Castrol Edge EP 0w-20 in N20 BMW X4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, there are no LL-01 approved 0w-20 oils available besides the BMW 0w-20.. What do you guys think about using a good syn like Edge EP or M1 EP in a BMW X4 with the turbo'd GDI N20 motor, with change intervals at 5-7K?

I could go with the Edge 0w-40, but I want to stick with the recommended weight.

There are no Longlife-01 oils that are 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: rsalan
So, there are no LL-01 approved 0w-20 oils available besides the BMW 0w-20.. What do you guys think about using a good syn like Edge EP or M1 EP in a BMW X4 with the turbo'd GDI N20 motor, with change intervals at 5-7K?

I could go with the Edge 0w-40, but I want to stick with the recommended weight.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Yeah, the BMW 0w-20 is LL-14 FE approved. What I intended to say was that there are no 0w-20 LL-anything approved oils commercially available besides the BMW one.

Originally Posted By: rsalan
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Yeah, the BMW 0w-20 is LL-14 FE approved. What I intended to say was that there are no 0w-20 LL-anything approved oils commercially available besides the BMW one.

Sure, OK but that's not what you posted. There's a difference between LL-01 and LL-14 FE+.

And I agree with rooflessVW, stick with an oil that carries the specification that BMW requires for your engine. That's the important bit, not the grade.

It looks like you can get a Motul product here in the US but surely that is more costly than the BMW branded oil at the dealer. At least from what I can see.

I believe your owners manual will say you can use LL-01 “FE” as well. It is the 0W-30 version of TwinPower Turbo oil. That would be my choice. Right in the middle, viscosity wise, of LL-14 FE+ and LL-01.

Between Castrol Edge 0/40 and a 20wt water oil, you willl not see a noticeable difference in fuel mileage. I run Edge 0-40 in my Accord my fuel mileage with a 20 weight was 35 running Edge 0-40 it is 34. 6. So what 7 miles less to a tank. I'll take the extra protection of a 40 weight over 7 miles. 7 miles is probably a coffee cup of gas

I'll be darn if I would use 20wt oil in a 2.0 250HP engine. Subaru calls for 30wt oil in their 2.0 Turbo. That's what I use. And so do other 2.0 Turbos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back