Bought a new 2014 Honda CB1100!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Olas
Nice bike
smile.gif
I would have gone XJR1300 for a big comfy bike with a turn of speed, but it's the differences that make it fun!

Unfortunately, the XJR1200 and XJR1300 have never been offered in the States. If they had been, I would've bought one simply for the nostalgia of the engine. I had an FJ1200 back in the day, it is really the only bike I regret selling.

OP, nice bike.

Yes OP very nice bike.
The XJR1300 has always been available here in Australia & i have the 2013 model.I like it cause it looks like an 80's bike but with EFI.
The Honda CB1100 is also available but was 2k more than the Yamaha.Both bike are equally fine bikes.
cheers

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
I love the way they look, but almost $11k for a 1100cc bike that only makes 86 hp and weighs 550 lbs, and only a 5 speed gearbox just seems off to me...ESPECIALLY being air cooled (cheaper). Seems like a $8K bike max at those specs. Sadly, IMHO, Honda has not made anything fun or exciting in years. The most interesting bike they make is the Grom...and that is kind of sad.

Go price a 1200 sportster that makes about 10hp less.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I love the way they look, but almost $11k for a 1100cc bike that only makes 86 hp and weighs 550 lbs, and only a 5 speed gearbox just seems off to me...ESPECIALLY being air cooled (cheaper). Seems like a $8K bike max at those specs. Sadly, IMHO, Honda has not made anything fun or exciting in years. The most interesting bike they make is the Grom...and that is kind of sad.

The big difference is, you won't find a new 2014 Sportster in a dealership anywhere.And they won't be out of production after a few years of being introduced.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

The big difference is, you won't find a new 2014 Sportster in a dealership anywhere.And they won't be out of production after a few years of being introduced.,,,

I always laugh at that argument. It has nothing to do with the quality of the machine, just the more successful marketing of it. Yes Harley is better able to sell you mediocrity at a premium price.

I can't believe you're seriously making the argument that the sportster is anywhere near as good of a bike as the one I just bought. They're even a bit of a joke among "real" Harley guys. People only buy them because of the name. the Yamaha bolt is a much more substantial looking bike in that class.

And like I said, it wasn't $11k. The msrp wasn't even $11k. It was $10.4. Mine was down to $8.4 and had 2 miles on the odometer when I rode home. It will most certainly outlast any Harley. I just have to resign myself to the fact that I'm not as cool as I could be if I rode one I guess.

Ryan, I have the same bike, bought it last Summer. I used to have a CB-750, back in the late 70's.

I just put my battery back in. I may get it one the road tomorrow, 550 miles new at this point.

Have you checked in here? http://cb1100forum.com/forum/index.php

So far I added a windshield, a rear rack, engine skid bars, and then an 'Iron Rider' bag for the rear rack, to carry stuff.

I have done one oil change so far, after 500 miles, right before storage.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I can't believe you're seriously making the argument that the sportster is anywhere near as good of a bike as the one I just bought. They're even a bit of a joke among "real" Harley guys. People only buy them because of the name. the Yamaha bolt is a much more substantial looking bike in that class.

It isn't, at all. Your will run away and hide from one on the straights and the twisties. Yours actually has suspension travel.

It isn't, at all. Your will run away and hide from one on the straights and the twisties. Yours actually has suspension travel.
When that bike has been in production for half as long as the Sportster has, then come back and talk smack. a 2 year old bike being sold new isn't much of a testament of how good and desirable a bike is. The 1100 is a rehashed 750, which like other metric bikes loose their appeal after a short while. And no amount of "want" will make them anything more then one of the thousands of metric bikes they don't make anymore. Reality is in normal daily riding, racing thru twisties and racing from light to light, only happens in advertisements.,,

When that bike has been in production for half as long as the Sportster has, then come back and talk smack. a 2 year old bike being sold new isn't much of a testament of how good and desirable a bike is. The 1100 is a rehashed 750, which like other metric bikes loose their appeal after a short while. And no amount of "want" will make them anything more then one of the thousands of metric bikes they don't make anymore. Reality is in normal daily riding, racing thru twisties and racing from light to light, only happens in advertisements.,,

You are silly to defend a Sporty and then bash another brand for "rehashing". Rehashing is what HD has become successful doing since it came out of AMF ownership. But they prefer to call it heritage. Indeed the brand purists criticize it when it goes outside of that business model.

