Best spark plugs for 96 Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted Motorcraft platinum plugs but when I went to Autozone and they did not have them. They convinced me to try Autolite Iridium. I have not put them in but my fuel economy is down a bit and the car is running a bit rough when under throttle like passing someone. The car has nearly 140,000 miles now and I bought the car at 82,000 and have no idea if plugs have ever been changed.

Motorcraft SP-432. Very surprised that Autozone did not have any in stock since they are one of the 5 most popular Motorcraft spark plug numbers.

The factory Motorcraft part # (SP-432)
Funny, same as my Dwight D. Eisenhower Taurus
Looking over the wires and coil at this age isn't uncalled for

Check RockAuto.

Autolite makes Motorcraft plugs anyway.

That said, I'd use NGK Laser Platinum or Denso double platinum if they're not difficult to change.

If they are difficult to change, then I'd use iridium so they'll last longer so you won't have to do them again for a long time. NGK Laser Iridium or Denso Iridium :Long-Life or Denso Iridium TT.

So lesee, you have a almost 20 year old car that has 136K mi and likely has orig plugs... How long do you plan on keeping it??? Five, six years?? If it were mine it'd get exactly same grade plug that was installed when it left St Thomas ON(panther assembly plant), that'd be either Motor Craft or Autolite... As mentioned it's also probably ready for wires, especially if they are orig...

As above, the only plugs you need to be running are listed on the emission sticker underneath the hood. Modulars are happy with Motorcrafts. Might need to look at the wires also. Eventhough '96s had about the 4th updated redesign of plug wires, they can still short out. Usually a miss when going into overdrive under light throttle will be the first hint of bad wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back