Bleeding Brakes - how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much brake fluid will it take to fully bleed my 1999 Suburban? I have five liters of ATE Super Blue - is that enough? What I'm wanting to do is to remove all the old brake fluid and replace with the ATE fluid.

Thanks!
grin.gif

Not familiar with the Suburban, but in my wife's Honda Odyssey, it took less than a liter of Super Blue, so I cannot imagine you'll be using anywhere near 5 liters. Unless you're replacing ATE Super Blue with ATE Super Blue, you'll see the blue color right off with little waste (just make sure to keep the reservoir topped off).

I replaced the brake fluid on a '92 Toyota Previa and a '96 Saturn SL2 last week using Prestone DOT3 and a compressed air operated Vacula.

Despite the fluid being original in both vehicles, I think I used about 1/3 qt per line before clear fluid was coming out.

Five liters?

shocked.gif

One liter should be more than enough for most complete system flushes. Most of the fluid lives in the reservoir. Extra care is needed when dealing with some ABS systems.

While I love the ATE fluids, the "Blue" is technically not a DOT approved fluid simply because of its color . . . believe it or not.

Usually takes me 2 to 2-1/2 quarts. Disc brake pistons hold a lot more than you think.

btw, if you have ABS I don't think you won't get the fluid out of that part of the system.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I just wanted to make sure I had enough - not that there's a problem. Obviously I have plenty and can use whatever's left over for the next Suburban I buy (later this year). Thanks!!!

If you just bought the fluid, I would return the leftovers rather than hope the new Suburban takes it all. Unopened brake fluid has a shelf life of about 2 years, but I still don't like leaving it around.

When I do my bleeds, I usually buy 3 litres just incase something is wrong/goes wrong, and then return the one or two unused bottles. Whatever's left over in the opened bottle goes in the reservoir(s) of my other cars.

Quote:

Usually takes me 2 to 2-1/2 quarts. Disc brake pistons hold a lot more than you think.

btw, if you have ABS I don't think you won't get the fluid out of that part of the system.

The pistons don't hold anything. The piston bores will only carry significant fluid volume once the pads are quite worn. If that's the case, you should replace them as part of the job.

I don't know of ANY car/light truck braking system that requires over half a gallon of fluid.

A full system flush should include the ABS section of the system. The fact that it is valve-separated from the main braking loop in many instances means that it can have the oldest fluid in it depending on its past history of engagement. Depending on the system, there are various methods used to correctly flush out the ABS loop.

For reference, Mercedes specifies flushing 250 ml from each wheel during the routine, 2-year service. I'm sure your Suburban takes more.

I'm sure 250 ml has a safety factor built in to ensure all old fluid is flushed out. If using a different color fluid than the old one, one can be much more efficient with the fluid. It's pretty neat watching the color turn green and then blue, or green and then yellow when going back and forth between Super Blue and Typ 200.

Then why is the Motive power bleeder so LARGE. That think holds about a gallon or more!

Quote:

Then why is the Motive power bleeder so LARGE. That think holds about a gallon or more!

If it the tank were smaller, you'd have to keep pumping it up constantly to maintain pressure.

I don't put a drop of fluid in our Motive. It will work fine with air pressure using what's already in the reservoir. And zero clean up.

I don't think the OP will need more than a liter of fluid to do that system. The worst used fluid is at the lowest point in the system, at and around the calipers, and that comes out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back