Burning Out Batteries --- Going back to Wet Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chefwong
And yes, $ for value, wet cells can go 7, maybe even 8 years easy if properly maintained...

I got a good one; 11 years next month and counting in my DD. Exposed to -30F or colder a couple times, drained to the point it wouldn't operate power door locks a few times, still kickin'.

I was going to replace it 3 years ago because I felt it was past time and didn't want to deal with replacing in the dead of winter... I never got around to replacing it and now it has become a challenge... How long will it live? Can I get 15 years? How about 20 years? I hate the car and hope I don't have it that long but I'm too cheap to waste money on a newer car as long as this one is running & driving with next to zero repair cost.

I'm back on wet cell on this car - would have went AGM, but still unweary about diag/repair so the wet cell goes in (it's not as princess) as AGM. Has more CCA, more reserve, and it can take a burp or 2 in the face, whereas AGM's tend to be a bit more sensitive

It's been years since I've used a wet cell.
Dumb ?, but how often do ya'll pop open the caps and check the fluid levels...

Went with a East Penn Deka - my preferred brand on budget wet cell/AGM over JC.

were all 3 the same?
bad batch?
or was something running them too low for a smart charger to detect?
i have gotten several agm that were to be recycled and i charged then part way with a dumb charger.then they charged normally on the smart one.

Chef. are these batteries in a BMW? The computer regulated charging is just another can of worms the manufactures are dropping on the consumers for gaining the .001 mpgs to help with CAFE standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back