RT's are quite a bit different than the HP, but on Tirerack the Survey suggest that the HP's are even MORE comfortable than the RT's...

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
They are still cheap Korean tires. I only buy car tires that are made in USA and have a fairly high max PSI rating.

What companies do that? I know Cooper. That strongly swayed me to buy coopers, actually.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

What companies do that? I know Cooper. That strongly swayed me to buy coopers, actually.

Actually, most Cooper tires are made in China (Lifeliners, RS3A, etc). The only US-made Cooper that I know of is the CS4 Touring. The RS3A was US-made for its first year, then production moved to China.

Kelly Springfield (Goodyear) tires are almost entirely US-made. Many Goodyear and Dunlop tires are US-made. The Dunlop Signature II and SP Sport Signature are US-made. Many of Dunlop's summer tires are made in Japan by Sumitomo who owns the name in Asia. Goodyear is the largest American tire company and likely your best bet.

Most Nitto tires are US-made, in Georgia. Even though they are now owned by Toyo, (and some Toyo tires are made there as well), Nittos are usually US-made, except a few made in Japan.

Originally Posted By: lizpat
Maybe the Altimax RT's are quite a bit different than the HP, but on Tirerack the Survey suggest that the HP's are even MORE comfortable than the RT's...

The RT43 replaced the RT and is said to be a big improvement over it.

But if you don't like General, then the LX Platinum is your best bet!

I think that going two sizes wider without lowering the aspect ratio is too much. Speedo/odo will be off by quite a bit and the suspension could be funky. How much sidewall do you gain with 205/65 over 195/65?

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
First number is tread width, in millimeters.......

Just a small quibble.

The first number is the section width - that is the width of the freestanding tire at its widest point excluding any curb ribs or ornamentation such as raised while letters. The tread width would be much smaller than that value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back