Beyond annoyed - touched a curb with my wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
You are actually going to have this repaired?

This is just one of many things that are going to happen to your vehicle when it comes to minor cosmetic damage.

I don't agree. I have new looking thirty year old cars, and I'm not one to just grin and bear it.

Our cars don't have dents though others say its impossible, and while I'll accept things that I can't control, like some minor front bumper putting from road dust and dirt, anything I can do to keep my vehicles as new, I try to do.

Yeah, some idiot illegal may run into me tomorrow, but I like my cars to look and feel new, even when they're old.

I'll absolutely be fixing it, and I'll be using a pro...

All my new-used cars came pre-scratched...but they always had a good smooth paint finish and I maintained them that way, and any peeling patches got professionally repainted, so I can empathize.

...OTOH my "new" 10yr old alloys long ago lost some paint and lustre but not their integrity...they run smooth and are air tight for months, even though they have some mounting scratches at the rim's edge...they look a whole lot better than the rashed wheel covers they replaced, and they look fine if you don't take up-close macro-photos of them...

still...like OP, I do want to refinish them....for those who have, can they be repainted WITH THE TIRE ON THEM?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

This will wear off when the new one starts driving; at that point it is a ? of priorities.

As someone who got a brand new car 6 months after my license (my 98 S-10 zr2, which I still have and is pretty mint), I know that kids can take care of their stuff.

Yes, priorities will be safety and setting my kids up to maximize their chance of success, but none of that has a bit to do with the spots on my wheel 16 years out from the first driving.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

still...like OP, I do want to refinish them....for those who have, can they be repainted WITH THE TIRE ON THEM?

For a tiny, minor touch up, I'd consider doing it on the car/tire mounted. For anything else, I'd want to ensure that the wheel was off, properly prepped, etc.

I bought a set of 15" MB bunts, stripped, and winter chromed (a multi-layer chrome/clear powdercoat) them. It was a cross-country endeavor. For regular silver, I'll bet that there are a lot more options for powder coating.

JH1_6814.jpg

JH1_7203.jpg

If worth keeping, I'd powder coat. That said, I did DIY re-do a set of 14" bunts that I use on my 91 BMW. Prepped them, applied duplicator wheel paint silver and clear, and it is still pretty darn good almost 10 years later.

DSC_0402.jpg

If I did it again,mid probably use the wurth system and actually media blast them, depending upon the complexity. As you can see from this pic where I didn't even get all the brake dust, these were pretty tough to prep. It took me a LOT of time and even more water to get the surface correct.

For the 135i wheel, since I know its powder coated and may have a very tough to match color, I think my best bet is to learn how to properly do touch-up paint, apply it with clear, then wax well. It will help offset corrosion, yet prevent me from ruining the integrity of the rest of the coating or refinishing. I may buy a good pull-off or an oe one if I find a decent deal.

Yeah, some idiot illegal may run into me tomorrow

Nice!

JHZR2.....thanx....

I have had pretty good luck painting, so I may give it a try...with duplicolor wheel silver and then clearcoat...it's just going to be a bit of an inconvenience as they're on the car now...

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Yeah, some idiot illegal may run into me tomorrow

Nice!

It happened to my grandparents. Was before everyone and their brother had a cellphone. She hit them, covered the license plate, spoke only Spanish, and drove off.

Or just as bad, the girl who hit me, with minimum coverage,and caused a three car pileup, so couldn't fulfill her liabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back