Buying a car - would you pay extra for a thorough history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda part 2 of my other thread. I'm selling a car with an absurdly OCD well-documented maintenance history. So absurd that I literally have every single bolt, oil, and gas receipt proving I used premium fuel it's whole life, all neatly placed in a binder. It has been beyond well taken care of. So I have 2 questions:

1. If you were looking at two identical cars, car B with this type of history, car A with no history, how much extra would you pay for the records assuming car A is worth $6K?

2. If you had several models in mind, how enticing is a maintenance history? To clarify the question, if your front-runner model was (for example) a Charger R/T, and my Impala SS was your second choice, would a lack of maintenance records move me to the top pick?

Looking for honesty, even if it's brutal... Thanks in advance!

IMO if the info is legit, you're probably paying a bit more for the vehicle anyway. How much is what you feel comfortable with. Most auto buffs that take good care of their cars, and have detailed records research prices before selling. They usually list them for top dollar, slightly above fair market value, that's what I do.

Me,I expect an impeccable maintenance history. I don't feel it adds value,but instead feel it's a requirement.

Perhaps some individuals … but dealerships have declined my PM records several times … I could not even leave them for the next buyer … even had one tell me since they can't find PM records in "the system" … they would dock me 500 … (had to get the manager to fix that, but IMO it's all part of the act). So perhaps trade in tricks that lower value has an effect on street value too …

Sure, knowing I have maintained a vehicle has left me with an empty feeling like you have now …

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay extra. If someone didn't take care of one thing, chances are they didn't take care of a lot of things and the car will show it.

I don't get all bent out of shape over accidents either. (Excuse the pun
wink.gif
) If the car is repaired correctly, and everything is aligned correctly, then it just has new parts. If it's all out of whack, you can usually tell when driving it.

You can't rely purely on any historical records. The only thing you can rely on is your evaluation of the vehicle.

If you can't properly evaluate the vehicle then take it to someone who can, my last truck buyer did this.

I used to get 200 bucks at the auction if my guy bought anything, usually lease turn ins.

Buying a used car is always a bit of a crap shoot. Buy enough of them and you'll eventually get a bad one...

I would pay a bit more but would of anyway considering the condition of the car would show the attention to maintenance. But given 2 equally maintained cars, maybe an extra hundred max for good records. To me, the records don't matter, its the general cleanliness of the car. Good maintenance shows.

Some people just DO NOT take care of their vehicles.
Those people you want to avoid when buying.

Some people just DON'T CARE when buying.
A family member sold a vehicle on CL and the Buyer NEVER opened the hood.

OP - "Receipts for every single bolt, oil, and gas receipt proving I used premium fuel it's whole life"; I think would even bore me, (but that's just me).
I would want to know Date/Mileage of all oil changes and Various Parts & Fluids replaced.

A well documented log-book (with receipts) should add some value to the vehicle, if the buyer knows his stuff and is reasonable.
How much more ?
I keep good records for my own purpose of taking care of my vehicle.

Last edited:
A well Maintained car is a better buy. Most buyers will buy a vehicle with a sludge up engine and want the best for the car and post on BITOG I bought this car with a worn engine full of sludge so what oil will return the engine to new. If you are not getting bites on the car it is priced too high or the purchase market is too small for a rapid sale.

I answered your "Part 1". I think you're looking at this too formulaically.
Price it fairly for a car you can demonstrate was well maintained.
Records are good (to some necessary) but mightn't carry their own premium.

Great records are indeed mentioned in ads all the time.
Use of the single words, "records" or "receipts" came about through newspaper ads' word limits.
However, many people make an odd face when a folder of receipts is handed to them. I've seen it too many times.
I abbreviate the cars receipt history onto one page so a buyer can see it in one glance.

Also, you don't want some bimbo leafing through your carefully assembled records on a windy day when there's a huge chance they can't digest what they're "reading" anyway.

Place an ad in the ImpalaSS forum....fill out a calendar with every auto show you can find and see if you can make any....make a hundred half-page fliers with a pic or two and put 'em up on bulletin boards....grocery stores, parts shops (ask permission), any trade schools or community colleges, industrial supply shops etc.
Employ a printing shop with a good color printer if need be.

You're now into the season where that car will have its best shot of selling. Do some more and different legwork.

Best of luck

Hey, a good guy near me is moving and sold a smokin' hot 2005 Mustang for $10,800.

I don't think I'd ask much more than market- maybe a couple of hundred but really, no more than that. I don't think your maintenance records increase your car's value.

However, I do think your maintenance records make it more reasonable that you get what your asking without negotiating down. If someone tries to negotiate you down, you can challenge them to go out and find a car similar to yours with this detailed of records that is cheaper and then wait. That should be your sales pitch- with used cars, you never know what your getting. Well, with this used car, you know exactly what you're getting.

I don't even to begin to keep my vehicles showroom clean, but I agree with others. Clean up the engine bay and try to get the stains out of the floor mats. That's what most people see first, and it influences their psyche. That's what tells them the car has been babied. Very few in the real world value the maintenance records beyond oil changes, brakes, etc.. Don't assume that most others hold your opinion about excessive cleaning, but don't over do it either. Most people are sold on first impressions and they want a car that looks as new as possible. It's human nature. I've sold a half dozen vehicles and the first thing I always hear is "it looks so nice", not "you did well with the oil changes".

I agree with everyone else's comments about relative value in your marketplace too. Best of luck to you.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I'd give you an extra 10% if your records looked legit and you revealed your tag on Bitog.
smile.gif

29.gif
Serious inquiries only!
crackmeup2.gif

They are beyond legit.
24.gif

All of my cars benefit from a high level of maintenance.

But one thing that helps me, more than anything, is FaceBook. I post oil analysis reports on there, show my stash of oil/filters in my garage on occasion, and sometimes post a pic of recently performed services in my driveway (ATF, PSF, brake fluid, and coolant exchanges, etc. etc). Plus, everyone knows my vehicles are always immaculately clean, inside and out.

I've heard people in my small town say things like, "if you ever sell of your vehicles, let me know"

But on buying cars.... I don't buy high mileage vehicles anymore. 30-40k miles on the odometer is about as far as I'll go. Even if they only did 3-4 oil changes with conventional oil....they didn't hurt anything yet.

I would certainly pay up to an extra 10%. But those records need to be bullet-proof. And the car on the surface has to agree with that documented history. And it doesn't mean much if you're not the 1st owner and there are no detailed records prior to your ownership.

I bought my current 2001 daily driver last May. It had 39K miles - essentially 1 owner. Lots of lost time there to know if this short tripper car saw the needed fluid changes. I needed to know the maintenance history. And luckily found that out via CarFax showing that the original owner brought that car in early for every required maintenance from 2002-2015. They 2500 mile oil changes and 10K-15K mile trans fluid changes. Bingo. I paid $60 for 3 CarFax searches....still have the other 2 free ones left that expire on May 11th. Oh well.

Even if you're buying a CarFax or other auto search....you are paying a premium to know history and maintenance.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Looking for honesty, even if it's brutal... Thanks in advance!

Those records make you feel good about the care of the care. No one else really cares, to be blunt. Well, a fraction of 1% of buyers will....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back