BMW approved 0W-20 for N20 turbo four cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

About 15 years since Honda introduced S2000 in 1999 nobody can match its performance even with current newer technologies.

To achieve north of 200 HP from a 2.0L 4-cyl engine, car manufactures have to employ either super charged or turbo charged.

Yes, a turbo charged engine does generate a lot more torque than a normally aspirated engine of the same size. That is a fact nobody can disputed. If Honda was to use either super or turbo charge in its S2000 engines, it probably can produce north of 300 HP and more than 250-260 lb-ft.

This is to show that Honda engine engineers know how to design a very powerful engine and very reliable too. At the same time no need for special oil to operate at 9,000 RPM, just conventional 10W30 with API SJ or SL or newer is sufficient.

100HP a litre has certainly been done by other manufacturers. The E60 M5 was fitted with the S85 engine, a 5.0L V10 producing 507HP and 384lb-ft of torque.

Mazda could get almost 250 hp from 1.3L of displacement with equally puny torque and all on 5w30 dino. And just like the s2000, it was such an overwhelming success that it had to be discontinued.
Making impressive HP numbers in a street car, that are not readily accessible on the street, is obviously not something that even most automotive enthusiasts want.

About 15 years since Honda introduced S2000 in 1999 nobody can match its performance even with current newer technologies.

To achieve north of 200 HP from a 2.0L 4-cyl engine, car manufactures have to employ either super charged or turbo charged.

Yes, a turbo charged engine does generate a lot more torque than a normally aspirated engine of the same size. That is a fact nobody can disputed. If Honda was to use either super or turbo charge in its S2000 engines, it probably can produce north of 300 HP and more than 250-260 lb-ft.

This is to show that Honda engine engineers know how to design a very powerful engine and very reliable too. At the same time no need for special oil to operate at 9,000 RPM, just conventional 10W30 with API SJ or SL or newer is sufficient.

The original 2.0-l S2000 made 240HP, which put it at 120 HP/liter. I don't think any manufacturer beat that number in a regular production naturally aspirated engine until Ferrari came out with the 458. At $32,000 the S2000 was a steal considering the technology.

But Car and Driver complained about the car, saying you had to drive it like a sport bike to keep the engine in the powerband. Later S2000's had 2.2-l engines, but didn't make any higher peak power. The big improvement was in higher torque at lower speeds. This meant more power overall across the rev range.

I smell fanboyism.
What does Honda have to do with this thread?
The S2000 was good (High redline, high HP but had low torque) but you have to take into account that you had to really push it hard in order to get the most out of it. That's why probably they released a revised version with a higher displacement engine.

BMW made the most powerful turbo 4-cylinder engine ever in the 80s . . . does that makes them better than Honda?
confused.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Making impressive HP numbers in a street car, that are not readily accessible on the street, is obviously not something that even most automotive enthusiasts want.
Amen

Originally Posted By: Noobie
BMW made the most powerful turbo 4-cylinder engine ever in the 80s . . . does that makes them better than Honda?
confused.gif

Are you thinking of F1 turbos? Honda's V6 ended up dominating the series after 1985.

Hahahaha yes the F1 Turbos. I know they didnt win but i was just talking about raw power since this is where this is heading to.

For clarification, from the "article", as along with Porsche back-speccing 5W-30 to the Flintstone mobile, and Ford using 5W-20 on the deserts of Tatooine before most of us were in diapers, this "recommendation" is going to become lore, and reason to run it in an M series...it just works that way here.

Quote:
What is behind the BMW LONGLIFE-14 FE+?
In 2011 BMW developed a new 4-cylinder gasoline engine,
called BMW N20. This 2.0L-engine (1997 cm3) with 245 hp
is the successor of the N53 and N52 6-cylinder engines.
The new engine is a component of the Efficient Dynamicsconcept. In the NEDC a fuel saving of 15% was achieved
with the X1 xDrive28i with 7.9L/100km.

"new" in context means that they have designed it for a purpose, and the includes economy as a main driver.

As to the rest of Fuch's puff piece, stating that you have wear values and Noack lower than the limits of the various standards...simply means that you have passed the certifcation tests...nothing more, nor how superior yours is in protecting THAT BMW engine.

I'm surprised that no-one jumped on their claim that they exceed the (meaningless for a 20 as we are told) Noack test by a "nearly" 20%...

Anybody 'can match its performance'. The F20/22C is really nothing special. If it impresses you that much, then I dunno what to tell you.

