Bike for a very short rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
Honda Grom?

LOL! I was kind of thinking the same thing.
smile.gif

A little kid's dirtbike would work for your friend.

Somewhat related: I'm a 5'5" dude with a 26" inseam. What bike could I possibly ride?

I'm thinking one of those reverse trikes would be it for me.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I checked the specs on the Grom. The seat height is 29.7" according to Honda. That's only 2" lower than my "full size" bike. Maybe a Honda Ruckus that's been lowered?

Originally Posted By: whip
Honda Grom?

I have a Honda Grom and a very short girlfriend, 4'10". It's all she can do to get both feet on the ground even on this small bike. (she has not tried to ride it).
It may be a sad statement but maybe she would be better off just riding on the back of someone's bike rather than trying to have her own. To get a bike that can keep up with traffic, that is small enough, I don't know that is available.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My wifes best friend wants to ride. The problem is, she is short. I mean REALLY short. I mean "can't flat-foot a Rebel" short. She's 4'5" tall. So...anything out there someone that short can ride?

Frontrunners now are a Suzuki S40/LS650 Savage, Hyosung GV250, Buell Blast (with the optional low seat), and a Sportster 883 Low.

Any other suggestions?

Honda Helix:

Helixwhite.jpg

26 inch seat height.

Upholstery shop could probably cut it down to 25".

It's a Honda. It's very durable. Some riders have gone over 100,000 miles on the original engine. Oil change is simple. Only takes .8 qt and it doesn't lubricate the transmission so you can use anything. Valve adjusters are on the outside of the valve cover.

Cleveland Cyclewerks Heist:

2011_Cleveland_Cycle_Werks_Cleveland_Cycle_Werks_Heist_620785_i0.jpg

24" seat height.

You have to see the CCW in person. On a computer monitor it just looks like any number of Chinese cheap bobbers. The fit and finish is much better than any other no-name Chi-Com motorcycle. They are still Chinese components, but they are put together, painted, and finished well. Very simple Honda CG OHV clone.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I hate to say it, but motorcycles aren't for everyone.

This is the truth. I have several friends who are MSF instructors, I've even helped them out on occasion. Be it a physical, mental, awareness, or coordination issue, the examples are endless. Some people are simply not cut out to ride.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
A little kid's dirtbike would work for your friend.

Somewhat related: I'm a 5'5" dude with a 26" inseam. What bike could I possibly ride?

I'm thinking one of those reverse trikes would be it for me.

My 4'11" mother rides a Suzuki LS650 Savage.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Why does she need to flat foot it? I can't flat foot much with my 28' inseam. I just put one foot down at a time.

Because she has very little leverage and weight to balance a bike on one foot...she's probably 90lbs.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
My wifes best friend wants to ride. The problem is, she is short. I mean REALLY short. I mean "can't flat-foot a Rebel" short. She's 4'5" tall. So...anything out there someone that short can ride?

Frontrunners now are a Suzuki S40/LS650 Savage, Hyosung GV250, Buell Blast (with the optional low seat), and a Sportster 883 Low.

Any other suggestions?

Honda Helix:

Helixwhite.jpg

26 inch seat height.

Upholstery shop could probably cut it down to 25".

It's a Honda. It's very durable. Some riders have gone over 100,000 miles on the original engine. Oil change is simple. Only takes .8 qt and it doesn't lubricate the transmission so you can use anything. Valve adjusters are on the outside of the valve cover.

Having owned one, I don't think it will work...the floorboards are pretty wide, and they don't have the cutouts some scoots (including my Burgman) have.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I hate to say it, but motorcycles aren't for everyone.

This is the truth. I have several friends who are MSF instructors, I've even helped them out on occasion. Be it a physical, mental, awareness, or coordination issue, the examples are endless. Some people are simply not cut out to ride.

Once they found a bike she could use, she passed the training class...perfect score on the range, one instructor's exact words were "she's a natural".

She did some test-fitting today. The Sportster 883 Super Low is out...way too heavy. The Hyosung would probably work...would need the bars moved back, but that's not too hard.

Then, she got on a somewhat ratty-looking Buell Blast...and her huge grin said it all.

I also discovered that, if wearing thick-soled boots, my wife (a leggy 5'8") can flat-foot a BMW 1150GS adventure bike. (The sales guy was amazed a woman could do that.)

Then, my wife tried to get on the Blast and Tina got on the BMW. Comedy factor: very high.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I know ladies not much taller than that who ride...

Softail Slim is under 24" laden seat height, for less than $100.00 and 45 minutes of your time the rear can be lowered another 1.5 inches. The front can be dropped 1" easily but not as cheaply. The CG on a Softail is very low, much lower than a Sporty.

I've seen Nightsters, Irons and SuperLows with even shorter shocks for small ladies. Forks can be slid up in the trees, lowered cartridges installed, reduced and super reduced reach seats...

It might take some work, but a bike can be fit to her. It doesn't have to be a MoCo bike, they just have some of the best parts availability....

Last edited:
The Softail is WAY too heavy at ~700lbs. Even a ~550lb Sportster was too heavy for her.

At this point, I would be stunned if she didn't end up on a Buell Blast. (Though the dealer wants about twice what that one seems to be worth.)

Having owned one, I don't think it will work...the floorboards are pretty wide, and they don't have the cutouts some scoots (including my Burgman) have.

Burgman 200?
21.gif

2013-suzuki-burgman-200-4_800x0w.jpg

I might get one myself. I'm waiting for them to hit the used market. 75mph top speed.

Seat height is a little higher but it's a Burg'. You know it's a quality machine. Should be comparable to a Buell Blast in seat height.

After years of sports bikes, I never thought I would like these stupid little rubber band drive scooters.
It's like cheating. You just get on and go. No shifting, no fuss, quiet and smooth for a single.. you just ride to enjoy the ride.
The weight on modern scooters is carried low. They handle pretty well for running on such small tires. Beginners can manage the weight and quick steering. Experienced riders can manuever them very well.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I know ladies not much taller than that who ride...

I never said the Woman in question couldn't ride due to her shorter stature. I know a Woman about the same size as the OP mentioned, that rides a Hayabusa very well.

I only said that there are a number of reasons why someone (man or woman) might not be cut out to ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back