Beyond annoyed - touched a curb with my wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Yeah, fortunately it isn't curb rash, but in some ways its more annoying because it means I was further away and literally millimeters was all it took to avoid this. Plus the repair is probably the same...

My driveway has one rather narrow section right before it goes alongside my house, and there are essentially curbs on either side to partition away from the grass on either side. I suppose it was done this way because my home is elevated from the street, so this reduced the angle of the slope.

Anyway, I was driving up, went a bit too far right, and felt the car lift up as the tire climbed the curve. What can you/do you do? Not much. Car went forward (hit it at just about the absolute end of the area where this structure is), and got out to inspect. Thought I was safe, but then I saw this:

952A12B7-D41B-4F11-BA13-5CEA026BC6A8_zpshx9a5unp.jpg

Now, Im sure many would say to ignore it, but I am not interested in that and so I want to know about my options. Obviously I could:
1) Buy a new wheel
2) Buy a used wheel
3) Do an off-car replacement in a shop where the tire is unmounted
4) Do an on-car replacement from a mobile shop

Im not really keen on having an extra wheel laying around, and the damage is pretty minor. So #1 and 2 are more or less out.

So what are the pros/cons of the other two? I recall some say that repairs don't last and others have said they last for years. The car sees summer sun but no real road salt. Lots of brake dust though, especially in the winter when its tougher to wash the car.

What is the most likely repair approach? Would a shop that does off-car repairs, in a real shop, not a trailer, dismount the tire, and repaint the whole wheel, or would anyone with max access to materials, workspace, etc. usually only do a local repair, given this damage?

Is it possible to spot-fix it, or is full-wheel repaint the only acceptable method? I would imagine one would want to prevent the blending of paint on a wheel if they could.

Car is a 2011 135i with less than 10k.

Thanks!

I have had repairs done and they have always lasted.

Park the car and drop the rim and tire off at a reputable place...

Nothing down by that big rotting cruise ship, what is it the SS United States? You may not see it again...
smile.gif

I had a local joint fix one of my trailer rims and one of my C4 corvette rims when I had it. Good as new.

That's super minor and can be easily fixed by a mobile repair guy without taking the tire off. Should be less than a $100.

I would get some Megs Ultimate Compound($10 at WM) to minimize the damage. Clean with some rubbing alcohol. Then some Duplicolor silver touch up paint(or spray), glob on plastic lid, dip toothpick in it, then touch the pick to the chips and slowly let it fill in the chips.

Found this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/duplicolor-wheel-coating-silver-11-oz.-aerosol-hwp101/7141149-P

You are actually going to have this repaired?

This is just one of many things that are going to happen to your vehicle when it comes to minor cosmetic damage. I would go to the BMW dealership and ask them for matching wheel paint, they sell this very thing, and touch it up myself. Just make sure to clean the surface well so the paint adheres well. Usually applying several layers of paint, and a layer of clear will do fine and the end result is you will hardly be able to notice it. Cost about 25 bucks and you get to keep the extra paint for the future repairs you'll have to do like this one.

I feel your pain. Searched for six months for a nice, clean MDX. Found one a month ago in great condition. Was at the local Wally World last week and they have a couple of islands surrounded by curbing. A car turned from the opposite direction in the middle of the lane so had to cut my turn sharply and heard that terrible noise. Checked damage and took a gouge out of two of the spokes and looks horrible. Went back to check the curb and discovered the area I ran into was disintegrated and full of sharp cement edges, perfect for cutting into rims. Thanks for keeping your parking lot up Wally World.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

This is just one of many things that are going to happen to your vehicle when it comes to minor cosmetic damage.

I don't agree. I have new looking thirty year old cars, and I'm not one to just grin and bear it.

Our cars don't have dents though others say its impossible, and while I'll accept things that I can't control, like some minor front bumper putting from road dust and dirt, anything I can do to keep my vehicles as new, I try to do.

Yeah, some idiot illegal may run into me tomorrow, but I like my cars to look and feel new, even when they're old.

I'll absolutely be fixing it, and I'll be using a pro...

Take it to one of those places that basically trades you for the same wheel (refinished). Wheels America and other places do that for like $150-200/wheel, and that includes the mounting, dismounting, and spin-balancing. So yes, option 3.