It's a nice engine. Coarse, but revvy. Torqueless but a screamer. Revs really high, because it's completely useless below crossover. It's nice, novel. Sounds cool ,not because it's a Honda, but because it's a big cammed 4 cylinder with a short runner intake manifold- any 4 cylinder with such a tune could sound the same. Big whoop! It's niche stuff, not broad-application stuff. Anyone could do it, no one really wants to.

People that like to start S2000/vtec circle jerks usually don't understand what SAE Horsepower ratings even mean. Quoting peak HP numbers is stupid when trying to make another argument, such as who can do what, and what constitutes high technology, or why engineers match engines with vehicles as they do.

There could exist, an engine that produces 270hp@19,000rpm. 37hp@3000rpm, but hey! 270hp@19,000. I beg for the first idiot to come and tell me that they want the 270hp engine in their BMW......

Originally Posted By: jrustles

Anybody 'can match its performance'. The F20/22C is really nothing special. If it impresses you that much, then I dunno what to tell you.

Which production engine other than few hand made Ferrari engines can make more than 120 HP per liter without Super or Turbo charged ? You can talk all you want, but you need some evidences to support your claim.

Those Ferrari engines are several years after Honda break through the 120 HP per liter barrier.

I post my opinion about this because BMW had my respect in their engineering power, same for Audi, and this is related to topic "BMW N20 turbo four cyl.". I expected the auto industry should by now produce high efficient engines that can generate 140-150 HP per liter or more without resorting to turbo charged.

I expected the auto industry should by now produce high efficient engines that can generate 140-150 HP per liter or more without resorting to turbo charged.

That's not a realistic expectation. To make power without forced induction (assuming deep breathing capabilities) you need one of two things:

1. RPM
2. Displacement

The BMW example I cited earlier, making over 100HP/L, did so out of a 5L engine. But it also is, like the S2000, relatively high strung with a redline north of 8,500RPM. While that may sound awesome, it made the car feel slower than the car it replaced, which was the E39 M5. It was of course actually faster, but perception is a big thing. And like the guys ragging on the S2000 for having to be wrung out to actually go anywhere, similar comparisons were drawn with the E60 vs the E39.

Remember, HP (work), in an automobile engine, is a product of torque and RPM. It is a measure of work being performed. The higher the rate, the smaller the units need to be to do the same amount of work. So you can provide a lot of force at a slow rate (low RPM, high torque) or a small amount of force at a high rate (high RPM, low torque) and end up with the same amount of work being performed. The S2000 doesn't make a lot of torque. Its power-band is very high RPM biased, which is how it is able to make the power it does. This means that low-speed performance suffers. As was pointed out, that kind of setup doesn't make sense for a regular production car.

Say you have a performance target of 300HP. Now, you can meet that performance target a variety of ways:

1. You can use boatload of displacement and produce a relatively RPM limited engine that has a strong low-speed power curve. Fuel economy may suffer a bit though. In this instance it could be like using a 5.4L V8.

2. You can use a compromise of displacement and RPM. You end up with a somewhat softer bottom-end but a healthy mid-range and higher RPM area. This would be good on fuel. Think 3.6L V6.

3. You can use a small displacement engine and rev it to the moon. You end up with an extremely weak bottom-end (makes no sense in a sedan for example unless you like driving a car that feels like it can't get out of its own way most of the time). Think 2.6L I4 or I6/V6. Driven in a manner as to not feel slow, fuel economy would suffer significantly.

4. You can use a small displacement engine with a turbo on it. You get a strong bottom-end, strong mid-range and a decent RPM ceiling. You don't need to rev it to 8 or 9K to extract maximum power and the power curve is very flat. Think 2.5L I4 or a small V6/I6. This engine would be excellent on fuel when not on boost.

Now of course variable cam timing has the ability to move the power curve around a bit to bump up the bottom-end and increase the top-end. I know, I have two cars with it
smile.gif
But ultimately the one engine still makes 380lb-ft of torque because it is a 5L V8. And it does so because that same cam profile, retarded, makes 400HP at 7,000RPM. So while you can move the power curve around a bit to make the torque curve flatter, ultimately total output is a compromise based on designed RPM range and displacement. The 5L V10 was designed to make 100HP more, but to do so, it had to rev almost 2,000RPM higher, which means that the torque curve couldn't come on as low or be as flat. The cam profile didn't allow for that.

