Bleeding Brakes - Gravity Bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If no one is looking, you can clamp the rubber brake line, also [use rounded pressure pads].
And yes, I know this in not recommended by the manual.

Doesn't work if the brake hose has a rigid inner nylon tube. Besides, it's really a bad idea. A hose is easily plugged. Just shove a pencil (works for ears, too) in, for Pete's sake.

On a car with ABS, to change the brake fluid out, do you just do the normal bleeding process, after sucking the old fluid out of the reservoir and replacing with new? Is there an ABS module that needs draining too?

Originally Posted By: crinkles
On a car with ABS, to change the brake fluid out, do you just do the normal bleeding process, after sucking the old fluid out of the reservoir and replacing with new? Is there an ABS module that needs draining too?

On my '96 Audi I suck out most of the old fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster, and top off with fresh fluid. I then attach a pressure bleeder, which is also filled with fresh fluid, to the reservoir. That way the reservoir is being topped off automatically while bleeding, or rather flushing, the system. The ABS control unit on my car does not require cycling. On newer models cycling the ABS control unit may be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back