BFG AT KO2

JHZR2

Staff member
I’ve owned my 98 S-10 ZR2 since new. It came with 31x10.5R15 BFG All Terrain radials. After about eight years I replaced them with the KO version. The original ones had around 50k miles and about 90% tread.

I drive the truck a lot less these days, so finally pulled the trigger on new ones, since one wasn’t holding air.

I always loved the characteristic hum of the BFG AT tires. The KO2 is a good deal quieter.

Costco aired them up to 35 with nitrogen. I usually run mine higher. With 35 psi these are definitely firmer riding.

All in all I’m pleased, though I do miss the hum a bit!

A386F3AB-7564-40F0-BB49-495F798AFE64.jpeg

Last edited:
My Jeep is on it's 3rd set of BFG AT's since 2008, very happy with them. Last set I put on May 2019, which replaced 5 year old crispy ones (Arizona). Couldn't believe how soft, smooth, and quiet the new ones were.

But I think you mean the KO2. The KO2 came out in 2016 it looks like.

My Jeep is on it's 3rd set of BFG AT's since 2008, very happy with them. Last set I put on May 2019, which replaced 5 year old crispy ones (Arizona). Couldn't believe how soft, smooth, and quiet the new ones were.

But I think you mean the KO2. The KO2 came out in 2016 it looks like.
Lol... yup... KO2!

I absolutely love my BFG K02's on my '19 F150. I wanted an LT tire to be prepared if I tow and something more aggressive for the Buffalo winters over the horribly lackluster Michelin Primacy XCs. I have about 15k on them and they have a lot of life left. They work darn good in the snow, pretty quiet in all honesty for an A/T, and they LOOK Great.

Good choice.

I've got them on both of my Wranglers. I'm a big fan. They've pulled me through everything I could throw at them. 40k on my 2018 Jeep and lots of tread left. On road or off, I've got nothing but good to say about these tires.

I guess I'm one that doesn't feel the love of these tires. Although snowflake on the mountain rated, they are average in the snow at best. But a decent all season performer. I just took off a set on my 2000 Blazer for something a little quieter and smoother riding.

I guess I'm one that doesn't feel the love of these tires. Although snowflake on the mountain rated, they are average in the snow at best. But a decent all season performer. I just took off a set on my 2000 Blazer for something a little quieter and smoother riding.

I don’t mind the hum, and the new ones have much less of it or any noise at all...

always liked the ride of these tires, no complaints. I think these new ones are firmer, but I don’t mind a firmer ride personally.

I’ve owned my 98 S-10 ZR2 since new. It came with 31x10.5R15 BFG All Terrain radials. After about eight years I replaced them with the KO version. The original ones had around 50k miles and about 90% tread.

I drive the truck a lot less these days, so finally pulled the trigger on new ones, since one wasn’t holding air.

I always loved the characteristic hum of the BFG AT tires. The KO2 is a good deal quieter.

Costco aired them up to 35 with nitrogen. I usually run mine higher. With 35 psi these are definitely firmer riding.

All in all I’m pleased, though I do miss the hum a bit!

View attachment 41671
I have about 45k miles on the duratracs on my truck, about 4.5 years old. They were reasonably quiet when new but didn't get enough rotations or a proper alignment (truck has 202k miles now) so they are cupped and pretty noisy now. They work so good in the mud though. When I need to replace them it's good to be them or the ko2. I hear nothing but good about them.
IMG_20210118_144019.jpg

Btw my duratracs with the winter rating were amazing in the snow and ice when new. After a few years they got hard and stopped wearing (only down to like 9/32nds tread) now they are pretty bad in rain and on packed ice. My friend has ko2s on his truck and has the same issue after a few years.

They still work great in deep snow and mid though.

KO2s are the gold standard, I don’t know anyone that hates them. When I was in the market for new tires, I went w the Pirelli scorpion AT plus only because I wanted to try something different. Didn’t hurt that i got them for $150 less than the KO2s (all 4 tires). I’m really happy w the pirellis. My buddy just replaced his factory GY wranglers on his Tacoma w KO2s and he’s says they are 10x better than the GY, but he did get over 40k miles on the GY.
01123138-4E3B-4129-AE40-669F00D99118.jpeg
37BBBE62-A5EA-4187-BEA2-1C48371D7EA6.jpeg

We’re considering a set of A/T tires for the wife’s 4Runner when we get a new set of wheels.

The truck came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T (highway tire?) 684II, and the ride is nice and quiet.

Since this is the wife’s DD, and our family road trip vehicle, I hate to sacrifice that quiet ride of the OEM tires.

But the wife likes the look of the more aggressive wheels and tires.

We do want a tire that has the 3PMSF rating, because we tend to take a trip or 2 up to N. IN. where she’s from (we’re actually driving up there later this week to introduce the baby to her family), during the winter months.

Just looking for something that has good wet performance, good looks, and good winter weather performance without being too noisy.

