BMW now does 20k OCI !

Status
Not open for further replies.
[ADMIN NOTE]: There is a UOA report in this thread, it's just down in the third page...

My neighbor came over this weekend and asked for a hand changing his oil & filter in his 2007 BMW 328 sedan.

He took it to the dealer for an oil change (was going to pay the $150 for it) and they would not do it. They flat out refused to change it before 20k. He currently has 16k on it.

He was under the impression that they changed the oil when be bought it. It was bought with 8k on the clock, and they advised him it had just gotten an oil/filter change. (It was obviously not)

We drain the oil, take a sample. The oil was super, super black.

We let it drain while we got the filter out of the top. My mouth about hit the floor when we got the filter out of the canister. It was full of sludge and small ball-shape type particulates inbetween the pleats.

Cleaned everything up, filled with M1 and we were done.

I'm quite anxious to post the analysis in a week or so when it comes in.

There's no way that they should be ran 20k judging by the filter....

I'm assuming everyone goes by this 20k OCI???

which is 95% of the "owners"...

Show off that you have nothing is the way of life these days...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Show off that you have nothing is the way of life these days...

Exactly...I forget the exact numbers, but I remember reading not that long ago that most "owners" of new BMWs lease and not buy.

Averages around 75-80 miles a day since Jan.

Drives it 1-3 times per week. City driving, occasional hwy.

With the filter as you descrbed, I'd do at least 2 5K oil & filter changes with something like ST synthetic-and dare I say, as I've never recommedned this before, drum roll.....ARX?

Minis recommendations are way up there too.

I wonder how many off lease BMW's end up back in their "BMW certified Pre-owned" group....They probably know better, with OCI's like that!!

BMW's have a larger than average sump capacity. I bet you could run a quality syn. oil and filter 10k.

20k is a ridiculous interval for any off the shelf motor oil. Albeit, BMW requires synthetic, but we all know even a quality motor oil like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum wouldn't properly protect the engine for an interval of 20k miles.

My family owns a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL and VW states a 10k OCI in the manual. This was almost 10 years ago, where oil wasn't even as good as today!

Yeah I think most mercedes benz also call for 10k oil changes in the book. The shop uses mobil 1 oil as the service change fill.

I dont see that as a problem at all.

I don't think BMW is extending oil changes to save money because they change the oil for free. They make money off that. It's part of keeping you at the shop on a regular basis, keeping you walking around the sales floor, having a mechanic reccommend upcomming services, etc.

I guess I am a little crazy but 20,000 mile oil changes don't really shock me too much.

Whats the service shop fill at BMW?

Last edited:
In adition; The dealer told you they did an oil change before you bought? You have found out different then find another dealer. I had dealers who lie.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Makes used BMWs so much less attractive to buy - it's the second owner that will typically be stuck with the problems.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would change oil+filter half way at 10k without reset OLM and have free dealer oil change at 20k.

There's a guy posting in the UOA section doing exactly that. The BMW oil doesn't do as well as the GC he uses. FWIW he is going every 5k!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back