BMW advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
IME, a great indy that knows what they're doing will charge you similar rates to a BMW dealer.
I believe it. Way in the past, I had tried that with an indy Honda shop. He turned out to be at least as expensive (or if not more) as the Honda dealer! I ended up building a good rapport with the mechanic at the dealer which served me well for years until the mechanic left the dealership.

Thing with some indie places is that they run "specials" from time to time. My BMW indie place is great:
On their Facebook page twice a year, they ask fans what specials they'd like to see each year; so you vote and they select some service and put it on special for a few weeks.

Last year I voted "cooling system service" (not overhaul) and that special "won" and I was able to get it done for 70% of THEIR normal price, which was already a lot less than the dealer's price. and they are pretty good. They have all the needed BMW software, tools and use BMW parts unless you bring your own.

This year, "VANOS rebuild/VGC gasket replacement" won; I am getting it done, although it's a bit early for my car (mileage-wise); but some experts say VANOS seals can fail pretty early - and i KNOW that my VCG or spark plug well at least on 1 cyl has a leak, so it's timely.
It's a lot cheaper than most places charge, with a 30% discount off their normal price.

Next, I hope it will be "cooling system OVERHAUL"

So, some indies CAN be cheaper than dealer, even if they perform at a pretty high level. And they allow you to buy and bring your own parts, which I find IMMENSELY useful - i can find OEM BMW parts for a lot less than dealer prices.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
And they allow you to buy and bring your own parts,

Mine doesn't. I wish I could find another shop, but choices are somewhat limited where I currently live.

Yeah I also have to travel almost 1.5 hrs to mine, but it's worth it.

They allow it only if it's OEM/OE etc, or genuine BMW or whatever. They don't accept if I bring in something from AAP or AZ or no-name parts...

Wagons are great family cars I'd buy it. But I'd also do everything in my power to stay out of a mini van/ SUV as well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
you don't need minivan when you have less than 4-5 kids.
You do if you want to be able to comfortably transport your parents and/or in-laws at the same time.

I said "need", I mean for daily transportation to school, park, shopping ...
smile.gif

Rarely the whole family of 5(parents and 3 kids) go out with grand parents so that a minivan is needed, probably few times a year. In that case 2 cars will be sufficient.

When 2 young girls was home with us, I never thought about minivan and/or SUV, 4-dr sedan had more than enough room for four 99% of the time.

Never owned minivan/SUV and don't have any plan owning one in future.

Last edited:
You're asking whether you should buy what sounds like a very nice and well maintained BMW wagon for two grand?
You be hard pressed to find a Honda Accord of similar vintage in similar condition for twice that.
Ignore the nay-sayers.
BMW cars are not the money-pit nightmares that many who've never had one make them out to be.
For two bills, I'd be on my way to the east coast today.
I guess that I'm trying to say that this would be a car well worth buying.
You could probably double your money at any BMW dealer or any high-end used car location should you decide that it just isn't for you.
I'm sure that your aunt is completely honest about any problems the car might have and that she'll get all of the service records printed out by the dealer that maintained it.
Your wife would also love the car.
Quite an upgrade over a Sentra in every way, although probably a little thristier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back