Best wide walk-behind? Toro, JD?*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a wide mower and want it to last. Found the Toro Recycler 55 AD ES with electric start and the JD R54VE.
Also found swedish brand jonsered 2156.
Any reflections?

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Scag is very good also, deck material is super thick.

I think he's actually looking at 21"-22" mowers, the deck is measured in cm in Europe. R54VE is a 54 cm mower. I was thinking big walk behinds at first too.

Toro makes excellent mowers. That, or a Lawn Boy (made by Toro) would be my first choice.

The Jonsered mowers look like they are made by Husqvarna.

Does one brand have a better parts/dealer network in your area?

You can't go wrong with Toro, except I'd get a Super Recycler over the Recycler you listed. Supers are aluminum decked and tend to mulch more reliably.

Joel

ok, I can find the super recycler in 54 cm. I also found one called hi-vac which was 66cm and that one is much more expensive, Kawasaki engine etc.

I would not mind something around 60 cm but they seem scarce, or I can't find them. I'm not looking for a Scag type, rather a wide regular mower.

Mother's lawn is like 25 000sq ft and she doesn't like a rider since it is quite ondulated so...

I just purchased a Toro super bagger with a Honda engine. I have only used it a few hours but I really like it so far. It is easy to use and it makes the lawn look great. I didn't realize how bad my old mower was until it got a new Toro. For me I was comparing a super Bagger Toro to the Honda HRX. There is a local Toro dealer/repair facility in my area, so that was the deciding factor.

I purchased a Toro snow blower a few years ago and have been really satisfied with it. I don't think you can go wrong with a Toro.

Ok, I will probably get a toro auto drive electric start.
But how sturdy is the auto drive? Is it easy to fix if it breakes?

ok, done. Ended up with a 22" mcculloch m56-190dwa with a honda gcv190 engine on it. 35% less than the competing toro with the briggs...
we'll see how this goes..
Any thoughts on how to break in the honda best? sae 30, 10w30 or 5w40? Manual says SJ or later.

Last edited:
The manual likely specifies 30WT for 60*F or higher, or 10W-30 for temperatures below that. I personally would change the oil out after 2 or 3 uses. If it's the GCV190 and not the GSV190, it has an aluminum cylinder bore, and you'll see a lot of metal in the oil after a few uses. It will eventually clear up and stay very clean. The GSV190 has a steel cylinder liner and probably wouldn't dirty the oil as much on the first few initial uses.

I have a GCV160 that was broken in with the included 30WT oil and changed after (2) hour-long uses. Then I changed it again after another (2) hour-long uses. After that, it would stay looking clean for 6 months. Lately, I just change it once a season. My engine is from 2004, so it has some "miles" on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back