Best option for oil and filter 2022 Kia Seltos EX (heavy usage)? Inline 4 base AWD model no turbo. 0W-20 oil

Thanks. Interesting. I'd never consider an oil that didn't match the spec of my manual to a T while in any kind of warranty coverage. Especially the manufacturer 100k power train I am under. I'm not going for longer OCI until after that time either.

If the Amsoil SS has a fully compliant 0W-20 I'd consider it. Assuming they do, what do you think makes it one of the best choices?

View attachment 176875
So this is your factory service recommendations
Personally, with my experience watching several H/K engines unalive themselves (Theta II & Nu), a little thicker and a little more frequent OCI can't hurt

Any good full synthetic 5w30 and the OE filter changed every 5k should keep this engine running for longer

OE intervals for "normal usage" is 12m/7,500 miles
OE intervals for "severe usage" is 6m/3,750 miles

I would think 6 months/5k miles is a happy medium, as to not waste good synthetic oil

Interesting footnote in the manual
After 10 years or 100,000 miles, we recommend to use severe maintenance schedule
Yes, this exact page is what I was referencing when typing up this thread.

I'll be doing "Severe Usage" OCI especially while under warranty just for the extra piece of mind on the warranty coverage and engine issues.

However, I won't be doing a thicker oil for this exact reason. I can't let there be wiggle room on their end to deny a warranty claim. They don't play fair.

Thanks. Interesting. I'd never consider an oil that didn't match the spec of my manual to a T while in any kind of warranty coverage. Especially the manufacturer 100k power train I am under. I'm not going for longer OCI until after that time either.

If the Amsoil SS has a fully compliant 0W-20 I'd consider it. Assuming they do, what do you think makes it one of the best choices?
Then just go with an oil with the certs you want.

...my efforts to keep the engine running as long as possible).

I'd never consider an oil that didn't match the spec of my manual to a T...
I will give you THE correct answer, but you won't like it. Few will.

We are too late to stop you from buying the Seltos, with the "Kia Surprise" on the inside, and the "Kia Gotcha" in the fine print.

The two things you said cannot be reconciled. To avoid Kia warranty dispute issues, you must never file a Kia warranty claim.

THE correct answer is HPL 10W20, in Wyoming. Western Washington, and all points between. The filter is M1 Extended Performance. 20k mile OCI.

We are too late to stop you from buying the Seltos, with the "Kia Surprise" on the inside, and the "Kia Gotcha" in the fine print.
What is the surprise? And the gotcha?
The two things you said cannot be reconciled. To avoid Kia warranty dispute issues, you must never file a Kia warranty claim.

THE correct answer is HPL 10W20, in Wyoming. Western Washington, and all points between. The filter is M1 Extended Performance. 20k mile OCI.
Ok so you say that for this specific I4 engine, I need to use a higher viscosity oil to properly protect the engine? Can you explain? Why such a long OCI?

What is the surprise? And the gotcha?

Ok so you say that for this specific I4 engine, I need to use a higher viscosity oil to properly protect the engine? Can you explain? Why such a long OCI?
The "surprise inside" to be accurate, is the notorious Nu engine.

The "gotcha" is that Kia knows this engine has problems, yet no matter which oil you use, they still will find language to not cover you.

The specific oil I suggest for you, and OCI, is your best shot at long life.

Please follow up and good luck. My interest here starts with fact that I bought one of the last of the Elantra Touring wagons in 2012, with the Beta 2 engine. I almost waited for the brand new 2013 Elantra GT with this Nu engine.

Make sure you adjust your valves. This 10W20 oil offers very stable viscosity, slightly thicker than the recommended 0W20. It will hold up for 20k miles for you. To repeat, I consider this the best maintenance plan for you.

Last edited:
The "gotcha" is that Kia knows this engine has problems, yet no matter which oil you use, they still will find language to not cover you
Where could I find this language so I can read it for myself?
Make sure you adjust your valves. This 10W20 oil offers very stable viscosity, slightly thicker than the recommended 0W20. It will hold up for 20k miles for you. To repeat, I consider this the best maintenance plan for you.
I'm probably not going to do this. Not based off of one internet suggestion but I'm interested in learning more about how you came to this conclusion. Are you insinuating that a shorter OCI would be somehow harmful? Exactly what adjustments to valves? Why does this engine need thicker viscosity than what they specify?

What you can do is to get oil analyzed as you go say every 2k miles to see how bad fuel dilution is and what oil viscosity it's at that point. It's possible that dilution will make oil dangerously thin within first 2k miles on fresh oil. A little thicker oil cannot hurt engine, while thinner than 'recommended' can.
I'd not run OCIs greater than 5k miles even on VW 504/507 oil that is a 20k oil.

Wife has the same vehicle , I've been using any 5W30 synthetic D1/ Gen 3 SP rated oil with Fram #9688 oil filter every 5K miles / 6 months with great success . No oil burning whatsoever either (unlike my GDI Hyundai engine) .

Reading your original post it occurs to me that you are putting about 2500 miles a month on this vehicle. Is that correct?

Wife has the same vehicle , I've been using any 5W30 synthetic D1/ Gen 3 SP rated oil with Fram #9688 oil filter every 5K miles / 6 months with great success . No oil burning whatsoever either (unlike my GDI Hyundai engine) .
Must be the 1.6L Turbo model because you say it's using 5w-30. Right? I'm in non turbo 2.0L.

Ok I'm going to make a decision on which oil to switch to today. Right now my top contenders are:

1. Valvoline 0W-20 API SP & Dexos1 Gen3 compliant
2. Mobil 1 0W-20 API SP & Dexos1 Gen3 compliant.
3. Royal Purple API SP & Dexos1 Gen2 or 3 Compliant
4. AMSOIL SS (not sure about true compliance?)
5. Sinclair 0W-20 API SP and Dexos1 Gen3 Compliant.

Is AMSOIL SS seriously not certified against API or Dexos etc? Why?

Which is the safest for my 45k mi engine with otherwise no issues other than the standard tick of the in-line 4.

Ok I'm going to make a decision on which oil to switch to today. Right now my top contenders are:

1. Valvoline 0W-20 API SP & Dexos1 Gen3 compliant
2. Mobil 1 0W-20 API SP & Dexos1 Gen3 compliant.
3. Royal Purple API SP & Dexos1 Gen2 or 3 Compliant
4. AMSOIL SS (not sure about true compliance?)
5. Sinclair 0W-20 API SP and Dexos1 Gen3 Compliant.

Is AMSOIL SS seriously not certified against API or Dexos etc? Why?

Which is the safest for my 45k mi engine with otherwise no issues other than the standard tick of the in-line 4.
Pretty much the same question you started with. No clues in the 35 responses so far?

Back