Bosch platinum opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

OAS

I know everyone has a favorite plug.
And also know a plug they think is pure junk.
And i'm sure that some brands work better in certain types of vehicles.
That said, has anyone else here used the Bosch Platinum 4's?
Ive used the old std Bosch Platinums for years with good results.
(of course ive used Autolite, Accel, Champion, NGK, & ND with good results too....)
But i'm curious if anyone's experienced any benefits to going to the BP4's?
I switched from std BP's to BP4's last week, and they dont seem too much different.
The only things ive noticed are a slightly smoother idle, and what i ASSume a bit better tourque. (??)
IE: going up hills with the A/C on that used to tax the engine, now seems like my A/C isnt even on.
(no the air cond. isnt broken.....)
smirk.gif

Oh....vehicle used on is a '90 Ford Bronco 2 / 2.9L V6 automatic. Engine rebuilt about 18 months ago.

Well, it seems that your engine likes those Bosch plugs. Unfortunately in the spark plug that I want in my engine vs. the spark plug that my engine will run well on war, the choice isn't always up to the owner of that engine.

I used to use Champion (made in USA thing), but I had an engine that totally hated them. My folks 3.0L V-6 Mitsu engine Voyager minivan loved Bosch platinums. By the time they came out with the +4's, that vehicle was history.

My Saturn SL2 1.9 DOHC inline 4 hated the Bosch platinums, was so so on the Champions, but loved NGKs. So I used NGK everything they made...type/style/configuration/electrode setup..it ran good on just about every NGK plug that I fed it.

Accel never really ran all that well in anything that I tried them in, and at the time, they were a "premium price" for a normal type plug.

Never used Autolite (it's a Ford thing with me), or NDs, but I've heard that they can be very good plugs too.

So, it is a trial and error thing, but I've learned that once you find a plug that works, and works well, DO NOT CHANGE FROM THAT PLUG!!! It'll only cost you another set of plugs.

There may be vehicles that bosch plugs run well in. I just haven't found them. Maybe some German cars.

it all depends on what the car came out of the factory with spark plugs wise. they are designed to run a certain type of spark plug. yeah you can mix and match them but EACH different make of plug is different. to be on the safe side why not use what it came with?? its not like oil and filters where you can mix and match.

if you start fouling plugs when using bosch in that honda go back to NGK.. NGK and Densos are made for japanese ignition systems, bosch arent. for the record

autolites for fords, ac delco for chevy, champion for jeep, ngk and or denso for yotas and hondas... their ignition systems are based ON THIS.. i cant say that enough times.

Quote:

if you start fouling plugs when using bosch in that honda go back to NGK.. NGK and Densos are made for japanese ignition systems, bosch arent. for the record

Bosch aren't...nonsense...Bosch plugs are designed and tested for each application...What do you think they just make em in different sizes???...
nono.gif

thats so they can sell them broadly across the board. all spark plug companies do this duh... BUT what they dont tell you is that they are different in aspect of sparks and the heat of the spark.. do some research fellas i promise you i am on target with this.. i am not a bosch hater i promise its just that car companies make their ignitions systems a certain way hence the reason why they use certain make of plugs. (champion-jeep, ngk denso- japanese, ac delco-gm autolite for fords)

bosch plugs are easy to foul...the electrode is mostly covered with the insulator.

Bosch wire are cheap, but sold as a premiom brand...the resistance between wires was all over the place..never again.

In the last 25 years I have used many different brands of plugs in many different cars and motorcycles. I have never had a problem with any plugs. From OEM plugs to gimmik plugs I never seen much of a difference.

I use the BP4s in my '94 BMW R1100RS. This is a rather lean running engine, and can suffer the "lean surges" if not set up perfectly. The Bosch plugs cured the lean burn issues for me.
The center electrode tip is flush with the ceramic insulator and the discharge path is along the surface of the insulator. This surface discharge allows a longer than standard gap to function without misfire on a relatively weak ignition system - perfect for my BMW. Idle RPM increases about 15% with these plugs, for example.

Hyundai's really like those NGK's. I've used V-Powers, noticed it was smoother compared to the Bosch. My old GM didn't really like them, go figure.

Quote:

well maybe you are right...but I use Bosch in every car I have owned with never a problem...
cheers.gif

Ive used a bunch of different plugs in past vehicles and never had one that just "wouldnt work" in a particular vehicle.
A STOCK vehicle that is.
I have a prefference for Bosch's because of a certain car i once owned.
It was kind of a project car/hotrod/daily driver/"what if" car.
A 1980 Thunderbird with a transplanted '84 5.0 high output V8.
One of the mods i did was to use a 715cfm Holley carb. from a '66 Shelby-Mustang.
We had to bump the timing, and jet the primaries down 2 sizes to get it to work. And it tended to run a bit rich even with the H.O.'s marine type cam.
It was like a 60's throwback, including the way it would eat plugs alive.
I tried Motorcrafts, Autolites, Accels, even AC-Delco's, but they would last 2 or maybe 3 months at best.
(my lead foot probably didnt help much either.)
Then i saw an ad for Bosch Platinums.
The ad was intriging, so i bough a set on a whim.
When i got them home and opened a box i actually laughed out loud!
I remember thinking that these things werent gonna last a week, much less a month or so!
Just that little pinpoint of platinum is gonna carbon over the first time i stomp on the gas pedal.

Wrong.
That pinpoint concentrates the spark energy somehow.
That car ran great with the Bosch's!
And.......they lasted well over a YEAR. No foolin.
The only thing was they didnt gradually go bad.
The car would start idling rough one day, and the next they were dead. No gradual decrease in performance.
Just POOF!
When it started to idle rough i knew i had a day to put in a new set.

So far the +4's are doing well in the Bronco2, i was just curious if anyone had any dyno tests or some evidence that the +4's work better than the std. platinums??

Oh, and just fer grins and giggles.

My old "Thunderbird GT".....

old116.jpg

old117.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back