Blizzard of 78 of 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drove home from Albany to Saratoga, was pretty bad. Lots of cars off the road on I-87. Helped push a car up a hill by my house on the way home, they were stuck getting up to a traffic light in their Saturn. Myself and another gentleman stopped with his wife to help push them up. Followed them up the hill, they got stuck again.

They ended up parking it at the gas station at the bottom, and the other guy offered to drive them home. Certainly is the best time to be a good samaritan.

We got a little bit here in Rochester, NY. About 5" so far, with another 2-3" overnight. Most of that's probably lake-effect. The roads were horrible since it rained earlier, then started snowing, then the temperature plummeted from 35*F to 20*F after an inch of slush had built up on the roads. Fortunately most folks were driving sensibly, so we all made it through.

We've got a foot at least. Snow is up to the running boards on the truck. Decent snow storm
thumbsup2.gif

This is a silly question...

But how cold would the inside of your home get if you lost power during the blizzard and didn't have a generator for portable heaters ?

I understand all houses/buildings have different levels of insulation up North. Is the basement slightly warmer ?

It depends but if you have hot water baseboard heat and lose power long enough your pipes will freeze and your problems have just multiplied.

On the news during a power outage where ambient temp was around 20 some folks were complaining about it being low 40s and they just wore parkas around inside.

Naturally a wood stove, or, if desperate, a kerosun (tm) ventless heater will keep things tolerable. Though I have a generator and boiler transfer switch, I haven't needed to connect the two as the wood stove carries me.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

But how cold would the inside of your home get if you lost power during the blizzard and didn't have a generator for portable heaters ?

I understand all houses/buildings have different levels of insulation up North. Is the basement slightly warmer ?

We have to keep the beer in the fridge so it won't freeze .....

A gas stove is a big help.

The bulk of the storm has been missing us. So we got downgraded from 4 to 8 inches of snow to 2 to 4 inches.

No complaints here!

smile.gif

Meanwhile in Canada:

blizzard01.jpg

blizzard02.jpg

First pic is looking out from my driveway, 2nd pic is from the drivers seat of the Expedition while I was stopped at a stop sign after driving a friend home.

Hurricane strength winds taking out power all along MA coast. 300k without power. Its basically is a hurricane. Tide never went out. Its still stuck on high. I can't see out the windows right now, snow embedded on the screens. Its howling.

Live broadcast of what I'm experiencing

http://www1.whdh.com/video/7newslive

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
First pic is looking out from my driveway, 2nd pic is from the drivers seat of the Expedition while I was stopped at a stop sign after driving a friend home.

I don't think you can drive your M5, even it has snow tires, with this much snow on the ground.

Stay safe guys.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

There are a lot of variables. If it has a basement and other heat sources (gas water heater for example) and is very well insulated it may never reach the outdoor temperature. If it's a poorly insulated slab home it can drop to the outdoor temperature in a day or so.

somewhere between 24 and 28 here and still coming down hard! I cleaned yesterday night and then again at 6am. I think the way it is coming down, it seems another 6 inches is possible.

The blizzard has died down some because the winds have slowed. But the snow is still very heavy. The winds have kept the cars and trees somewhat clear. Hard getting a measuring with the drifting but a few measurements has it at 24-26". Blurry pics because I can't keep lens clear. Phone gets wet.

7a12fb7f-0ddc-4e46-a3a7-054373262554_zps55125050.jpg

S3wssdfwew010004_zps881a9fa3.jpg

drifting wicked...

We got the same inches of snow as 100 miles to the south but much less water content and more fluff factor. It's been 12-14'F straight through the storm and was around 0-5'F before. Mass is suffering power outages from wet snow sticking to tree limbs etc and we're doing okay further north.

Its not a wet heavy snow here. Really cold, wind chill 0F so its a very puffy light snow coming down at an incredible rate. 2-3" an hour right now. Whats happening with the power outages is 60-74mph winds off the ocean taking trees and poles down. High tide coming in shortly that never went out. Evacuations happening now. No contact with my buddy in Hull, MA. Cell service dead. Hull is a spit of land a few feet above sea level and its very vulnerable. The threat to us here in MA is more than snow, its the Atlantic Ocean. The storm pushed water into Cape Cod bay all night. I hope friends down on south shore are ok. High tide at 10am.

Big Blizzard coming HERE tomorrow with an Ice Storm right before it.

It's an Upper Midwest Blizzard, so we won't get 1/10,000th of the coverage. We'll carry on our merry way.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
I wanna see pictures of "how bad" this storm really is.
We've had snow as high as the roofs of our houses when we were kids.

I remember when Newfoundland got like 12ft or something insane. My dad was teaching there at the time and sent us pictures like this one:

NewfieHwyA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back