We would rarely do anything that could be called off-roading. Maybe exploring a mountain gravel road while camping, or something like that. Our 4Runner is 2WD, so we wouldn’t take it wheeling or anything.

In other words, I want it all!

Of course, the K02 is one of the most-mentioned tires in 4Runner and off-roading circles. I’d say the K02 and the Falken Wildpeak AT3W are probably the biggest 2 tires you hear about on 4runner.org. Also the Nitto Terra Grappler and Toyo Open Country.

Anyone here tried different brands of A/T tires in your truck?

We’re considering a set of A/T tires for the wife’s 4Runner when we get a new set of wheels.

The truck came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T (highway tire?) 684II, and the ride is nice and quiet.

Since this is the wife’s DD, and our family road trip vehicle, I hate to sacrifice that quiet ride of the OEM tires.

We do want a tire that has the 3PMSF rating, because we tend to take a trip or 2 up to N. IN. where she’s from (we’re actually driving up there later this week to introduce the baby to her family), during the winter months.

Just looking for something that has good wet performance, good looks, and good winter weather performance without being too noisy.

We would rarely do anything that could be called off-roading. Maybe exploring a mountain gravel road while camping, or something like that. Our 4Runner is 2WD, so we wouldn’t take it wheeling or anything.

Of course, the K02 is one of the most-mentioned tires in 4Runner and off-roading circles. I’d say the K02 and the Falken Wildpeak AT3W are probably the biggest 2 tires you hear about on 4runner.org. Also the Nitto Terra Grappler and Toyo Open Country.

My experiences
Yokahama geolander AT - didn’t like the tire wear
Kumho AT - decent price, aggressive look, louder than I like, got a flat
Pirelli Scorpion ATR - non aggressive, quiet, good price, good performance, no longer available, I liked these tire but many people did not per online reviews
Pirelli Scorpion AT plus - more aggressive than the ATR, still quiet, good performance

if you want an quiet AT tire, check out the Goodyear Adventure AT w Kevlar, may not be aggressive looking but it performed very well on my buddy’s Tacoma

What attributes are you looking for that would change your mind over the AT KO2 tires?

If you’re throwing money, possibly $1k or more, at wheels, ai have to think that an extra few bucks per tire isn’t a big deal. And I dont know that the BFG AT are any more expensive than other mainline tires from reputable manufacturers.

Any AT tire will have a bit more “hum”, though the KO2 are notably quieter than prior versions.

Frankly, to me they’re the standard, and I’d go with them. I know someone who has been pleased with the cooper AT tires... My MIL had Michelin AT2 tires and they worked well for her use, but didn’t last that long.

What attributes are you looking for that would change your mind over the AT KO2 tires?

If you’re throwing money, possibly $1k or more, at wheels, ai have to think that an extra few bucks per tire isn’t a big deal. And I dont know that the BFG AT are any more expensive than other mainline tires from reputable manufacturers.

Any AT tire will have a bit more “hum”, though the KO2 are notably quieter than prior versions.

Frankly, to me they’re the standard, and I’d go with them. I know someone who has been pleased with the cooper AT tires... My MIL had Michelin AT2 tires and they worked well for her use, but didn’t last that long.
Just doing some research to learn the differences in performance between the different brands.

Which has better rain performance, light snow/ice performance, which is the quietest, etc, along with value.

If there’s a model that stands above the others in performance, but cost a little more, that wouldn’t bother me.

I guess the aggressive K02 design just looks like it would be pretty noisy, but maybe not?

Just doing some research to learn the differences in performance between the different brands.

Which has better rain performance, light snow/ice performance, which is the quietest, etc, along with value.

If there’s a model that stands above the others in performance, but cost a little more, that wouldn’t bother me.

I guess the aggressive K02 design just looks like it would be pretty noisy, but maybe not?
That’s great. I’ve always been good with tire rack testing. Individual folks’ reviews on tires are not necessarily objective, and often based upon memory.

The BFG “hum” was never offensive. I’ve been running variant of this tire since I bought my S-10 ZR2 new in 1998. These definitely are quieter. My Ram came with some cheap old range E AT tires, different sound but a hum too. Not as pronounced as older BFG AT but still there. It’s just the noise tires of this type and size make. It’s not like other tires, from the ultra low rolling resistance tires on my hybrid, to the super sport tires on my bmw don’t have their own unique sounds.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input.

Perhaps I’ll start a thread on All Terrain tires.

So many people are driving SUVs and pickups now, and are gravitating towards All Terrain tires.

Lots of folks would probably have input on the subject.

A lot of people would probably also be helped in their decision making when buying a set of tires like this, also.

I love the KO2's. I've had BFG A/T's on all my Jeeps aside from a set of Cooper AT3's. The BFGs have been the best I've tried, I do notice that as the KO2's age they do hum a bit louder around 50mph, even though they are pretty quiet when new.

Back