Best used car for $5K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the same thing. Trying to decide which is more reliable, 5 year old chevy or 12 year old Toyota/Honda.

All the hondas around here seem to have motor swaps, subwoofers and leather lined trunks. Everything in this price range has been poorly repainted.

Found this: http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/2254151629.html

Minor bumper damage my butt.

I have realized again that craigslist is more entertaining than the comics.

How about a low mileage late 90's Cadillac? We are looking for something safe and reliable to carry 3 kids (two car seats). A few hundred miles a week.

There are lots of 15 year old garage kept caddy's that look good with less than 60k on them w/ northstars.

Would love to get a sequoia, but they are $12,000 with 150k miles.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
How about a low mileage late 90's Cadillac? We are looking for something safe and reliable to carry 3 kids (two car seats). A few hundred miles a week.

There are lots of 15 year old garage kept caddy's that look good with less than 60k on them w/ northstars.

Would love to get a sequoia, but they are $12,000 with 150k miles.

If you are entertaining the idea of a Sequoia, why not an Expedition or a Tahoe?

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

Use caution with used Cadillacs. I've owned two, and one of them had its Northstar replaced for oil consumption. This is a somewhat common issue, and is only made worse by old ladies driving them to church and back.

You also have a TON of potential electrical issues and most of them had electronic struts, costing big money to replace. Passive ones are available from the aftermarket, but that's still a significant cost if one goes bad.

If you are looking for a reliable family cruiser, honestly, a used Cadillac from that era would not be high on my list of candidates.

^ The market equalizes for annoyances. When a Caddy gets too expensive for a mechanic to fix a DIYer can come out way ahead. Someone would argue that the market OVER-equalizes, and if cunning, a $5k cadillac will be newer and lower miles, than, say, a Corolla.
lol.gif

It is slightly disappointing the Northstar didn't share much with other GM divisions (except a little Oldsmobile) and that might hurt parts availability slightly. Still probably better than a 30 year old english sports car, for example... and the internet equalizes all.

My big hangup with a cadillac is my state's insane excise/personal property tax, based on MSRP, and once a car drops to 5 years old its value never drops again.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ The market equalizes for annoyances. When a Caddy gets too expensive for a mechanic to fix a DIYer can come out way ahead. Someone would argue that the market OVER-equalizes, and if cunning, a $5k cadillac will be newer and lower miles, than, say, a Corolla.
lol.gif

I agree. They can be excellent deals. But I stand by what I said at the close of my post: if the intended use of the vehicle is a reliable daily driver for family use, I think there are better options. For me, or for a toy project, absolutely: a bargain of a car.

I paid $6K for my '99 Corolla (I know that's more than $5K, but it's in the same ballpark) with 65K miles back in '05. This car is still my daily driver, and even though the car now has 244K miles, I still drive it between IL, OH, and MI on the weekends. I've had very few problems with the car and most of the maintenance that's been done on it has been the normal stuff; changing oil and filters, replacing tires, etc. The car still gets high 30s (MPG) on the highway too. Point is, I don't think you can beat a Corolla in this price range.

I`d say any GM with the 3800. They`re super easy to work on,parts are cheap,parts are everywhere,and they last forever. I`d contiplated picking one up for a good cheap daily driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d say any GM with the 3800. They`re super easy to work on,parts are cheap,parts are everywhere,and they last forever. I`d contiplated picking one up for a good cheap daily driver.

+1

For $5000 I would buy a 2 door 2004-2005 Civic LX. You can find a nice low mile, unmolested car for this amount and they are inexpensive to keep on the road. Parts are also dirt cheap, it has small wheels/tires and uses 87 octane gas.

Either 5 speed or Auto trans gets 40+ MPG on the highway.

Good luck trying to find a 04-05 Civic for anything near $5K near me. Unless it has 190K you are paying 7 grand minimum.

The recent gas price increase along with the recession have made cars that are economical much more expensive than they were even 4-5 months ago.

FIND & buy a clean older civic (or corolla or subaru, etc.) for $2000 and put $3000 in a savings account for potential repairs and maintenance. There are plenty of older cars with higher mileage that are in good mechanical shape that will end up costing you less than something newer with "less than XX,XXX miles"...

Finding the right used car is the key. It is also the challenge, and the fun IMHO.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Here's one-Chevy/Geo Prism!

he will have to go to the hood to find one of those. he's better off finding a pontiac vibe, they are easier to find.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
For $5000 I would buy a 2 door 2004-2005 Civic LX. You can find a nice low mile, unmolested car for this amount and they are inexpensive to keep on the road.

My friends kid went looking for one yesterday for about 5K bucks in Miami along the 27TH Ave area..They were all molested big time.

Its all moot anyways. I bought a 2004 Ion 5spd with 105K on it for $4200 the other day. 1 owner - Runs perfect, the previous owner took pretty good car of it. It even has an almost new air filter in it, I swear almost every used car I've ever test driven looks like it had a brown/black brick in the air filter box. I did an oil change on it yesterday even though the OLM didn't go off yet. The canister filter had some pleats that were not symmetrical at all...is that any cause for concern? I did not have any areas that were separated from the frame of the filter or anything so I would think it was ok. The Ion is getting a rinse OCI of 3K with Advance Auto 5w 30 and then I will put Synpower 5-30 in and reset the OLM.

I was looking for something bigger than a civic, the 3800 powered GM cars have been somewhat appealing. Also the Avalons look good - I am leery of getting a sludger though.

Every Honda I have looked at has been 'customized' or has had an engine swap - they point this out as a selling point. I want something that has not been touched and that I won't have to touch.

I have considered the Yukon, but it and the Expedition are really too big. Ideal size if we go SUV would be 4runner/Pathfinder. The sequoia would be nice, but it is really too big too.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman

94-2001 integra LS/RS/GS..
I get up to 40mpg driving 60mph
parts are cheap, car is super reliable, and really fun to drive

My GS-R never got better than 32mpg. But it was loads of fun and still ran well when I sold it at 200,000 mi.

Oh GSR has a shorter gearing plus i bet you didnt drive at 60-65 on your commutes. I have to drive at 65-70 to achieve 35+ on a daily basis. Right when the light comes on, i get about 380 to the tank and fill up about 10.7-9 gallons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back