Brand loyalty dying off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd stay "loyal" to Honda but they don't make anything I want. I don't like the new Civic. I can't get a sunroof in the Fit. Accord is too big. So is the TSX. ILX is too much of an "overpriced Civic" vibe for me.

Since I was a kid, we always had a Ford truck and a Jeep wrangler. 23 years later, my parents' driveway is exactly the same ... a Ford truck and a Jeep wrangler.

I'm kind of sticking to that "loyalty" - I have a 12 year old Jeep and a 1 year old Ford in mine. Why? I knew the Cherokees were reliable and the Focus was the cheapest car I could get at the time (cheaper than used ...).

However, if I were to replace both of them with *new* cars ... it probably wouldn't be either a Ford or a Jeep. Ford doesn't build any cars that really appeal to me.

The new Focus is a bit on the expensive side for what you get (not even a 6 speed manual) and Jeeps are unreliable piles of Chrysler.

I'm not going to buy a vehicle because it's got a logo on it - I buy it because it fits my needs.

My parents had Subaru and Honda in the driveway when I was kid. They also had a GMC Suburban.

I have both makes now(Acura & Subaru). If I needed a fuel pig or heavy towing vehicle a Suburban would be there too.

Both my wife/I tainted by parents fleet domestic cars (GM, Ford) growing up.

Last edited:
Used to by mostly one brand till I got burned badly. At the same time I was getting excellent service from another brand so I started to think and look around at my needs.

Since then (mid 90s) I've bought many brands and only had problems with a few models of same brand that I thought I'd give another chance.

Lesson learned till this last summer. One LAST chance and family member getting burned sadly.

So I'll stick with SIMPLE designed vehicles over brand. If the vehicle is simple and meets my needs it will win over brand name.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Used to by mostly one brand till I got burned badly. At the same time I was getting excellent service from another brand so I started to think and look around at my needs.

Since then (mid 90s) I've bought many brands and only had problems with a few models of same brand that I thought I'd give another chance.

Lesson learned till this last summer. One LAST chance and family member getting burned sadly.

So I'll stick with SIMPLE designed vehicles over brand. If the vehicle is simple and meets my needs it will win over brand name.

Bill

It is OK to speak the brand Bill, your track record with Ford has been awful. Had we had your experiences, we'd be feeling the same way too.

Quote:

I agree, but is there such a vehicle available today? I really don't want touch screens and "connectivity," but it is hard to get away from it. I guess I'll have to keep buying old cars until there aren't any left.

So true. In 1989 my Honda Accord was already a far cry from what they were in the late 70's/early 80's. The Accords of today are COMPLETELY different cars. They are no longer smallish vehicles that are one step above economy cars. Also, the "low end" cars of today are as nice or nicer than the high end cars of twenty years ago. Innovation is going to be the key word moving forward.

I have never been brand loyal. Certain cars from each brand that I've liked, and I also buy what suits my needs.

Example, I love Saturn S-series, nothing else would ever consider buying from them. (brand closure aside)

Purchases are based on price and what I think I will like.

Brand or country of origin are so far down the list they don't count.

What brands of cars or trucks have you owned? For me they include Plymouth, VW, Toyota, Renault (via Chrysler), Mercury, Ford, and Chevy. All of the cars I've owned over 33 years have been pretty reliable and did what I needed them to do, and most of them were old beaters by the time I got them. The few new and newer cars I've owned have also performed well, with no major repairs. Mostly just the usual and predictable problems to be expected for the car's age. Driving older vehicles in the Northeast I have come to highly value rust-resistance, which is not something that shows up in reliability surveys.

I've been lucky enough to run quite a few cars through my personal lot and I have no brand loyalty at all.

I will buy a car in a minute if it interests me enough.

I will also ditch it in a heartbeat as well!

I'm kinda platform loyal. First clunker of a new platform is typically not the best one out there but I learn its quirks and if game pick up another.

I had one taurus and that was enough.
lol.gif

Like AuthorEditor I value rust resistance. Volvos and saturn S series have this. GM W bodies do not.

Familiarity with a car's problems and foibles means a lot as does being able to recognize a creampuff in five minutes at night via flashlight.

Handling and power, meh. If a car has it, great.

I never understood the brand loyalty thing in the first place, but then again I guess that's just what I saw growing up. My parents weren't brand loyalist in any way. Thinking back, the cars we had in order of what I remember were Fiat, Chevy, BMW, AMC, VW, Plymouth, Ford and Toyota (2). The Toyota was the only "repeat brand purchase". My own purchasing habits have been pretty disparate as well. I just look for whatever suits my needs. I never really understood the emotional attachment to car companies, unless you work there or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back