Have you rode a Sporty lately? Cause I test rode a 2011 when I was last int he market for a bike. The lack of suspension on them makes them a not too pleasant ride for everyday driving if the roads are not in good condition (a major problem in my state).

Let the guy enjoy his "rehashed" 750, which was arguably one of the best bikes of the past 100 years.

Remember the title?
'Bought a new 2014 Honda CB1100'
Congrats on the new ride! Awesome bike.
No one cares about Harleys in this topic. Please don't offend the OP for riding what he chose, it just hurts my eyes to read. Thanks.

Well, the Harley guys came out because Robenstein started talking his smack and they had to smack him around a little. FWIW I like the Honda and the OP will have a lot of fun with it. I buy Harley because it's American made. I see nothing inferior about the H-D, esp a Sportster. I bought my Dyna used w/low miles, so price isn't even a factor. With a little suspension work the Sportster is a fast as anything else in real-world use. Don't forget we're on public roads and the racer boys tend to become grease spots in due time.

Last edited:

You are silly to defend a Sporty and then bash another brand for "rehashing". Rehashing is what HD has become successful doing since it came out of AMF ownership. But they prefer to call it heritage. Indeed the brand purists criticize it when it goes outside of that business model.

Have you rode a Sporty lately? Cause I test rode a 2011 when I was last int he market for a bike. The lack of suspension on them makes them a not too pleasant ride for everyday driving if the roads are not in good condition (a major problem in my state).

Let the guy enjoy his "rehashed" 750, which was arguably one of the best bikes of the past 100 years.
Being silly is paying almost $11k for a 2 year old bike that NADA says is worth $8500.Please don't confuse "bashing" with truth you refuse to believe. It will be interesting to see who wants that bike in a few years. If history repeats itself, it will be dropped from production shortly,(like all the other great hondas) and all the wonderful comments and remarks about it will be forgotten as it sits in the back of a garage somewhere. Yeah, that's a classic in the making.,,

Looks like a great bike. I looked at one a few months back and really loved the retro look and standard, upright riding style.

Ignore the Harley cookie-cutter clones with the corny pseudo "bad boy" Brando leathers and silly attitudes.

Very nice.

Last edited:
Bigcahuna I really don't get what your issue is here. Enjoy whatever you ride. I'll do the same. For the last time, I didn't pay $11k. Sportsters are very small and for the right person, are probably a fine bike. Not for me though. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Well, the Harley guys came out because Robenstein started talking his smack and they had to smack him around a little. FWIW I like the Honda and the OP will have a lot of fun with it. I buy Harley because it's American made. I see nothing inferior about the H-D, esp a Sportster. I bought my Dyna used w/low miles, so price isn't even a factor. With a little suspension work the Sportster is a fast as anything else in real-world use. Don't forget we're on public roads and the racer boys tend to become grease spots in due time.

What you call smack I merely offered as a counterpoint to what one poster said about the price of a bike that is air cooled, weighs over 500 pounds, makes 85HP for its engine size, and sells for 11k. They mentioned that should only be about 8k bucks. I said "go price a sportster that makes 10hp less and often sells for more" and the resident thin skinned crowd that loves to troll here came out like I had kicked their dog for comparing a Honda to a Harley. That is what started it.

Congrats to the OP, and for the trolls here who cannot stand a bit of criticism of their brand, grow a thicker skin. I own a Triumph and have had Harleys and Yamahas also. I will be the first to point out their shortcomings, as EVERY SINGLE BRAND AND MODEL has them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back