Burning man

Burning man is one of those great ideas that morphed into something else over time.

I went once a decade+ ago and I knew I wouldn't be back when I went for a walk and my neighbor was passed out in a lawn chair with a look of bliss on his face and needle still in his arm (with loose tube around his bicep) and a 38 in his lap.

I'm all for a good party, not judging, but this was not my thing.

I was watching some storm chasers live yesterday. They found a good flood in NE Las Vegas, then got stuck on the I-15 outside Primm.
Plenty of warning and forecast. (They drive into the danger.)

If someone wants to drum beat a rain song in a dry lake bed then it’s on them.
I’m sure most of them felt at-one with nature in the hours/days before.

Huge storm?
I read this morning that 1/2" of rain fell Saturday, maybe a little more today. I guess that's huge for the desert though. Here it wouldn't even water the plants!
I'd be trying to catch some of that rain if it does come today.

Huge storm?
I read this morning that 1/2" of rain fell Saturday, maybe a little more today. I guess that's huge for the desert though. Here it wouldn't even water the plants!
They got 2-3 months of rain in 24hrs. That is not environment where you have a lot of rain, so things will turn into mud. There is no getting out if there for some time. Those are huge lake beds and even a bit of rain creates mud that has properties of ice when you walk on it. Best they can do is sit tight and wait. Apparently the supplies are not an issue.
Problem is the BurningMan turned into rich people fest that want to look cool, and with them everything is “you must save me right now.” Nothing is getting out of there for some time. But, they did get adventure they were looking for.

They will need supplies air dropped, might be stuck there for a month! What do you do for water?

They're going to get a chance to live that "no money everything is barter" dream that burning man provides.

We're going to find out real quick how much water a "free kiss"from a smelly gal in dirty clothes with no makeup is worth.

These people will be fine - they will probably have to helo in water and supplies but the burning man company, and the poeple attending it are all rich now so if helos are needed you can bet well see rotors turning and fuel burnin....

Huge storm?

The first rains of any season in the desert are also the worst by far and the ground isn't yet soaking in anything, all the high terrain surrounding the playa becomes a 1K square mile catch basin funneling a river right to the low spots.

Woodstock wannabes. And then they leave a formerly pristine environment a tangled mess of tents, 6 figure RV‘s, port a potties etc. How much of this junk actually gets collected and pulled out of this sensitive area. You can be on either side of this climate change issue but how Nevada allows this bacchanal of excess smack in the middle of one of its most delicate and precious landscapes boggles my mind. Disgraceful.

Last edited:
… how Nevada allows his bacchanal of excess smack in the middle of one it’s most delicate and precious landscapes boggles my mind.
The land is public land, administered by the federal Bureau of Land Management. I agree that the whole thing is an idea that has come and gone.

I drove on the Black Rock once in late spring or early summer. Even then, people were warning me to avoid wet patches. An article from the Reno paper this year used the word "gluey" to describe the mud, and that's exactly right. It's the kind of stuff that will add five pounds to each of your shoes if you walk through it.

One of Burning Man's 10 principles is "Radical Self-Reliance." That one will get a workout this year.

Another is "Leave No Trace." I don't know how well that actually works out in practice, but the BLM's special recreation permit lays out specific requirements. It gives something like a month to clean up the site.

https://burningman.org/about/10-principles/

2022 Permit

Woodstock wannabes. And then they leave a formerly pristine environment a tangled mess of tents, 6 figure RV‘s, port a potties etc. How much of this junk actually gets collected and pulled out of this sensitive area. You can be on either side of this climate change issue but how Nevada allows this bacchanal of excess smack in the middle of one of its most delicate and precious landscapes boggles my mind. Disgraceful.
Before you go too far off part of permit is they must clean up and only have a certain impact. They even map the cleanup/impact after and ban people from returning as entire site is carefully mapped.

The people at Woodstock ruined the land and did not care .

Last edited:
Another is "Leave No Trace." I don't know how well that actually works out in practice, but the BLM's special recreation permit lays out specific requirements. It gives something like a month to clean up the site.

Sounds like they are leaving plenty of trace there. I read that the porta potties were being dumped when they got full so they could be used. With all that rain and muck I wouldn’t be surprised if a number of participants get sick.

I dunno know. Mankind is so anxious to proclaim superiority over the environment. Well’ll go to the middle of the desert to party. Until the propane runs out, until the bottled water runs out, until it rains a 1/2 inch and we can’t walk. Until someone charges up their cel phone and a helicopter drops us some water. Can’t wait to see the after festival pictures to see what this mess looks like.

The first rains of any season in the desert are also the worst by far and the ground isn't yet soaking in anything, all the high terrain surrounding the playa becomes a 1K square mile catch basin funneling a river right to the low spots.
I lived through hurricanes, but I am more afraid of rain in rocky desert area.
There is nothing more dangerous than flash flood.

Back