Bought new car, should I use auto-rx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I just bought a brand new 2013 Nissan Rogue. I have some bottles of auto-rx left over from a few years back. It's the old formulation not the plus ones. I'm on my second oil change and using Valvoline dino 5w30 with Purolator classic L14612 oil filter. My next oil change is going to be sometimes early in the spring. I'm going strictly by what the manufacturer recommends, 6000km or 3 months using a 5w30 grade oil. My question is, can I use the auto-rx I have left over from before (bought it sometimes in 2006) for maintenance. They recommend using 3 ounces for every oil change, supposed to keep the engine cleaner.

What do you guys say? Is it worth it? As long as it doesn't hurt anything.

Not Yet! IDK if it's snake oil but it's way too early to be worring about sludge in a new engine. Proper Maintenance according to the owners manual. Then if there's a problem, hopefully it'll be covered under warranty.

Why would this be needed on a brand new engine with only 1 OCI under its belt? If there is something negative that conventional oils do to this engine (I am not saying there is, just pointing it out), then use a synthetic blend or a synthetic oil to minimize such issues.

In your owners manual it states "NISSAN does not recommend the use of oil additives. The use of an oil additive is not necessary when the proper oil type is used and maintenance intervals are followed."

Speaking for myself, I would stay away from cleaners, snake oil, and quick fix "liquids" in a new engine because there should not be anything to clean if a good approved oil is being used in the engine. As the old saying goes..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

PS....
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Why? Its a new engine keeping up with the OCI will keep it clean.
Modern engine oils good at not only keeping the engine clean but some actually do a pretty good job of cleaning the engine of deposits well.

I wouldn't use it or anything else in the oil.
Modern oils are formulated to protect and keep the engine clean, will this stuff upset the chemistry? Who knows.

If you had sticky rings, lash adjusters or deposit issues it may be another story.

Originally Posted By: mickey_g
Hi guys, I just bought a brand new 2013 Nissan Rogue. I have some bottles of auto-rx left over from a few years back. It's the old formulation not the plus ones. I'm on my second oil change and using Valvoline dino 5w30 with Purolator classic L14612 oil filter. My next oil change is going to be sometimes early in the spring. I'm going strictly by what the manufacturer recommends, 6000km or 3 months using a 5w30 grade oil. My question is, can I use the auto-rx I have left over from before (bought it sometimes in 2006) for maintenance. They recommend using 3 ounces for every oil change, supposed to keep the engine cleaner.

What do you guys say? Is it worth it? As long as it doesn't hurt anything.

Sell it to someone else. I bought two bottles of the new formulation and it didn't do any cleaning besides the scouring of my wallet.

Use a good fully synthetic oil such as PP, PU or Mobil 1 and you'll never have that issue.

Regards, JC.

Thanks Guys for the warm welcome, and quick replies. I think I will not use it. I'm gona do regular 6000km ocis on this thing with Valvoline dino. I went with Valvoline over the other dino oils because it seems Valvoline has a lower pour point of -42 degrees Celsius, which should be good for winter startups. I got my purolator classic oil filter at Walmart Canada. I noticed I got better fuel economy as well with Valvoline over what was used for the first oil change at the dealership.

I think I will end up putting these bottles of auto-rx on Kijiji for sale. If someone close to Toronto area is interested in buying these they can pm me. I'll let em go for real cheap, as I don't have any use for them. Thanks.

Brand new car, zero need.
If you keep up with routine maintenance you will pretty much never need to do anything other than regular oil changes. I rarely use additives of any kind (usually Redline SI-1 maybe once a year) and that's it.

Edit: whups, just saw you made your decision, didn't read down quite far enough.

As for Valvoline....
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Welcome! Welcome to the place where the crazies get crazy over oil and filters!

Topic drift: 6K OCIs are recommended for the Rogue? I wonder what prompted that? Anyway, with that kind of OCI you definitely won't need additives.

Topic drift: 6K OCIs are recommended for the Rogue? I wonder what prompted that? Anyway, with that kind of OCI you definitely won't need additives.

Originally Posted By: mickey_g
I'm going strictly by what the manufacturer recommends,

In that case, I'm pretty sure the manufacturer also recommends not using any oil additives. As a matter of fact, it probably forbids it. Read your owner's manual.

Good you are not going to use it.
thumbsup2.gif

Are you getting the Valvoline Dino 5w30 for $5.00 for the 4.73L jug? That's what it's going for around here.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

Not 6k miles... 6,000km = 3,750 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back