So, if you wanted to fatten up the bottom-end, you'd have to throw displacement (or boost) at it. And there's still the compromise. Do we do high HP and a doggy bottom-end or do we want reasonable HP and enough torque to make grandpa feel like his neck is going to snap over the back of the seat? It takes aggressive camshaft profiles, deep breathing induction....etc to make that kind of power. Your average Joe does not want to have to rev his Camry to 10,000RPM for it to feel fast (which would be the case if you wanted 140HP/L) and it be a raging turd the rest of the time. And if we throw a pile of displacement at it, we are just moving the problem around. A 140HP/L 6.0L V8 would make 840HP at some insanely high RPM, still be a dog down low and be an absolute pig on fuel. It isn't practical.

THIS is why boosted engines are in vogue. Good fuel economy, good power output, great torque with a FLAT curve and a sane RPM range.

Great post, OVERKILL. Unless there is a drastic change in automotive technology, forced induction will continue to be more commonplace. I can't believe it's been this long. It still baffles me that there are not more diesel hybrids.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Great post, OVERKILL. Unless there is a drastic change in automotive technology, forced induction will continue to be more commonplace. I can't believe it's been this long. It still baffles me that there are not more diesel hybrids.

My guess would be because of manufacturing cost? Isn't it more expensive to manufacture a diesel engine, then add the complexity of a hybrid and it becomes even more so? Might be a tough sell (high price) and/or low profit option, if you keep the price competitive.

Good post, I think the one factor with a car like the S2000, is trying to keep the car light, with good weight distribution. So an NA engine has a bit of an advantage there. For most cars though, the extra weight of FI isn't a big factor.
Also the japanese seem to give the "feeling" of a car some weight over just raw performance. A flat torque curve boosted 2.0L just pulling hard from 2000-6000rpm might be faster, but less interesting and dramatic to drive than a peaky screamer.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
A flat torque curve boosted 2.0L just pulling hard from 2000-6000rpm might be faster, but less interesting and dramatic to drive than a peaky screamer.

True enough. And while the peaky screamer may find a fan base when fitted to a light roadster, that same engine would be awful in a sedan, which is where the boosted 2.0L would shine.
smile.gif

240 HP is decent amount of power for a small sedan. I think they could have squeezed out more ponies if they wanted to. Problem is it would probably cannibalize sales of the 335i (Inline 6 Trubo -300HP) and other models.

Take a look the Hyundai Theta-II Turbo 2.0, it makes 274 HP and 269 lb·ft of torque, but it has the help of DI.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
240 HP is decent amount of power for a small sedan. I think they could have squeezed out more ponies if they wanted to.

The word on the street is that BMW underrates these engines. In reality, they deliver more. There are some dyno graphs out there that prove it.

Having driven a new 328i recently, it feels significantly faster than my 530i rated at 228 HP. Alas, that's not very scientific, I realize.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
A flat torque curve boosted 2.0L just pulling hard from 2000-6000rpm might be faster, but less interesting and dramatic to drive than a peaky screamer.

True enough. And while the peaky screamer may find a fan base when fitted to a light roadster, that same engine would be awful in a sedan, which is where the boosted 2.0L would shine.
smile.gif

I don't know if it would be awful in a sedan, but it would take a properly geared manual trans or programmed auto to make it livable and it wouldn't be for everyone.
I do suspect that the S2000 2.2L motor probably makes very similar low end torque to a 4cyl Accord which lots of people are happy with, so it might be OK in that weight of vehicle, but for most people, they would rather have the torque of the V6 to get 240hp, than the handling benefits of a lighter front end.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Swift101
240 HP is decent amount of power for a small sedan. I think they could have squeezed out more ponies if they wanted to.

The word on the street is that BMW underrates these engines. In reality, they deliver more. There are some dyno graphs out there that prove it.

Having driven a new 328i recently, it feels significantly faster than my 530i rated at 228 HP. Alas, that's not very scientific, I realize.

I own a N26 turbo 4 BMW. It's rated at 240HP and it is faster than my 300HP Infiniti G35 with HR Y-pipe, Tanabe Exhaust and Plenum spacer. The N20/N26 are said to be under-rated on HP. A simple BMS or JB4 stage 1 tune will get this motor even more power.

For me, switching to "sport plus" mode this BMW really moves. Lots of power at low end plus in freeway passing, the basic default "comfort mode" with just a light touch of the accelerator it gets up and goes! Freeway passing in "sport plus" it's nasty!!

I've seen 300HP out of this motor on the BMW forums.

As for Honda VTEC guys, they never mess with me in my Infiniti G at stop lights! Most do not even pull up to me side by side at a stop. While rolling then they get a sack and want to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back