BMW USA: New list of recommended oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I just found this thread and noticed that they left off the diesels.

Good catch. What oil does the owner's manual specify? I tried to find an owner's manual for a diesel-equipped BMW on bmwusa.com and there aren't any.

I looked up 2010 on the website and is states LL04.

wow - they're really becoming hungrier and hungrier for money (and lamer and lamer with their mid-level cars ***IMO***).
Like QP said, this will guide an amazing number of new innocent BMW owners to just buy their oil only at the dealership...

SMH.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
wow - they're really becoming hungrier and hungrier for money (and lamer and lamer with their mid-level cars ***IMO***).
Like QP said, this will guide an amazing number of new innocent BMW owners to just buy their oil only at the dealership...

SMH.

Quite the opposite, IMO. In the past (at least on M cars) you had only one option: Castrol Edge Professional TWS, which is sold only at BMW dealers. Now, I can walk into Pep Boys and there are at least 3-5 choices.

The vast majority of owners don't know what LL-01 is or even the distinction between dino and synthetic. By specifying a 5W-30 there must be a lot of BMW's out of warranty running around on dino and M1 5W-30 type oils.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I just mean the part where they left non-bmw/Castrol LL01 spec'd oils off the list. (which used to be there, like the PP Euro)

IIRC other than the M's LL01 was only a recommendation and A3/B4 was required.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

seems awefully restrictive to me... especially a good candidate for a Magnuson-Moss Act case.

Totally disagree. There are a ton of LL-01 oils not even made by BMW. Almost all of the big ACEA A3/B4 oils are LL-01.

They're not forcing you to use their own brand of oils at all.

It's a recipe for disaster since they are using "recommended" language. There is no stopping a person or a dealership from using say... Castrol GTX 5w30 in the non-M engines. This can lead to BMW following Audi/VW sludge fiasco.... which is why VW/Audi states that the oil used must meet VW-specifications, since 2004.

Ah-h-h yes...the Audi/VW sludge fiasco...we almost went to war over that one...fortunately, the Toyota/Scion sludge fiasco diverted our attention...Whew! It was SO CLOSE!

The PDF files has a date of Aug/2013, so it means BMW just updated the list.

Weird how BMW 5W30 is suddenly okay for even the M cars? I guess I'm a prophet or some sort.

There are two Castrol 5W-30's in that document. The one used in most of their models is the 'BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil' 5W-30 that's been in North America for a long time. The one they're spec'ng for new M cars is 'Castrol Edge Professional OE' 5W-30 formerly known as 'Castrol SLX Professional OE.' The same oil spec'd for the diesels.

The number of products Castrol has and markets is truly horrifying. There is no continuity across the world the way XOM has.

SLX Professional OE is also used by VW/Audi.

I wouldn't say XOM is the benchmark for continuity...the Canadians still get the older API SM 0w40 when the US has been getting the SN variety for quite some time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, that they also use it as a diesel oil in North America. I don't see how BMW can get 10k miles out of it in North America in an M car.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Correct me if I'm wrong, that they also use it as a diesel oil in North America. I don't see how BMW can get 10k miles out of it in North America in an M car.

That's why I don't follow the OLM in my M5. I've had a couple of oil changes now and it still hasn't told me to change the oil. And I'm dumping it at 8-10,000Km intervals....
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That's why I don't follow the OLM in my M5. I've had a couple of oil changes now and it still hasn't told me to change the oil. And I'm dumping it at 8-10,000Km intervals....
crazy2.gif

I do think they'd be able to do those kinds of intervals if they used a better product than Castrol. The old GC used to be able to, M1 0W-40 can too.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2447560

crazy2.gif

I do think they'd be able to do those kinds of intervals if they used a better product than Castrol. The old GC used to be able to, M1 0W-40 can too.

I don't use Castrol oils, I'm using PU 5w-40 right now, was using M1 0w-40 before.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...744#Post2881744

crazy2.gif

I don't use Castrol oils, I'm using PU 5w-40 right now, was using M1 0w-40 before.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...744#Post2881744

I forgot about PU 5W-40. It's what's going in my dad's X5 when I visit them today and hopefully handle a longer interval than the current 7-8k miles it's been living on with the BMW oil for the past 100k miles.

Fingers crossed that PU Euro 0w40 gets updated to GTL basestocks soon, and gets some OEM approvals. That should give M1 0w40 some strong competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back