Bought a boat--recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just recently bought a 1997 pontoon boat with a 2005 Yamaha 25 hp outboard on it. I am new to boats, so I have some questions.

1. Do I have to use specific Yamalube or equivalent marine engine oil, or will any motor oil do? It takes either 10W-30 or 10W-40.
2. Do I have to use marine specific gear oil? It calls for SAE 90 GL-5, which I can get anywhere, or is there some reason to use marine gear oil?
3. I'd like any recommendations on service and maintenance for this motor as well. The boat will come out of the water in the winter so it'll need winterizing for storage. During the season it will get used about 2 weekends a month at a small inland lake with fresh water so it won't see a lot of hours.

Thanks guys!

My brother is famous for saying that a boat is a hole in the water you try to fill with money.

Seriously, enjoy your new toy
smile.gif

ONLY marine gear oil. Its not expensive, Wallmart sells it. It can deal with any water that might get past seals, etc. But you do not need brand specific gear oil. Just one that meets the specs for your engine.

I assume a 4 cycle engine? I have never had a 4 cycle outboard, just 2 cycle and now Mercruiser. Again, get the oil at Walmart in the marine section. Boat engine tend to run constant RPM for hours on end. I use 15W40 diesel in my Mercruiser, but I would suggest to get the oil at Walmart.

Defender (online) and Amazon are good places to order boating stuff online. At a boat dealer or West Marine will cost you a fortune.

Don't forget to maintain your trailer.

Last edited:
Congrats. One of the 2 happiest days of your life. Check with the Yamaha dealer. You need to use the oem spec oil and oem spec marine gear lube for your gear case. Stabil in the gas.

Originally Posted By: JMHC

1. Do I have to use specific Yamalube or equivalent marine engine oil, or will any motor oil do? It takes either 10W-30 or 10W-40.
2. Do I have to use marine specific gear oil? It calls for SAE 90 GL-5, which I can get anywhere, or is there some reason to use marine gear oil?
3. I'd like any recommendations on service and maintenance for this motor as well. The boat will come out of the water in the winter so it'll need winterizing for storage. During the season it will get used about 2 weekends a month at a small inland lake with fresh water so it won't see a lot of hours.

Thanks guys!

1. No you can use Rotella T5 10w30 or HDEO 15w40
2. Yes, use only marine gear oil as it has additives that resist water intrusion.
3. OCI for the engine should probably be 40-50 hours (check manual). Change oil in fall at layup. Change fuel water seperator (if it has one)Change gear oil. Use marine stabil (green) in the fuel system. Flush cooling system with RV anti-freeze or marine anti-freeze. Spray down with Boeshield B9 or similar corrosion protectant. If the engine is carbed then be sure to fog the carburetor with fogging oil at the last shutdown. If it is EFI then pull spark plugs and spray a light shot of fogging oil in each cylinder and put plugs back in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
ONLY marine gear oil. Its not expensive, Wallmart sells it. It can deal with any water that might get past seals, etc. But you do not need brand specific gear oil. Just one that meets the specs for your engine.

I assume a 4 cycle engine? I have never had a 4 cycle outboard, just 2 cycle and now Mercruiser. Again, get the oil at Walmart in the marine section. Boat engine tend to run constant RPM for hours on end. I use 15W40 diesel in my Mercruiser, but I would suggest to get the oil at Walmart.

Defender (online) and Amazon are good places to order boating stuff online. At a boat dealer or West Marine will cost you a fortune.

Don't forget to maintain your trailer.

Yes it is a 4 stroke and it has a carb. I have seen the Super Tech marine grease and Super Tech marine gear lube at Walmart, so I will use those on the propeller splines and the lower unit. If I can get away with using Rotella 10W-30 that's great, even the generic marine oil at Walmart was about $7/quart. I'll make sure to fog it before winter storage as well. And we are using the marine Stabil consistently too. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Congrats. One of the 2 happiest days of your life.

The other of the two days, of course, being the one on which you sell the boat!

For the engine oil itself, you can use any motor oil. I'd find the grade specified by Yamaha and use a premium HDEO close to that grade (like Rotella T5 10W-30 or T6 5W-40 or similar).

But yes, congratulations on the purchase. I'd love to have one myself.

When you do put it up for the winter make sure it is in the running position so all raw water will drain through the prop.

look around at AZ and AAP for marine stuff too. you may find some deals there and online wih discount codes. AAP has some good plug deals/rebates right now. Filters etc. Motor is 8+ years old so you can do whatever you want. If it was me, I would use high quality marine grade lubes. AMZ or RP. considering the sump amounts involved you wouldn't be spending that much more money. could set up a nice healthy service schedule. Sounds like a fun motor to wrench on. Winterize?? it's 25 hp... unbolt it and drag it in the basement!! Get it set up on a engine stand and you could service right there all winter long! chairs, cooler/fridge and I'd spend the whole winter there!
Agree on the eth free gas!! Buy some gas cans and load up! I use seafoam/stabil regardless... 93 if eth free not available. you probably have somebody elses gas in there that has been sitting for how long??
trailer yes... get the boat off it sometime and give it a good once over...
Congrats on your new boat! you will have fun boating and wrenching! great deal...
you have any problems... this board has great guys on it!! post here first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back