1995 BMW 325i Convertible

Look at anything rubber. I still help a friend from time to time with an e36, and every single door card, window guide, windshield and rear window seal… they have all disentigrated. Not to mention every inch of the cooling system. Otoh, Also good to see if they look pristine, it may indicate a well-babied car.

15k for a 30 year old car…? The convertibles didn’t handle quite as well as the hard tops, but that 5 speed with the straight six is one of the best, ever.
M3 versions of the cabriolets had a factory underframe x-brace to improve body stiffness. You can still get these I believe via aftermarket for the non-M3's. Definitely an upgrade to consider.

Well, I went to look at the car last night. I pull a CARFAX report prior to meeting with the owner. The CARFAX report indicated a previous accident.

From my inspection, the passenger side of the car had been completely repainted. The repairs appeared to have been skillfully done, but orange peel in the paint was evident. Beyond that, it was a good looking car that would be fun to drive.

I told the owner that I was still interested in the car, but certainly not at $15,000. Also, a complete inspection by my BMW shop would be required. If the car checked out, probably a $9,000 value.

M3 versions of the cabriolets had a factory underframe x-brace to improve body stiffness. You can still get these I believe via aftermarket for the non-M3's. Definitely an upgrade to consider.
Didn't all e36 M3's have the x brace?? IIRC it also came with a rubber block that kept the engine and transmission from moving too far on their mounts under load. I remember adding the brace and the Euro M3 brake duct and snorkel to my e36 328is back in the day when I was doing HPDE's.

Funny, I am half looking at a mint, ultra-low mileage e36 M3 coupe as we speak...

I had a '95 e36 ragtop, a 318i five speed. I bought the car in 2011 for $4500.00 OTD, tax, title and a full tank. It had 105K, had a recent top, brakes and tires and came with FSH from new.
I ran it up to around 165K over the following five years as a good weather daily driver.
A fun car and if slow was also quite economical and trouble free. Oil filter replacement is a little fiddly.
I parted with it a few years ago and by that time it needed a top.
The asking prices on these cars have ballooned in recent years, but I doubt that a previously wrecked car is worth $15K regardless of the miles. There was a time when you'd see e36 BMWs everywhere, but these are all old cars now and attrition over time has greatly reduced their population while the desire of so many to own something a little different has brought continued demand, so prices have increased.
A convertible is magic in warm weather and the manual top on my car was easily lowered and erected and was quite water tight. The door glass fits up into metal channels in the top and the it retracts slightly when you open the doors to clear this.

In that example the car has 153k miles where the OP's example has under 50k miles. Big difference in values.
Didn't all e36 M3's have the x brace?? IIRC it also came with a rubber block that kept the engine and transmission from moving too far on their mounts under load. I remember adding the brace and the Euro M3 brake duct and snorkel to my e36 328is back in the day when I was doing HPDE's.

Funny, I am half looking at a mint, ultra-low mileage e36 M3 coupe as we speak...
My aunt had a E36 lightweight from 1996 to 2003. Got what she paid for it, then got a E46 M3. I think one sold for over $300k 😂

Makes a person think maybe the money for a CSL is worth it

Well, I went to look at the car last night. I pull a CARFAX report prior to meeting with the owner. The CARFAX report indicated a previous accident.

From my inspection, the passenger side of the car had been completely repainted. The repairs appeared to have been skillfully done, but orange peel in the paint was evident. Beyond that, it was a good looking car that would be fun to drive.

I told the owner that I was still interested in the car, but certainly not at $15,000. Also, a complete inspection by my BMW shop would be required. If the car checked out, probably a $9,000 value.
I wonder how long current owner has had it? I'd feel a little more comfortable if it was a few years or more. If a long time owner it may explain the high price because he likes it so much but doesn't use it much. Hence the potential sale.

Going to look tonight at a 1995 BMW 325i convertible. The car has less then 50,000 miles on it. I find it attractive because it is a 5speed and appears to be in pristine condition. The seller is asking $15,000.

Thoughts and comments on what I should be looking for. From my research, water pumps and timing belts are items that require attention in these vehicles.

Thanks.
NADA is $3300-4450 as a fair market price. Unfortunately the age and being obd 1 kills it. It's not an M3 csl or anything. Offer 5k tops

Former owner of a 1996 BMW 328i convertible.

Car was a sweet driving automatic with a split back window I got for $4000 back a dozen or more years ago. I got it after I sold my 91 Corvette convertible to my brother and I missed the open air drive. Fixed the top window and a couple of minor things like the battery, trip computer below the radio, badges, etc. Minor stuff.

I had no issues with the engine, it performed just fine for an old E36 that isn’t really meant for auto cross, and I enjoyed it.

Only issue was the transmission. Since it was an auto, I noticed sloppy shifts, flares, etc. I got it cheap so I had a shop swap in a salvage transmission and the car continued with me for another year. It’s a GM transmission in the automatic I learned. 🧐

Sold it to a dealer so that I could find something else.

But I agree with many others here: $15k is outrageous, especially given the condition the OP reported. I wonder if it’s a flipper special?

Coincidently, I was just offered first opportunity on a '98 M3 Cabriolet, manual, in yellow. Absolutely time warp, mint and ~70k miles. I passed due to mileage, color and lack of space, but was a bit tempted. Asking was $22k. Do not know final sale price yet, but it went in two or three days of the email blast announcing it was up for sale.

For $15k it better be mint (and manual) with records.
It is a lot but it’s a sellers market and it is essentially a collectors item.

Totally agree OP needs to ensure there are, and then scrutinize the records. Verify no paint work, repaint, accidents.

Good cooling system and rubber components under the car are the main things I’d be looking for, plus condition of the top.

Back