Believe me, the "touch-up" doesn't look right (option 4). My dealer did that on the M3 and made it worse, and on one wheel it just came off after a few months. I'm actually taking my wheel elsewhere to be completely refinished since they screwed it up so bad.

A used wheel will probably be as much as your car payment, and finding a single used wheel will be difficult -- they'll all be beat to [censored], or refinished for $400.

PM me if you want some details or photos.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Take it to one of those places that basically trades you for the same wheel (refinished). Wheels America and other places do that for like $150-200/wheel, and that includes the mounting, dismounting, and spin-balancing. So yes, option 3.

Believe me, the "touch-up" doesn't look right (option 4). My dealer did that on the M3 and made it worse, and on one wheel it just came off after a few months. I'm actually taking my wheel elsewhere to be completely refinished since they screwed it up so bad.

A used wheel will probably be as much as your car payment, and finding a single used wheel will be difficult -- they'll all be beat to [censored], or refinished for $400.

PM me if you want some details or photos.

Fortunately I don't have a car payment. I would be concerned that the "refinished" wheel that was traded had some damage far worse than mine did, and they won't be honest about the history.

I'd rather get my own fixed and know its history and repairs.

In that case, Tischer BMW has a big online parts department and sells stuff at a steep discount. It will still probably be over $500.

Is there a way to get a repair done but it is on my specific wheel? I.e. No trade in?

Even if I have to wait without a wheel, that's why I have a spare car and jackstands that work with the BMW lifting points...

I'd be annoyed with myself if my wheels were that dirty...

I don't think I've ever had a wheel that dirty... on a daily driver pickup truck.

I hear ya. But with all the snow and nastiness, plus work and family issues (death of family member and support of the remaining one), Ive not had the opportunity. Some things take priority to dust on wheels.

And these pads make the wheels black with one drive to work (~9miles each way).

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/

My father used the local franchise of this company to fix a bent Al rim on an Impala. They all have mobile trailer units and will come to your car. They remove the wheel from the car and with the tire on take it into the trailer and fix it completely.

The price is usually $100-150 depending on how bad the damage is. Yours should be able to be fixed rather quickly.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is there a way to get a repair done but it is on my specific wheel? I.e. No trade in?

Even if I have to wait without a wheel, that's why I have a spare car and jackstands that work with the BMW lifting points...

Yes, places like Wheels America can just fix your own wheel. You could also do some Googling as there are probably some local places by you. Ask in the regional forums on the BMW sites.

One of those trailer type places was recommended a few times in the BMW forums... But there never is follow-up on how well it lasts...

Now, I did refinish a set of BMW basket weaves about 10 years ago and the paint is still good... But I'm a bit more concerned about the paint on the 135i wheel looking good and lasting, given how it is designed and appears.

I wouldn't bother with it, sounds like your wheels get dirty immediately. If it really bothers you to have a little scratch on your wheel why doesn't the brake dust bother you? I'd think you'd be itching to put some new brake pads on there that aren't blowing their load all over your wheels

Wheels are powder coated .. Hopefully someone can blend close paint, as there will be no color code.
frown.gif

U want ultimate fix buy new rim and re mount tire...

I had something similar got all 4 wheels powder coated so they matched perfectly

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wouldn't bother with it, sounds like your wheels get dirty immediately. If it really bothers you to have a little scratch on your wheel why doesn't the brake dust bother you? I'd think you'd be itching to put some new brake pads on there that aren't blowing their load all over your wheels

Why? The pads are for high performance braking. While no supercar, a 135i with M-sport suspension is a pretty darn capable car.

Scratches are introduction points for moisture and corrosion, which is exactly why that's important. In the winter time when driving in the car, let alone washing it, is difficult, a little brake dust wont cause any real damage.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

This is just one of many things that are going to happen to your vehicle when it comes to minor cosmetic damage.

I don't agree. I have new looking thirty year old cars, and I'm not one to just grin and bear it.

Our cars don't have dents though others say its impossible, and while I'll accept things that I can't control, like some minor front bumper putting from road dust and dirt, anything I can do to keep my vehicles as new, I try to do.

Yeah, some idiot illegal may run into me tomorrow, but I like my cars to look and feel new, even when they're old.

I'll absolutely be fixing it, and I'll be using a pro...

This will wear off when the new one starts driving; at that point it is a ? of priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back