Best places in Seattle to visit ?

I might visit Seattle in October. What are the best places to visit in Seattle ?

Is ferry ride worth the time and money ?

Well you got T-Mobile Safeco Field park home of the Mariners which will likely make it to the playoffs and possibly World Series this year if your into baseball that will be in October. That’s the only place I’d visit there lol.

Did the ferry to San Juan Island; it was pretty neat. Did one of the smaller whale watching tours, which was enjoyable.

I found the Pike Market to be overly crowded and not particularly interesting.

Mt St Helens and Mt Ranier were good visits, as were the Seattle Chinese and Japanese Gardens.

Last edited:
@Dave Hess , are you going to Seattle proper/downtown or an area nearby? I’ve lived in both for 20 years, and toured family and friends a lot. Tell us where and for how long and I and others will give you options.

If you are downtown and the weather is nice, riding as a passenger on the ferry over to Bremerton and back is indeed fun, and cheap if you aren’t taking a car. Are you flying/staying, or will you have a car? Also dictates what you want to focus on for activities.

Last edited:
I hope that it’s cleaned up a little in the couple of years since we’ve been there. We went to do the underground tour and you had to walk past several homeless camps, boarded up shops, and you definitely had to watch where you stepped while walking on the sidewalk, I’m told it wasn’t dog poo.
My wife’s cousin has lived in the area for a long time and she was sad at how the area went down hill. We ventured out beyond the city and had a great time, but downtown was memorable for all the wrong reasons when we went.

I wanted to take the ferry to Vancouver but my traveling companion was illegal due to overstaying his visa.

Would Boeing have tours?

The main Boeing plant up north in Everett has tours - not cheap the last time I checked, but they are pretty darn neat. The old Boeing Museum, aka “Museum of Flight” is much closer to downtown just south a few miles, and is a VERY impressive collection and display. It is IMO head-and-shoulders the finest air museum in the US.

The Olympic Peninsula is pretty nice. Maybe Olumpic National Park, although they have a varied range of different experiences. The rainforest is on the west side but the north side (Hurricane Ridge and Sol Duc) is pretty nice. I remember spending a couple of days in the Port Angeles/Sequim area.

Closer to Seattle itself, there are plenty of oyster farms around Puget Sound. If you like wine, Woodinville is pretty nice. It's not a proper wine grape region, but they make wine from grapes transported there from other parts of the Pacific NW. They used to have Redhook there, but that's more or less gone where they've moved production elsewhere, including a tiny brewpub in Seattle.

Isn't the Space Needle the main attraction of Seattle?

Been there, and once you're at the top there's really not much else to do. But the whole Seattle Center can be kind of fun, especially with kids. Maybe take the Seattle Monorail? One place to eat is ****'s (yes I had to modify that because of the auto censor over a nickname for Richard) Drive-In, although their location in the Queen Anne neighborhood isn't a drive-in. Bill Gates did part of his 60 Minutes interview there. Apparently he still goes there and waits in line like everyone else. This one was at a location that's an actual drive-in.

Billions served

@Dave Hess , are you going to Seattle proper/downtown or an area nearby? I’ve lived in both for 20 years, and toured family and friends a lot. Tell us where and for how long and I and others will give you options.

If you are downtown and the weather is nice, riding as a passenger on the ferry over to Bremerton and back is indeed fun, and cheap if you aren’t taking a car. Are you flying/staying, or will you have a car? Also dictates what you want to focus on for activities.

Will be in downtown area for 5 days.

Eating and sightseeing in the better areas.

No Space Needle visit, will definitely go to Boeing Museum.

Been there, and once you're at the top there's really not much else to do. But the whole Seattle Center can be kind of fun, especially with kids. Maybe take the Seattle Monorail? One place to eat is ****'s (yes I had to modify that because of the auto censor over a nickname for Richard) Drive-In, although their location in the Queen Anne neighborhood isn't a drive-in. Bill Gates did part of his 60 Minutes interview there. Apparently he still goes there and waits in line like everyone else. This one was at a location that's an actual drive-in.

Billions served

OK, that didn’t work. This is the place. Nothing fancy, but really cheap.

Bill-Gates-Standing.jpg

Another must see is the Museum of Pop Culture which is adjacent to the Space Needle.

Museum of Pop Culture

Be sure to take in the local cuisine such as Salmon, Fish and Chips, Dungeness Crab rolls and Clam Chowder. Many great (psuedo) hole-in-the-wall type storefront eateries at Pike Place Market for reasonable costs. Be sure to check out the local flowers and produce at Pike Place and grab a local cup of Joe (e.g., Tully's, Seattles Best, Starbucks, etc.). The REI outfitters flagship store in Seattle is a veritable playground for outdoorsy types of all ages.

Will be in downtown area for 5 days.

Eating and sightseeing in the better areas.

No Space Needle visit, will definitely go to Boeing Museum.
I will jot down some ideas a little later. Having a family day atm, and a distant cousin who has also lived/worked in central/downtown Seattle a long time is here. I will poll her also and her info will be fresher than mine.

The main Boeing plant up north in Everett has tours - not cheap the last time I checked, but they are pretty darn neat. The old Boeing Museum, aka “Museum of Flight” is much closer to downtown just south a few miles, and is a VERY impressive collection and display. It is IMO head-and-shoulders the finest air museum in the US.

The Smithsonian would like to have a word with you......

Back