BMW now does 20k OCI !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, he got the oil sample back today via email.

This oil by looking at it had well over 5k on it. It was black as could be, the filter was awful.

To freshen up everyone's mind and to make a few corrections to my original post
2007 BMW 328I
3.0 v6
Oil is BMW Mobil 1 @ the dealer.
18,964 miles @ the change with no makeup oil inbetween.
Dealer told him the oil was changed before he bought it @ around 7k.

There is NO dipstick on this car to manually check the oil level. It is checked through the computer on the speedo/odometer readout.

Again, there's NO way oil with 5k looked this bad and the filter visibly at the end of it's life.

Here's the report.....
Thoughts???

OilReport.jpg

The report looks fine to me. The aluminum is a bit high, but that could just be leftover stuff from break-in.

I see no reason to be alarmed.

My bet is they topped the oil off when be bought the vehicle resulting in better additive/tbn numbers????

Originally Posted By: Mighty HD

This oil by looking at it had well over 5k on it. It was black as could be, the filter was awful.

2007 BMW 328I
3.0 v6

There is NO dipstick on this car to manually check the oil level. It is checked through the computer on the speedo/odometer readout.

Again, there's NO way oil with 5k looked this bad and the filter visibly at the end of it's life.

Is it possible that dealer changed the oil at 7k WITHOUT changing the oil filter ?

If dealer did the oil change at 7k, then the oil is 12k miles not 5k miles.

I think cartridge oil filters for BMW is reasonably priced at around $5-6, he should take a look at the filter at around 3k miles (around 22k miles on odometer) and change the filter only if needed.

That's interesting. I thought the BMW oil was some flavor of Castrol. But the amount of moly in the report does indeed make it look like M1.

I prefer and do suggest BMW owners get the Mobil 1 0w-40 or the BMW Dealer Castrol 0w-40 verses the BMW 5w-30 Castrol.

This is Castrol-made BMW oil. Has higher Moly than Boron, and has combo Ca/Mag. detergent pack. Starting visc. is 12.0 cst.

Report doesn't look that bad for an engine still breaking in.

With a new BMW, I'd have a hard time going over 5k on an oil change!

That report doesn't look bad IMHO.

One thing I have noticed on the new BMW's is the constant oil temps. In town my 130i takes a while to get to 90 degrees C, but once there it stays put.. until I get on the highway, then it climbs to 100C...I have yet to see it go above that and I live 1600M above sea level and it gets to 35C during summer, even if I beat that straight 6 to 7000RPM through all the gears it does not go over 100C...

I see the x35i is a little different, when I get one of those for the wife, I will have to be a little more careful..maybe it will be Motul 300V time...for now Liqui Moly Top Tech 4100 works fine.

2007 BMW 328I
3.0 v6

Here's the report.....
Thoughts???

If I am doing my math right this oil has about 10K miles on it. He bought car with 8k and they say oil was changed then you changed it and send the sample at 18K correct?

Interestingly despite of crude found in the oil filter UOA shows TBN to be fine along with ok insoluble levels...

Makes you wonder how much can you depend on these UOA's to tell you real condition of the engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back