Blizzard of 78 of 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having some fun coming home for lunch from work in the Expedition. While I had no issues rolling through stuff that was sometimes 12"+ deep, others were all over the bloody road, driving between lanes....etc. Made it a bit of an adventure.

Decent tires + 4x4 and ground clearance are certainly an advantage in this weather.

1:47PM and it is starting to pick up good here. Been about 5-6" so far already. Time to shut the computer down. Be safe everyone.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Mass Governor just announced road closing; no vehicles on the road allowed after 4:00pm

Thats never happened before. Totally outrageous! He's not even a local. If he were he would know this is really no big deal.

They're closing the state of MA? Wow... Now I wish I had that 4x4.

In other news, I don't even have an inch yet. Maybe a half-inch. Weird. I guess it'll pick up speed later. We're heading out in a bit, and I was tempted to drive home after dinner--didn't want to come home to 2' of snow on Sunday, much less 2' that had compacted down to one heavy foot.

Hmm, looks like gov of NH wants people off the road by 7pm also, and to stay off until Saturday afternoon. Joy.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Mass Governor just announced road closing; no vehicles on the road allowed after 4:00pm

Thats never happened before. Totally outrageous! He's not even a local. If he were he would know this is really no big deal.

Dukakis did it back in 78. They should allow travel west of Worcester though at least... the forgotten people.

snow-S3010004_zps609f900a.jpg

35-40 mph drive home from work. 5-6 inches of fluff so far. This was a "surprise burst" that isn't part of the main storm.

OMG I remember that! I was 15 and one of the snowmobilers blasting down a section of 495 checking cars with my buddies. Wide open at 60+mph it was awesome. Can't do that now, somebody will call 911 for a "suspicious male on snowmobile making noise" immediately. I can see that section as I write this. Slow. Could be wrong but the way I remember it Dukakis closed down well into the storm towards the end for cleanup, not before it. Why people were trapped on 495. We couldn't predict very well back then, couldn't have anticipated closing state down till it was too late. Thats what I remember, but it was a long time ago. Harvey Leonard is still forecasting weather here. He forcasted that event back when it required skill. Good for him. The Gov is tweeting reminding people the ban is on. Hes getting blasted by us old timers
lol.gif

Going out with the dog to take a look at the highway and the local streets. See if there are any cars.

Last edited:
I can't see the highway but I can hear it. Plenty of big rigs out there. But this is weird. A normally busy street with 45mph speed limit (people go 50+)
West
70e7ba9b-58b3-4ecb-970d-0eabf95d1a24_zps811719a2.jpg

East (a snow plow)
c316c925-0270-48ea-a28e-fef1c43c7c91_zps04df0fdf.jpg

Saw a fusion with its roof cut off under a tractor trailer. Be careful out there and go slow.

Check it out! The fronts are smashing into each other over Albany. Some of the biggest snow I've ever seen on radar is making its way in now. Should be in the Lowell area here in 1/2 hour or so. Also check out the ChaserTV.com feeds, click on them. The little cars.
http://www1.whdh.com/weather/radar/

Originally Posted By: shell_user
It must be legal as MA governor signed some law about it, from what I saw on CNN.

just my 2cents

Talk about "Nanny State"...

Made it home. Didn't take photos, it was dark. Just a couple inches on the road, a bit greasy but not bad.

Only three inches in the driveway at the moment.

As a 50 yo native who's used to this I can officially say yeah, its really bad. One of the worst I can remember. Blizzard of blizzards right now. Nor'easter with high winds and blinding crossways snow. Ocean effect. One advantage to the winds is it does not build on trees and power lines. Went out with the dog. From those pics to now its over 6" with 2' drifts and heavy winds already. Dog was sneezing. Had a hard time catching my breath it was snowing that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back