Bosch Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually bought Motorcraft FL400S at Walmart for '94 Lexus LS400, the price was less than $3 few years ago then went to more than $3 last year.

Last summer I bought 2 Bosch 3422 with BOGO at Kragen for less than $5. I did not pay attention to the Bosch filter construction and where it made until I changed oil yesterday. I was surprise to see that it is made in the old US of A, and it's built very sturdy, from the outside it is as good as Motorcraft if not better. I'll continue to buy Bosch Oil Filter for '94 LS400 as long as it's not more expensive than Motorcraft and made in USA is stamped on the filter.

I thought Mann bought Purolator. Where did I get that idea? Anyway, is it possible that the Bosch filters are as good as the PureOnes for filtration, or more like the regular Purolators?

That is what I wondered. Is the Bosch filter basically the same as a Pure One as far as filtering ability etc....

I don't know! I buy Mann filters made by Mann. I'll gladly cut my current filter open later this year, and someone can maybe compare its construction to a current Purolator of US manufacture.

I thought the Bosch filters were made by Champion? If they still are, then did Bosch buy Purolater and drop Champion? Or did Champion buy out Purolator?

Champion produced and sold oil filters, licensing the Bosch name previously from what I figure. Probably when Bosch bought Purolator, then Bosch did not renew the licensing agreement to Champion and began selling Bosch filters made by Purolator. This is probably a better way to describe the change.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
...is it possible that the Bosch filters are as good as the PureOnes for filtration, or more like the regular Purolators?

I believe they are more like the PureOne than the Plus for filtration.

Of course getting beta's is usually worse than pulling teeth.

But in my FL-820S case, it's likely to be like PureOne filtration also (probably less media area) and has base-end bypass (I suspect dome end on Bosch.)

So I really like the Bosch filters but the MC at WM is such a good deal with full features it's hard to pass.

Originally Posted By: glenncof
But in my FL-820S case, it's likely to be like PureOne filtration also (probably less media area)

I hope you don't bet money on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back